Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I noticed that when remote starting the car and I get in and forget to press the brake and start button the shifter is locked out, but I can still disengage the parking brake
I guess that's not odd because in any car without the electric parking brake that would be the case

However: the parking brake doesn't seem to be aware of the status of the vehicle at all.
I tried setting the brake while in drive and already moving (very slowly) and it worked, bringining me to a really jerky stop.

I'm worried about what if someone pulls that switch accidentally while I'm at a decent speed?
I know parking brakes typically aren't very strong and when you manually apply them you would notice that you're doing something wrong before it's too late, but the electrically activated brake engages to full in about a second seemingly with no regard to what else may be going on.

long story short: If someone (driver or passenger) triggers the parking brake, will the car end up in the ditch??

Is it too much to ask that the parking brake only engage while in park?
And that it disengage automatically when shifting out of park?
Heck, with all the automation there should be an option to have it automatically engage when shifted into park.

Longer story shorter: why is there even a button for the parking brake?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The parking brake is also called an emergency brake. There are very good reasons to be able to engage it while driving. So yes, it is too much to ask for it only to be engaged while parked.

Under normal conditions the parking brake is automatically released when the gas pedal is pressed.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Angry beeps!!!

The car is aware of the status of the parking brake, even if the parking brake isn't aware of the status of the car. :grin: :tango_face_wink:

What that means is that the car will often disengage it if you try to move from a stop and forgot to disengage it yourself. Also, if you are moving at a certain speed (I don't know what the threshold is for the Ascent, and I am not willing to test, sorry), and try to engage it, the car should "angry beep" at you and refuse to turn it on. Even my 2010 Outback would do that.

There are a couple stories of that not working on some cars, from time to time. Dunno why. But that's what's supposed to happen.

·
Registered
978 Posts
First it should be pointed out that electric emergency/parking brakes have been used for 10+ years by many brands. They all are basically made by the same supplier and all seem to work exactly the same.

To operate them while moving you must hold the button for more than a simple split second. They all give an audible warning before activating and if your moving at speed they all activate at a reduced braking pressure to avoid causing loss of control. Yep they are pretty smart.

The reasons Auto makers are using them.

#1 Pull handles and heavy foot levers cause severe bodily injury to the driver in severe accidents.
#2 The electric brake activates when an accident is detected preventing/reducing secondary rollaway collisions.

#3 Easier to effectively use by the fairer sex
#4 Automatic release prevents damage caused by driving off with Ebrake pulled.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First it should be pointed out that electric emergency/parking brakes have been used for 10+ years by many brands. They all are basically made by the same supplier and all seem to work exactly the same.

To operate them while moving you must hold the button for more than a simple split second. They all give an audible warning before activating and if your moving at speed they all activate at a reduced braking pressure to avoid causing loss of control. Yep they are pretty smart.

#1 Pull handles and heavy foot levers cause severe bodily injury to the driver in severe accidents.
#2 The electric brake activates when an accident is detected preventing/reducing secondary rollaway collisions.

Ok, that's the key. I had visions of it deploying full force and causing a crash

I still think it should engage/disengage when shifting in/out of park though.

And I tried to drive out of it but it didn't seem to work. I'll give it another try.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread because a reader's question to Car and Driver about the e-brake in their Porsche elicited a very similar answer as provided by @Subiesailor above.

I don't recall reading this in the Ascent owner's manual but will try it out at moderate speed on an empty road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread because a reader's question to Car and Driver about the e-brake in their Porsche elicited a very similar answer as provided by @Subiesailor above.

I don't recall reading this in the Ascent owner's manual but will try it out at moderate speed on an empty road.
I have a 2019 Ascent Touring Model.
when I in my car, in line with others, waiting inside car, with parking brake on and engine off, thought that I was having car trouble! After I started car and shifted into Drive … the car would not move! The parking break does not disengage at all. The electronic brake auto disengaged when car put into drive.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
You have to disengage the Parking Brake with the button manually by design.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my experience, the car must be running, in D or R, and seatbelt buckled. If those conditions are met, when you apply accelerator, the parking break will automatically disengage.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
In my experience, the car must be running, in D or R, and seatbelt buckled. If those conditions are met, when you apply accelerator, the parking break will automatically disengage.
That's what I've observed but I typically release the brake myself. The "automatic" release is a bit sudden making for a less smooth takeoff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts