Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Ascent have any tools to release the parking brake in case the "electric" operation fails? Our 2010 Outback comes with tools and instructions how to release the parking brake in case of electronics failure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Manual page 350-351

Looks like if its a system failure you have to call Subaru. If the switch itself fails applying the accelerator with all the doors closed and your seat belt on will release the parking brake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Manual page 350-351

Looks like if its a system failure you have to call Subaru. If the switch itself fails applying the accelerator with all the doors closed and your seat belt on will release the parking brake.

Seems the Outback was designed with a resolution available to driver, while this vehicle was not. Not a fan of something that can leave you stranded now, where previously a manual override was designed in.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's Sunday, and I'm in a parking lot. My 2019 Ascent is not starting. Cranks, but no bueno. I figure it's a fuel pump problem, as my dealership (Bob Baker in Carlsbad CA) just did the fuel pump recall two days ago :rolleyes: I had thought that the other dealer did that recall in December (when I got rear ended and the body shop sent it over to a local dealer to finish up), but I figured they all know what has been done, and maybe this is a new fuel pump fixit.

Anyway, AAA arrives, but the guy can't get the parking brake to disengage. Me, I've never tried to take the brake off without the engine running. I try all sorts of sequences, and even pushed AVH on/off, nothing. The parking brake will not disengage. I look in the manual. When I read "If your parking brake cannot be released... contact your Subaru dealer and have them release your parking brake", I tell the AAA guy to have a nice day and he leaves.

I call Subaru Roadside Assistance. They have no idea how to release the parking brake. Now the Subaru-beckoned tow driver is on his way... I think (haven't heard a peep since AAA left).

Was loving this car, but if my dealership screwed me, I'm dropping Subaru altogether. Competent dealerships are part of the deal.

I sure had better things to do today than to wait for two tows.

By the way, when I search for "tow problem parking brake" in this forum, all I get are trailer posts. Interesting yes. But helpful, not right now. We need a different key word.

F.S. / L.S.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Totally random but this saved me one time with my other SUV. My vehicle was in the garage and would crank but no start. Googled it and a guy said to pump the gas while turning the key. I thought to myself... maybe in my 85 Bronco.... tried it and it started and has never happened again. While knows. Sorry and good luck

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah thanks, we did try that.

Now all the electronic displays have shut down, and the rear hatch is beeping like a sonafagun.

When I calles back Roadside Assistance and opted for the automated ETA report, it said "Your tow company, Undefined, will be arriving in, Undefined, minutes." Really?

L.S.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Did you try this on page 351
"If you press the parking brake switch
under the following conditions, the parking brake will not be released.
– The ignition switch is in the “ACC” or “LOCK”/“OFF” position.
– You are not depressing the brake pedal."

I remember when I was doing my rear brakes and forgot to release the parking brake it was a pita to get the brake released... I think my solution at the time was starting it while on jacks, which I did not like at all. I realize this doesn't help if you're unable to start the engine though. I did find that removing power does NOT release the brake so you can X that off your checklist of things to try.

Theres also this from page 323 "In case the engine does not start by the normal engine start procedure, move the select lever to the “P” position, and switch the power to “ACC”. Depress the brake pedal, and press the push-button ignition switch for at least 15 seconds. The engine may start. Only use this engine start procedure in case of emergency."

Best of luck getting it going again. Did the tow company not try putting the wheels on rollers to move it?

·
Registered
421 Posts
That last one about the 15 seconds is interesting. But now that the car has disintegrated into no dash and rear hatch beeps, I think the battery is toast. We didn't crank more than needed, but we did try numerous permutations (including ACC, the one before/after that, brake pedal, etc.).

Finally got an operator who gave me an ETA of 10 minutes for the tow truck. That was 24 minutes ago.

F.S.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Update: The tow guy that Subaru Starlink / Roadside Assistance sent had some good game. I told him about the cranking, then parking brake wouldn't disengage, then dash going blank and rear hatch beeping. He grunted something, pulled a jumper cable and hooked up. Tried cranking, yes but no start. The parking brake disengaged fine -- yeah, I guess the battery had taken a dive and maybe the parking brake defaults to Engaged when battery is critically low. Ascent went up and onto the flatbed.

The guy dropped the Ascent into the middle of a parking space at the dealership, a foot from the back wall to let cars get by in front. I had to be impressed, with the curb / incline and adjacent car to deal with.

I'll deal with the dealership tomorrow I guess.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
@FirstSubie sounds like a rough night but I'm glad to hear you finally got her to the dealer. They owe you big time if its indeed related to the fuel pump they just worked on. Keep us posted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.