Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Ascent preorder was due in yesterday. Around noon, the dealer called saying that the delivery truck called to give them a heads up for a 6pm delivery. They had every reason to believe it was Ascents on the truck. After negotiating (-$500 from MSRP btw not including GA taxes), we completed the paperwork, including payment - 1/2 cash + 1/2 finance. Well the truck wasn't there when they closed. I just drove over there (they showed us where deliveries are parked) and there's a row of new Outbacks - no Ascents.

So now we own a car that never came?!?! I'm very unnerved and embarrassed that I completed the "deal" but don't have a car. Next truck is supposedly 7/9. I just canceled the insurance. But we sold our car last Thursday in preparation, so we're a 2-job, 2-children, 1-car family. Yikes. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this (own it but don't have it)?

(Like I said, I'm very embarrassed, so be gentle on me)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Our Ascent preorder was due in yesterday. Around noon, the dealer called saying that the delivery truck called to give them a heads up for a 6pm delivery. They had every reason to believe it was Ascents on the truck. After negotiating (-$500 from MSRP btw not including GA taxes), we completed the paperwork, including payment - 1/2 cash + 1/2 finance. Well the truck wasn't there when they closed. I just drove over there (they showed us where deliveries are parked) and there's a row of new Outbacks - no Ascents.

So now we own a car that never came?!?! I'm very unnerved and embarrassed that I completed the "deal" but don't have a car. Next truck is supposedly 7/9. I just canceled the insurance. But we sold our car last Thursday in preparation, so we're a 2-job, 2-children, 1-car family. Yikes. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this (own it but don't have it)?

Any chance they can give you a loaner until the car comes in? As you mentioned you did the paperwork, and I assume they took your cash payment. If they took that they should provide you a ride in the short term

·
Registered
583 Posts

It is still baffling that in this Internet/ Information Age they do not know where your car is at all times....
Mine is still in Indiana as far as I know....or it could be on the dealers lot....:eek:
I may just start searching dealer inventory in my area so I can get a car, so much for preordering....
I can Probably dealer add what few accessories I want as long as the color/ interior is right.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Wow, that is a strange situation. I'd expect the dealership to be comping you in one way or another. A loaner car, free oil changes, additional accessories....they need to step up and make it right somehow.

·
Registered
171 Posts

This sounds like an issue the dealer should be handling for you with a loaner of some sort. I can't believe that they didn't put you in some type of car to go home until yours hits the lot considering the circumstances.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is so bizarre. I understand your embarrassment, but shame on them for letting you sign on the final line with out a car. AND to send you home without a ride at all. They should absolutely give you a loaner. Its like the salesman needed the commission for the holiday weekend or something.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is strange. My car should be on the truck arriving Sun

Since I sold my car (and now bike to work), I asked if I can take delivery pretty much off the truck on Sun (so I don’t have to bike to work on Mon)

Dealer said no, since they have to follow Subaru inspection/ pre service, so I can only pick up late Mon (as they will put it first for the service).

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Alas, they are being serious and literal. They must put it through service and inspection before you get it or the car won't drive properly. I don't know what they call it, but the car isn't in "consumer mode" when it arrives. Carl explained it elsewhere.

This is strange. My car should be on the truck arriving Sun

Since I sold my car (and now bike to work), I asked if I can take delivery pretty much off the truck on Sun (so I don’t have to bike to work on Mon)

Dealer said no, since they have to follow Subaru inspection/ pre service, so I can only pick up late Mon (as they will put it first for the service).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would be concerned about signing paperwork and paying before taking delivery of the new vehicle. When you do take delivery, who knows what could be wrong with the vehicle. NEVER sign paperwork and do financing without inspecting the vehicle FIRST.

As far as the OP is concerned, you won't get a loan without a car or a VIN. Basically, you just put down a giant deposit to hold the vehicle. It should all work out, but I would definitely inspect the vehicle closely when it does arrive BEFORE you take delivery.

The dealer is totally in the wrong on this one. He should just shred the paperwork and the deposit check and start over when your vehicle actually arrives at the dealership.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The dealer is totally in the wrong on this one. He should just shred the paperwork and the deposit check and start over when your vehicle actually arrives at the dealership.

Here, here. Shred it and start over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well I'm sort of a dummy. I called the dealer today because we're still waiting. Their finance manager explained very well that we don't own the car - they didn't cash the check or draft the auto loan. GA law - can't do that until we drive off the lot. I'm relieved. Now I realize they're doing us a big favor by lending us a car ����SOA now says 7/13. Tick tock.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well I'm sort of a dummy. I called the dealer today because we're still waiting. Their finance manager explained very well that we don't own the car - they didn't cash the check or draft the auto loan. GA law - can't do that until we drive off the lot. I'm relieved. Now I realize they're doing us a big favor by lending us a car ����SOA now says 7/13. Tick tock.
NOT a dummy. This is uncharted territory and I’d worry if you WERE an expert!? Great news that they did the right thing on both counts- not cashing check AND giving you the loaner. You are not alone with the tick tock, sister. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts