Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone knows if and why subaru's doesn't have parking sensors available as an add-on? specifically the ultrasonic sensors on the front? I think the back have it but not on the front

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nope. None on front. But automatic braking which, I think, might in theory keep you from actually running into things? There was a thread on this- I asked it, too, and I think this was the general consensus?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it will break for you when you are parking, only when you are driving, but I could be wrong, I am searching for alternatives because I rely on parking sensors when parking my 17 accord and 15 crv, and now ascent will be bigger, longer and wider hood, I wish subaru offer it, i'm willing to pay extra for that than fixing a bumper and long conversation with the wife

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't think it will break for you when you are parking, only when you are driving, but I could be wrong, I am searching for alternatives because I rely on parking sensors when parking my 17 accord and 15 crv, and now ascent will be bigger, longer and wider hood, I wish subaru offer it, i'm willing to pay extra for that than fixing a bumper and long conversation with the wife
Agreed. I rely on mine as well. That and the electric side mirrors are two things I wish were available. We will have the forward camera and that might be as effective but only time will tell. Will be a learning curve with hopefully no scuffed bumper in the meantime.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed. I rely on mine as well. That and the electric side mirrors are two things I wish were available. We will have the forward camera and that might be as effective but only time will tell. Will be a learning curve with hopefully no scuffed bumper in the meantime.
The problem is I ordered the limited as I want to justify the price to the wife, I like the concept/purpose of the front camera, and wish too that is available as an option to limited as that is the only feature of the touring that I will be regretting by not ordering the touring, the others I can live without, but if I could find something as an alternative I will not be regretting with the limited trim.

So far my alternatives are fensens & pearl, the thing is they are bulky and will cover the state name on the plate, the other DIY ultrasonic and electromagnetic sensors requires wiring and drilling and I don't think I will do that to a new car

·
Registered
598 Posts
Rear parking sensors are on the limited and touring. Displays on screen while reversing and has audible beeps as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rear parking sensors are on the limited and touring. Displays on screen while reversing and has audible beeps as well.
Rear I have no problems but I am more interested on what are my options for having parking sensors at front also (on the limited trim), this is really helpful in parallel parking the car on a tight spot

·
Registered
598 Posts
Rear I have no problems but I am more interested on what are my options for having parking sensors at front also (on the limited trim), this is really helpful in parallel parking the car on a tight spot
Yah unfortunately Subaru doesn’t offer front sensors yet. Not sure what the aftermarket offers.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You don't back in to park everywhere? Plus you should know your car and rely on your senses.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't back in to park everywhere? Plus you should know your car and rely on your senses.
No I don't as for some parking structures requires front in first and most of them are in angle too, try parking back in first if someone is honking at you and I think most of the time you need to move forward when you parallel park

·
Registered
646 Posts
No I don't as for some parking structures requires front in first and most of them are in angle too, try parking back in first if someone is honking at you and I think most of the time you need to move forward when you parallel park
Angle in is even easier. Plus you're going to have a front camera to see things. I guess I've just backed in so much it's just second nature, never been honked at while trying to back in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Angle in is even easier. Plus you're going to have a front camera to see things. I guess I've just backed in so much it's just second nature, never been honked at while trying to back in.
I ordered a limited (mentioned on post #5), I want to see that in action especially in a one way parking lots when you are pulling out

·
Registered
646 Posts
I ordered a limited (mentioned on post #5), I want to see that in action especially in a one way parking lots when you are pulling out
What action? I'm not talking about backing in to a one way angled lot ... I'm saying that's even easier to park and back out of. I'm all for technology and new sensors but that shouldn't trump knowing how to drive your car. It should be an assist that you should never rely on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I drove siennna van for 10 years. It’s just a few inches shorter then Ascent (I believe)

Depending the height of the driver affecting the visibility over the hood, parking in tight sports was much, much easier with the aid front and back sonars.

The only reason I ordered Touring is for front camera, this decision was based on my parking experience with the van.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So far my alternatives are fensens & pearl, the thing is they are bulky and will cover the state name on the plate, the other DIY ultrasonic and electromagnetic sensors requires wiring and drilling and I don't think I will do that to a new car
I think for what you are looking for, the FenSens and Pearl Rearvision systems are your only options right now for a hassle free no drilling or wiring install.

The Pearl Rearvision is way overpriced at $399, I feel a reasonable price would be at the $199 range. The FenSens system looks more reasonable at $149 but has no video just parking sensors. Since these will be installed on the front bumper, I just wonder how well these licsense plate frames hold up after getting backed into by other cars a few times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two months in on my 2019 Ascent and I've already dented up my front bumper when trying to turn around in a tight driveway (owner had a tree stomp I didn't see). The lack of a front parking sensor was my biggest issue when transitioning from my Audi Q3 to the Ascent. There is no reason a vehicle this big shouldn't have it. What if the tree stomp was a small dog or even worse a child. Shame on you Subaru! Dealer offers a $1,000 add on - no camera attachment - just an audible alert parking sensor.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I do not believe the sensors are in play while parking since the speed is too slow. This is true for the rears as well. When I have my hitch mount bike rack on the sensor indicates a obstacle and would try and stop the vehicle if I were going too fast. It doesn't stop me as long as I am moving very slowly. It is sort of an over ride.

You can install a front bumper camera which would feed the infotainment screen. From what I have read it is a simple install since the Touring trim level already has it installed. The harness is present and ready for a connection.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,480 Posts
You can install a front bumper camera which would feed the infotainment screen. From what I have read it is a simple install since the Touring trim level already has it installed. The harness is present and ready for a connection.
This has been noted in several threads that it's not simple...apparently, the harness on the non-Touring trims doesn't have the connections for the front camera.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts