Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked for this but am not finding a clear answer which might just be because I don’t fully understand how some of the features on the Ascent work yet?
My last two cars have been big vehicles and both had parking sensors on the front and rear both. I like and use(d) them a lot more than I thought I would simply because I couldn’t see over the hood of either vehicle when inching into a parking spot or my own garage. Both vehicles had backup cameras which are helpful but I really have gotten used to the audible chirp as a guideline, as well. I know the Ascent has rear collision avoidance but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that it will NOT have an audible chirping front parking sensor and instead just has the collision avoidance braking in the front, too? I assume that means it won’t LET me run into anything? Even on the corners? What if I *want* to inch more closely than it wants me to? Anyone with experience have answers? The only two Ascents I have been in were both Limited and we ordered a Touring so I didn’t get to see/experience all bells and whistles yet, like the front facing camera. Please advise if you can shed some light and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
492 Posts
We got the Limited and we’ve never had any of those bells, whistles, or chirps in any of our cars. So, unfortunately, I can’t help you out here but I’m interested to hear what others and Carl say about this.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I have looked for this but am not finding a clear answer which might just be because I don’t fully understand how some of the features on the Ascent work yet?
My last two cars have been big vehicles and both had parking sensors on the front and rear both. I like and use(d) them a lot more than I thought I would simply because I couldn’t see over the hood of either vehicle when inching into a parking spot or my own garage. Both vehicles had backup cameras which are helpful but I really have gotten used to the audible chirp as a guideline, as well. I know the Ascent has rear collision avoidance but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that it will NOT have an audible chirping front parking sensor and instead just has the collision avoidance braking in the front, too? I assume that means it won’t LET me run into anything? Even on the corners? What if I *want* to inch more closely than it wants me to? Anyone with experience have answers? The only two Ascents I have been in were both Limited and we ordered a Touring so I didn’t get to see/experience all bells and whistles yet, like the front facing camera. Please advise if you can shed some light and thanks in advance.
https://carmanuals2.com/get/subaru-ascent-2019-owner-s-manual-112362

The manual has a solid in depth explanation. At quick glance there is definitely rear collision braking

·
Registered
492 Posts
there is no front sonar. I have confirmed before placing order for Touring. I can't imagine parking this thing in tight places without either sonars or front camera.
Park by feel. My wife bumps into my work bench every time she parks. LOL been meaning to glue some bump strips on the floor.
Lol, poor work bench, haha.

I was thinking about those bump things too but then I knew I'd probably trip over them walking around when the vehicle isn't parked there. You could try the hanging tennis ball trick or maybe the sonar stop light thing they sell at the big box stores.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The only two Ascents I have been in were both Limited and we ordered a Touring so I didn’t get to see/experience all bells and whistles yet, like the front facing camera. Please advise if you can shed some light and thanks in advance.
Touring has the front wide angle camera, that's it. No other sensors on the front - that's what tennis balls on string in your garage are for. :smile_big:

Reverse Automatic Braking (sonar) is an option on the premium, standard on the limited and touring, not available on the base.

Blind Spot / Rear Cross Traffic Alert (radar) is standard on the premium and above, not available on the base.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts