Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes the parking brake seems to know when I want to go and it releases by itself if I engage R or D. Then sometimes it won't release until I press the button to release it. I have yet to understand if there's a pattern here. On a side note, I also sometimes feel like the car is so intelligent that it has a sense of humor and is toying with me...:D:oops:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sometimes the parking brake seems to know when I want to go and it releases by itself if I engage R or D. Then sometimes it won't release until I press the button to release it. I have yet to understand if there's a pattern here. On a side note, I also sometimes feel like the car is so intelligent that it has a sense of humor and is toying with me...:D:oops:
The parking brake will release if you give it a lot of gas - I know it is in the manual as such. I've done it a few times but I have trained myself to always reach for the button as I park and as I leave.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
@Janner if you meet all the prequisites it’ll turn off when you just tap the gas: Doors closed, seatbelt on, gear shift in drive, brake and start/stop pressed if remote started...I probably missed something.
@Eroi50 I think you’re right. The car is smarter than us and it likes to make sure we don’t forget!
As far as I know we haven’t reached a complete consensus about what causes the parking brake to engage automatically either...

·
Registered
270 Posts
@Janner if you meet all the prequisites it’ll turn off when you just tap the gas: Doors closed, seatbelt on, gear shift in drive, brake and start/stop pressed if remote started...I probably missed something.
@Eroi50 I think you’re right. The car is smarter than us and it likes to make sure we don’t forget!
As far as I know we haven’t reached a complete consensus about what causes the parking brake to engage automatically either...
The parking brake engages automatically?

·
Registered
270 Posts
It can, after you put it in park or are stationary in drive for too long. I’m still not 100% sure what conditions have to be met for it to engage itself so I still check it every time.
Thanks for the tip. I found two references in the manual. Are there other situations?

Page 345: "When the electronic parking brake has not been used for a long period of time, the electronic parking brake may operate automatically after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. This occurs due to checking the proper operation of the electronic parking brake and does not indicate a malfunction."

Page 367: "In the following cases, after the vehicle has been stopped by the Re-verse Automatic Braking system, brake control is released and the electronic parking brake operates." It goes on to list the conditions.

As for the original question, I don't see any indication that the parking brake should release when you shift out of park. It should stay on until you press the accelerator or turn it off manually. If that's not the case, something is wrong. (I think)

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
It can, after you put it in park or are stationary in drive for too long. I’m still not 100% sure what conditions have to be met for it to engage itself so I still check it every time.

It's either determined by this:

Or by the numerous scenarios on pages 344-347 (yes, 4 whole pages on it) in this version of the online manual, plus the extra pages in the Eyesight manual related to it.

I am not going to try to decipher the 9 or 10 pages of scenarios, so, I will go with option 1 above instead, and just try to remember to turn it off before I drive. :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

Seriously though, I am not going to try to summarize it.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
As for the original question, I don't see any indication that the parking brake should release when you shift out of park. It should stay on until you press the accelerator or turn it off manually. If that's not the case, something is wrong. (I think)
Unless maybe it wasn't activated as a parking brake function? EG: Auto Vehicle Hold activated it, or Parking Brake Check function activated it?

Pretty sure AVH disables (inactivates) if the car is shifted into park though... may try some scenarios tonight, if work permits.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hadn't thought to check the eyesight manual. Indeed, the car will also engage the parking brake automatically after coming to a stop due to pre-collision braking (much as for the reverse automatic braking) and if you let adaptive cruise control bring you to a stop. As for the latter, there is interplay between the stay-stopped function and the automatic engagement of the parking brake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless maybe it wasn't activated as a parking brake function? EG: Auto Vehicle Hold activated it, or Parking Brake Check function activated it?

Pretty sure AVH disables (inactivates) if the car is shifted into park though... may try some scenarios tonight, if work permits.
I’ve used AVH several times and it remains active until the AVH engage/disengage button is pushed. This is true after engine shutdown and re-start. Once turned on, it stays on until turned off.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
I’ve used AVH several times and it remains active until the AVH engage/disengage button is pushed. This is true after engine shutdown and re-start. Once turned on, it stays on until turned off.
I think you misread the old conversation. There's a difference between the system being on and in stand-by ("disengaged") and it being turned off. You are correct that the system state (stand-by/on vs off) remains the same between starts, but that wasn't the point. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.