Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started in my 2020 Ascent, when I put the car in park the parking brake activates. In another thread in years past this has been a problem, do they have a fix?

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
Does the parking brake activate each time as soon as you shift to park, or does it activate after switching the vehicle off?

If the latter:
“When the electronic parking brake has not been used for a long period of time, the electronic parking brake may operate automatically after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. This occurs due to checking the proper operation of the electronic parking brake and does not indicate a malfunction.”

Does the brake indicator on your dash blink? It blinks when there’s a malfunction detected. So if it’s not blinking the system should be operating normally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has done it today after the ignition is switched off and when I just put it in park.
Does the parking brake activate each time as soon as you shift to park, or does it activate after switching the vehicle off?

If the latter:
“When the electronic parking brake has not been used for a long period of time, the electronic parking brake may operate automatically after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. This occurs due to checking the proper operation of the electronic parking brake and does not indicate a malfunction.”

Does the brake indicator on your dash blink? It blinks when there’s a malfunction detected. So if it’s not blinking the system should be operating normally.

Subaru called me and said on page 347 of the manual it is normal if the brake has not been used in a while it will cycle like this several times and then quit.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,292 Posts
In addition to the above, the parking brake will automatically activate if the car is stopped with the AVH and you open the driver's door before putting it in Park. This is a situation where the driver might think the car is in Park (because it's not moving on its own but it's really just held with AVH) and then opens the door to get out, etc. The transmission remains in Drive, but the Ascent will automatically set its parking brake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts