Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking for feedback on an issue that is kind of getting in the way of the purchase. I have been trying to buy a subaru for 15 yrs but I have had a back surgery and i always found the seat was too short and the lumbar was too high up. Luckily i was able to take a longer test drive to see if it would work for me and it never did. Enter the Ascent. This vehicle is perfect. I have dogs and guitars and a lot of stuff I haul around and the seat is fantastic in the limited and the touring and I like the drive way better than the Audi and and the Volvo. Everything works but the passenger seat. I was in shock when my partner drove. The seat was way too low and the seat belt is angled in a way that it constantly pokes into my hip. We both drive and we are buying it with the expectations to travel in it with all our stuff. The outback and the Forester do have adjustable passenger seats but they are too small and dont work. I have called Subaru especially for the seatbelt. This is an issue that several people have noted. I was thinking i could jam something. In there to push the seatbelt into the same position the driver side seat belt is, have not tried that yet and maybe buy a bunch of pillows to raise the sitting height and then try a bunch of after market lumbar pillows but it does seem crazy to have to do this with a 45K vehicle. Subaru thanked me for my input and noted it which is nice but does not really help, especially with the seat belt angle. I did attempt to convince my partner to let me drive all the time but he was really unhappy with that plan or i also can sit. In the back captains seats. they are better but it also would be a drag to have to sit in the back all the time. I. would basically pay what ever upcharge needed to have a comfortable passenger seat with the leg extension and adjustments. Its so good for a long haul. im not sure why they did this. Back surgery is so lousy,. It was a long time ago but i do need a supportive seat for long drives. I want this vehicle but i am not sure how to make It work. do you think that they will add this soon or anyone have any fixes for this?

·
Banned
85 Posts
I have a limited. I agree the rear seats are much more comfortable than the front. The issue I have w the front seats are the side bolsters and seat bottom. In our car they are hard as rocks and make any trip of greater than 30 minutes not fun at all. I have had to purchase a seat cushion and use it when doing trip longer than 30 minutes. Interesting thing on seats I have had our Ascent serviced twice since we purchased it. Both times (just yesterday) I was given a new Outback and in both cars (leather seats) I found the driver's seats much more comfortable. Also in both cars the side bolsters were very soft and had much more give which meant I was not feeling the pressure from the bolster as I do in the Ascent.

The Ascent is an average car w average design and a terrible ride and intrusive cabin noise on rough surfaces for someone w back issues. Go look at the Telluride or the Palisade. They are much better cars and most news outlets or auto critics rate them much better than the mediocre Ascent.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Hello, I am looking for feedback on an issue that is kind of getting in the way of the purchase. I have been trying to buy a subaru for 15 yrs but I have had a back surgery and i always found the seat was too short and the lumbar was too high up. Luckily i was able to take a longer test drive to see if it would work for me and it never did. Enter the Ascent. This vehicle is perfect. I have dogs and guitars and a lot of stuff I haul around and the seat is fantastic in the limited and the touring and I like the drive way better than the Audi and and the Volvo. Everything works but the passenger seat. I was in shock when my partner drove. The seat was way too low and the seat belt is angled in a way that it constantly pokes into my hip. We both drive and we are buying it with the expectations to travel in it with all our stuff. The outback and the Forester do have adjustable passenger seats but they are too small and dont work. I have called Subaru especially for the seatbelt. This is an issue that several people have noted. I was thinking i could jam something. In there to push the seatbelt into the same position the driver side seat belt is, have not tried that yet and maybe buy a bunch of pillows to raise the sitting height and then try a bunch of after market lumbar pillows but it does seem crazy to have to do this with a 45K vehicle. Subaru thanked me for my input and noted it which is nice but does not really help, especially with the seat belt angle. I did attempt to convince my partner to let me drive all the time but he was really unhappy with that plan or i also can sit. In the back captains seats. they are better but it also would be a drag to have to sit in the back all the time. I. would basically pay what ever upcharge needed to have a comfortable passenger seat with the leg extension and adjustments. Its so good for a long haul. im not sure why they did this. Back surgery is so lousy,. It was a long time ago but i do need a supportive seat for long drives. I want this vehicle but i am not sure how to make It work. do you think that they will add this soon or anyone have any fixes for this?
I would not count on Subaru changing this to meet your needs anytime soon. If you have the budget, maybe you could replace the passenger seat with another drivers seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a limited. I agree the rear seats are much more comfortable than the front. The issue I have w the front seats are the side bolsters and seat bottom. In our car they are hard as rocks and make any trip of greater than 30 minutes not fun at all. I have had to purchase a seat cushion and use it when doing trip longer than 30 minutes. Interesting thing on seats I have had our Ascent serviced twice since we purchased it. Both times (just yesterday) I was given a new Outback and in both cars (leather seats) I found the driver's seats much more comfortable. Also in both cars the side bolsters were very soft and had much more give which meant I was not feeling the pressure from the bolster as I do in the Ascent.

The Ascent is an average car w average design and a terrible ride and intrusive cabin noise on rough surfaces for someone w back issues. Go look at the Telluride or the Palisade. They are much better cars and most news outlets or auto critics rate them much better than the mediocre Ascent.
Oh no I did not find that the seats were hard and i loved the ride. I found the limited seats to be slightly softer than the touring, probably because they dont have the cooling thing in them. My only issue is that the passenger seat does not adjust, i found the driver seat to be really nice!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've owned 107 cars and trucks in my lifetime and most comfortable seats where in an 84 Lincoln Town Car. I don't think any production car today can match those seats including an 05 Mercedes E320 I had. Had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with rock hard seats that I tried just about every type of cushion with no success. Finally had an auto upholstery shop take drivers and front passenger seats out and rebuild them. Results where 100% success as far as comfort. Cost was not cheap, around $800. but made an entirely positive driving and front passenger comfort experience. If you're going to keep your car, perhaps may be a beneficial investment for you to consider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've owned 107 cars and trucks in my lifetime and most comfortable seats where in an 84 Lincoln Town Car. I don't think any production car today can match those seats including an 05 Mercedes E320 I had. Had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with rock hard seats that I tried just about every type of cushion with no success. Finally had an auto upholstery shop take drivers and front passenger seats out and rebuild them. Results where 100% success as far as comfort. Cost was not cheap, around $800. but made an entirely positive driving and front passenger comfort experience. If you're going to keep your car, perhaps may be a beneficial investment for you to consider.
That may be a good solution for the passenger seat. I think the driver seat is good. We have not bought it yet. I need to figure out how to make the seat work, then we will buy it. If the 2021 were to have an adjustable seat I would wait

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

Then why pray tell did you purchase the vehicle if you do not like it? If you still have it, why not sell it. Clearly it does not meet your standards and or preferences. Nor do you think it has the pro-ported value, so sell it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then why pray tell did you purchase the vehicle if you do not like it? If you still have it, why not sell it. Clearly it does not meet your standards and or preferences. Nor do you think it has the pro-ported value, so sell it.
Actually I did not purchase this vehicle. I came to a forum to see if anyone had a fix. I have always found that the people who actually own the vehicle know way more than the people that sell the vehicle and forums in particular have enthusiasts that are pretty creative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 Touring and no one over 140 pounds can sit in the front passenger seat and be comfortable. I'm not considered obese (180 lb), but I'm relegated to the back seat with a chauffeur if I'm not driving myself. :p After taking it to the service department and talking with "corporate" there are no fixes. REALLY a disappointment. I mistakenly assumed that Subaru engineers would be more on top of something like that. The front seats should fit more than just skinny folks!
Seat buckle bruises aside, I think the seats are very comfortable!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
I've had no complaints from either my daughter (300 lbs) or my spouse, (a lot less but much more than 140 lbs) relative to the seat belts in the front seat of my Touring.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have a 2020 Touring and no one over 140 pounds can sit in the front passenger seat and be comfortable. I'm not considered obese (180 lb), but I'm relegated to the back seat with a chauffeur if I'm not driving myself. :p After taking it to the service department and talking with "corporate" there are no fixes. REALLY a disappointment. I mistakenly assumed that Subaru engineers would be more on top of something like that. The front seats should fit more than just skinny folks!
Seat buckle bruises aside, I think the seats are very comfortable!
I assume you did not sit in all the seats to try them out prior to purchase. You have every right to be comfortable in the seat of the car that you purchase but it is your responsibility alone to assure that that is the case prior to purchase. Subaru along with every other manufacturer can not possibly make the optimum seat set up for all body types. Optimizing for one type will take away from another. Depending where someone is on the body type range it may not be significant enough of a negative to warrant passing up on the vehicle. There will however be some percentage for which that is not the case and they will need to buy a different vehicle or spend a large amount of money to custom retrofit the setup and get it approved by the powers that be.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It is weird that the passenger side seat belt is angled toward the hip like it is. We have no issues with it, but I can definitely see this being a problem if you're "hippy", so to speak.

The passenger side seat belt receptacle is 64631XC00AVH and the driver's is 64631FL01AVH. If the driver's side is straighter than the passenger side, maybe one can be installed on the other seat? I know the passenger side receptacle has a wiring harness on it. I'm not sure about the driver's side. It's worth checking out...

I would spend the $40 and buy the passenger side part, then see about bending it straight so that it won't point toward the hip anymore. Of course, bent metal is less strong, yadda yadda yadda... I don't think it would be an issue if it was merely flattened out and not bent back and forth several times.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I know the passenger side receptacle has a wiring harness on it. I'm not sure about the driver's side. It's worth checking out...
the drivers side must to connect to something since it’s tied to the ebrake automatically releasing, and the seatbelt chime/light.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
I almost bought the Outback XT Touring just to get seats that were more adjustable on both the driver's and passenger's sides. I also liked the tighter "hug" of the side bolsters in the Outback (miss having Recaros). Ultimately went with the Ascent for the occasional-use third row and the towing headroom.

We have the Ascent for 6 weeks now and it has less than 150 miles due to quarantine and my wife's surgical recuperation. At this point we have no idea how comfortable we will be in the Ascent seats long term. Due to this thread, I looked at the Ascent's passenger seat but didn't sit in it. I could see that the belt receptacle is definitely angled towards where the hip would be. I don't think that it will be a problem for either of us lightweights, but if it is, I'd definitely have a go at bending it straighter. Subaru dealer would never do this due to potential liability.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is weird that the passenger side seat belt is angled toward the hip like it is. We have no issues with it, but I can definitely see this being a problem if you're "hippy", so to speak.

The passenger side seat belt receptacle is 64631XC00AVH and the driver's is 64631FL01AVH. If the driver's side is straighter than the passenger side, maybe one can be installed on the other seat? I know the passenger side receptacle has a wiring harness on it. I'm not sure about the driver's side. It's worth checking out...

I would spend the $40 and buy the passenger side part, then see about bending it straight so that it won't point toward the hip anymore. Of course, bent metal is less strong, yadda yadda yadda... I don't think it would be an issue if it was merely flattened out and not bent back and forth several times.
It really sucks. Being "hippy", that is, and riding in the passenger seat. I drive 90% of the time, but when we do road trips, we share driving. I always wondered why the passenger seat belt digs into me and the drivers doesn't. Now I know. Just hope someone has some other ideas even if it isn't pretty. I'd add something for any road trip to make that seat more comfortable. While I'd like the leg extension too, the passenger seat belt is the biggest problem for me.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It really sucks. Being "hippy", that is, and riding in the passenger seat. I drive 90% of the time, but when we do road trips, we share driving. I always wondered why the passenger seat belt digs into me and the drivers doesn't. Now I know. Just hope someone has some other ideas even if it isn't pretty. I'd add something for any road trip to make that seat more comfortable. While I'd like the leg extension too, the passenger seat belt is the biggest problem for me.
Sheepskin

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had no complaints from either my daughter (300 lbs) or my spouse, (a lot less but much more than 140 lbs) relative to the seat belts in the front seat of my Touring.
I wonder if there's a difference in the buckle? The service tech only compaired one 2020 Limited Ascent to my Touring to see if my buckle was installed wrong.

They did say that THEY couldn't recommend any fixes because they are a Subaru Service Department. That gave me hope that SOMEONE has a fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder if there's a difference in the buckle? The service tech only compaired one 2020 Limited Ascent to my Touring to see if my buckle was installed wrong.

They did say that THEY couldn't recommend any fixes because they are a Subaru Service Department. That gave me hope that SOMEONE has a fix.
well here I am a year later. I waited an entire year hoping they would fix this and they have not. It’s so obvious, all other seatbelts have some give to them. I showed the dealer and he said he has never had a complaint about the passenger seat not having adjustments or the seatbelt digging into the hip. I literally can not buy this vehicle when it hurts ...a lot ...after a 15 minute sit. I just wanted to cry. I don’t need a luxury vehicle but we are buying it to travel and I don’t want to sit in the back seat for days, This is not a cheap vehicle. I can’t believe i am the only person to have called SOA ...I’m not sure I can wait another year. My Honda has 120k miles on it.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
well here I am a year later. I waited an entire year hoping they would fix this and they have not. It’s so obvious, all other seatbelts have some give to them. I showed the dealer and he said he has never had a complaint about the passenger seat not having adjustments or the seatbelt digging into the hip. I literally can not buy this vehicle when it hurts ...a lot ...after a 15 minute sit. I just wanted to cry. I don’t need a luxury vehicle but we are buying it to travel and I don’t want to sit in the back seat for days, This is not a cheap vehicle. I can’t believe i am the only person to have called SOA ...I’m not sure I can wait another year. My Honda has 120k miles on it.
Other than a seat pad, there really isn't anything else for the lack of seat adjustments, but, when it comes to the seat belts, complaints about this abound across many car lines.

This may help:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The seat belt clip is angled in and is rigid so it digs into your hip. The belt is fine. The driver side clip is totally different and normal. This one has no flex at all so its impossible to push it off your hip. I tried jamming towels in between the seat an the arm of the clip and it kind of worked by thats unacceptable to buy a brand new car and have to do that, this is a design flaw that they are just not fixing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.