Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop
Brakes on and shift to N
Engage E brake
Let off brakes to let car “settle”
Shift to P

Anyone else do this when parking? I was told a while ago by a senior mechanic that it reduces wear on drivetrain

Definitely makes the Ascent less clunky when shifting back to drive later, especially on a hill.

I also come to a complete stop when going from reverse to drive to reduce wear

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
I’ve never compared doing that to doing anything else but it sounds worth trying to compare.
Personally I pull the ebrake after shifting to park, which is after stopping of course. I don’t release the brake pedal until I hear the ebrake fully engage.
The dealer parked my ascent on a slight incline and didn’t set the ebrake Friday. It gave a displeased grunt when shifting out of park so I apologized to her and I won’t be back to that dealership.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Either that method, or engaging the parking brake before moving the lever into park is appropriate. I haven't found much difference between the two, but varying things such as incline may affect things, making the Brake->Neutral->E-brake->Park method best.

·
Registered
816 Posts
How about engaging the AVH then place the shifter into park,I believe this also engages the e- brake.I’ve noticed this a few times with the steps I mentioned the next day when I go to start up when I noticed the e-brake was applied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, we are noticing a lot of 'random' instances of the parking brake applied and we cannot figure out exactly what we're doing that is automatically setting the e-brake. We suspect it is something to do with AVH, but have not pinpointed it yet. We leave AVH on all the time. I pull into the garage, step on brake, shift into P and release brake. Bam, e-brake is on. No idea what I did that it didn't like.. we don't think I removed my seat belt yet..? It's hard to pin-point the exact actions because I don't always realize the e-brake is on until the next start.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
How about engaging the AVH then place the shifter into park,I believe this also engages the e- brake.I’ve noticed this a few times with the steps I mentioned the next day when I go to start up when I noticed the e-brake was applied.
Don't use AVH for this purpose. It may shift off.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Stop
Brakes on and shift to N
Engage E brake
Let off brakes to let car “settle”
Shift to P

Anyone else do this when parking? I was told a while ago by a senior mechanic that it reduces wear on drivetrain

Definitely makes the Ascent less clunky when shifting back to drive later, especially on a hill.

I also come to a complete stop when going from reverse to drive to reduce wear
That is how i park, every day, as my driveway is an incline. If not, it will clunk bigtime shifting into gear. This is true regardless of vehicles I have owned.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Don't use AVH for this purpose. It may shift off.
Maybe I said it wrong,if the AVH is already engaged during normal driving when you go to park placing the shifter into PARK the e-brake should engage.This happens at least for me whether the surface is flat or at a incline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts