Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read another post that addressed this but I cannot find it. The passenger rear door won't open now from the inside or outside...used the unlock button on the driver door...nothing...all the other doors open. Child lock checked previously when I could open the door...any ideas?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I remember reading in a previous post that it was an issue with the door lock -- the door won't unlock. It's something that the dealer can fix pretty easily, I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any solution to this yet? Kind of a big deal- although if this is a thing I know which of my sons to put on that side :D
The Problem list.
"

Robert.Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnannwn View Post

Problem Fix
Door will not open from inside/outside

My rear right door did this (wouldn't open from the outside). Service fixed it in 10 minutes. A clip shifted during the train ride.

"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Passenger Rear Door

This past weekend, sometimes the passenger rear door wouldn’t open. Yesterday, I changed 5 things, one or more of which may have something to do with the door now WORKING:

On page 198 of the Manual, I changed the Driver Door Unlock and the Rear Gate Unlock to Unlock all Doors

On page 199 of the Manual, I changed the Auto Door Lock to Vehicle Speed and the Door Unlock to Shift into Park,

At the outside of the passenger rear door, I put my right hand on the door handle and my left hand to the left of the door handle, near the left edge of the door. I pressed IN with moderate pressure with BOTH hands, then opened the door like normal with my right hand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glad to see that the fix seems to be relatively simple, and probably just the result of something that may need to be re-secured inside the door panel. Wouldn't expect it to be a common problem across all units however.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
Glad to see that the fix seems to be relatively simple, and probably just the result of something that may need to be re-secured inside the door panel. Wouldn't expect it to be a common problem across all units however.
Most units are shipped the same way, so, if the design didn't take into account the vibrations of train shipping, I'd expect there to be a decent number of cases like this.

Fact is, a number of things get jostled during rail shipment, which is why the cars go through an inspection checklist upon arrival at the dealership. So, perhaps this should be added to the checklist?

It's going into my feedback to SoA when I send in my notes - along with some kudos to the dealership's service department who not just fixed it before I could finish signing the final paperwork, but logged it as well, which also generated the automated calls to (a) thank me for using them for service, and (b) ask if I was satisfied. So (the important part for everyone else), it's been logged in the system at least once.

I've heard of similar things (stuff being jostled during rail transit - not specifically door mechanisms) on the Gen 4 Outbacks. I've put 222,000 miles on my 2010 Outback (as of this morning's last drive with it), and a lot of that has been beach driving, crappy road driving (including over ruts that ate a sidewall on a tire creating a dimple and bulge), driving through quarries and trails and sand pits, light rock crawling and more... nothing has ever shaken loose during my adventures.

Crossing my fingers, but, with Subaru hearing from me literally at least once a month, believe me, if I run into anything, or if all of you do and post it in these forums or in the Subaru Ascent Facebook group I help run online, I will definitely be sending it in my monthly reports.

As it is, they're already monitoring the general "problems" thread - which I pointed out to them last week.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Most units are shipped the same way, so, if the design didn't take into account the vibrations of train shipping, I'd expect there to be a decent number of cases like this.

Fact is, a number of things get jostled during rail shipment, which is why the cars go through an inspection checklist upon arrival at the dealership. So, perhaps this should be added to the checklist?

It's going into my feedback to SoA when I send in my notes - along with some kudos to the dealership's service department who not just fixed it before I could finish signing the final paperwork, but logged it as well, which also generated the automated calls to (a) thank me for using them for service, and (b) ask if I was satisfied. So (the important part for everyone else), it's been logged in the system at least once.

I've heard of similar things (stuff being jostled during rail transit - not specifically door mechanisms) on the Gen 4 Outbacks. I've put 222,000 miles on my 2010 Outback (as of this morning's last drive with it), and a lot of that has been beach driving, crappy road driving (including over ruts that ate a sidewall on a tire creating a dimple and bulge), driving through quarries and trails and sand pits, light rock crawling and more... nothing has ever shaken loose during my adventures.

Crossing my fingers, but, with Subaru hearing from me literally at least once a month, believe me, if I run into anything, or if all of you do and post it in these forums or in the Subaru Ascent Facebook group I help run online, I will definitely be sending it in my monthly reports.

As it is, they're already monitoring the general "problems" thread - which I pointed out to them last week.
@RobertMauro can you post your Ascent Facebook group link here? I'd love to join if you're allowing any of us to join. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
We are having the same issue with our rear passenger door handle. Reporting it to SOA and our dealership.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
We are having the same issue with our rear passenger door handle. Reporting it to SOA and our dealership.

Good news is it's under ten minutes to fix for the service department.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep hearing this is a very simple fix, but what is the fix? Is this something a normal consumer can do? Or must we take it in to a dealership?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I keep hearing this is a very simple fix, but what is the fix? Is this something a normal consumer can do? Or must we take it in to a dealership?
I'd like to know this too in case it pops up on mine. I'm all for taking a car under warranty to the dealership but if its that simple it may more convenient to fix myself.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts