Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Tow Rite hitch and had it installed by etrailer.com in Wentzville, MO on Wed. The aftermarket hitch did not come with the quick release pins that hold the cover on when not using the hitch. I see them listed on the install instructions for the factory hitch but w/o a p/n.

Etrailer used my Ascent on their part listing and you can see it Here

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Part number and info...

I purchased a Tow Rite hitch and had it installed by etrailer.com in Wentzville, MO on Wed. The aftermarket hitch did not come with the quick release pins that hold the cover on when not using the hitch. I see them listed on the install instructions for the factory hitch but w/o a p/n.

The quarter turn fasteners are part number L101SXC700.

Also, keep in mind that though Tow Rite, Draw Tite and U-Haul all claim their hitches are rated for 5,000 pounds, they're all missing the subframe supports that come with the OEM hitch. Those supports will not work with the aftermarket hitches, so, one can't buy them separately and integrate them into the Tow Rite, Draw Tite or U-Haul hitches.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Also, keep in mind that though Tow Rite, Draw Tite and U-Haul all claim their hitches are rated for 5,000 pounds, they're all missing the subframe supports that come with the OEM hitch. Those supports will not work with the aftermarket hitches, so, one can't buy them separately and integrate them into the Tow Rite, Draw Tite or U-Haul hitches.
Not having the subframe supports is a problem, isn't it?

I looked up the Draw Tite hitch online and it doesn't really look like, or attach like, the OEM hitch, but I'm absolutely no hitch expert for sure!

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Not having the subframe supports is a problem, isn't it?

I looked up the Draw Tite hitch online and it doesn't really look like, or attach like, the OEM hitch, but I'm absolutely no hitch expert for sure!
I'm no expert either, but the Subaru hitch clearly moves the "pulling" force to the sub frame, while the aftermarket hitches literally pull on the bumper "push" mounts".

I suspect Subaru took the more difficult route, including building mounting points into the sub-frame for a reason.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'm no expert either, but the Subaru hitch clearly moves the "pulling" force to the sub frame, while the aftermarket hitches literally pull on the bumper "push" mounts".

I suspect Subaru took the more difficult route, including building mounting points into the sub-frame for a reason.
If there's a problem, the failure results would be critical at the connections (assume pulling action); the Subaru would fail by shear mode and the aftermarket would fail by tensile mode. In a layman's term, the aftermarket short-cut the engineering portion, and the potential burden would be on the car owners.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts

I can't find a picture, btw, so, just a warning. I am not sure if this comes with the locking clip. It probably doesn't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If there's a problem, the failure results would be critical at the connections (assume pulling action); the Subaru would fail by shear mode and the aftermarket would fail by tensile mode. In a layman's term, the aftermarket short-cut the engineering portion, and the potential burden would be on the car owners.
I'm glad we have this thread as more Ascents are produced and more folks likely go with both dealer as well as aftermarket options. I came by this thread looking for the part number for the twist fasteners so thank you. I however did want to throw this out that I am not an engineer but I do know how to google and it looked to me like shear strength is generally considered to be HALF the amount of tensile strength. The aftermarket hitch uses 8 bolts which if they are of the Grade 8 variety each carries more than 150,000 lbs per inch maximum tensile load before stretching. Again I am not an expert but I will bet money you simply won't find a case of anybody losing their entire hitch assembly because they tow 5,000 lbs with an aftermarket hitch. The design of a hitch that correctly utilizes multiple high grade bolts should not be the determining factor of the weight rating as it is very likely able to physically hold more weight than any one of us could ever attempt to move.
Generally cars are way underrated these days anyway because they don't actually calculate the weight based on what the car is capable of moving, they factor in what it is capable of stopping, maneuvering, and pulling up/down hills at length. Back in the day before so many aftermarket options were available we pulled 10,000+ lbs off bumper pulls held in by four Grade 8 bolts, as there were no other options unless you went to a goose neck design. My 1991 F250 7.3L diesel with Class 5 receiver held in by six grade 8 bolts may be rated for 2x or 3x the weight of the Ascent but from experience I can tell you the brakes aren't nearly as good as the 2019 Ascent. So ultimately it comes down to a matter of what the driver considers to be safe and what the environment/conditions will allow. The printed rating alone is not the end-all, be-all. In reality it may be much less, based on factors like weight inside the car, aerodynamic properties of trailer, driver experience, or perhaps even a little more in a condition of necessity and with appropriate caution/skill applied. My two cents.
Thanks for the input and by all means, please, any engineers jump in and correct or add to this so that as more folks are searching for this information it is available in the correct form.

Reactions: RobCompton

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure why these wouldn't work; cheaper and metal...?

Also, while this is an older thread- for what it's worth, when trying to track down a receiver at the local U-Haul he found a shop that had a dozen hitches (with 'rona, steel/supply chain and all is a thing...). He called and the guy with the hitches was pretty abrupt with my guy- he wouldn't transfer any since it turns out he has a deal with the local Subaru dealership. U-Haul gets the cars from the dealership, he installs (for the same price as any customer), and the dealership would then pass on their premium to the customers for the service. Basically, dealership is making a pretty penny just to work with the U-Haul guy & he gets regular business from the dealership vs. waiting for folks in need of those specific hitches to come around.

Point is A. screw dealerships & screw the guy hoarding hitches and B. not sure if there's much, if any, difference between what U-Haul is sourcing and what Subaru claims to be slapping on the cars; in this case they are apparently identical?
Lesson learned (which we should all know by now) is, don't pay a dealership for anything unless you have absolutely no other choice.............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts