Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m torn about getting the panoramic roof (would be super cool for heading to the mountains). We’re in Phoenix where it gets 120 degrees in the summer and I’m concerned about having a giant glass heating element for a roof. Anyone have thoughts on how the Ascent cools down (with or without the moonroof) in hot weather? I was considering the Touring for the ventilated seats, but the overall feel in the one I saw was just felt “hot” with the extra sunlight and the orangy brown/beige/black/reddish fake wood colorway.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Get some high end ceramic tints on the pano roof glass and you will barely feel the sun’s heat coming through! That’s the first thing I’m planning to do when I pick up my limited 7 seater with option 23 upgrade. Going to tint all the windows with ceramic tints. ?

·
Registered
965 Posts
...close the sunshade on the roof?
That doesn't work out here. Oh, it keeps the direct sunlight from coming into the car, but it will still heat up that area between the sunshade and the glass itself.

We use a local shop that can put an S90 ceramic tint on the sunroof. There's almost no transmitted heat, even on super bright days.

I had a customer who is a physician who bought a Crystal Black / Ivory Outback from me earlier this summer. Just for grins (mostly because we were doing some other modifications to it), we put a meat thermometer inside the car with just factory privacy glass and no front sunshade. Outside air temperature was 100, sunshade was closed. Inside air temperature hit 130 at 4:00 pm.

Got the windows tinted with S90, then used a Subaru sunshade as well. Car sat overnight, then we put the meat thermometer back into the car the next morning. Temperature outside that day hit 105. Inside the car, it was 90.

My new car manager lived in the Phoenix area for 10 years. He said that the ceramic tint is a lifesaver out there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That doesn't work out here. Oh, it keeps the direct sunlight from coming into the car, but it will still heat up that area between the sunshade and the glass itself.

We use a local shop that can put an S90 ceramic tint on the sunroof. There's almost no transmitted heat, even on super bright days.

I had a customer who is a physician who bought a Crystal Black / Ivory Outback from me earlier this summer. Just for grins (mostly because we were doing some other modifications to it), we put a meat thermometer inside the car with just factory privacy glass and no front sunshade. Outside air temperature was 100, sunshade was closed. Inside air temperature hit 130 at 4:00 pm.

Got the windows tinted with S90, then used a Subaru sunshade as well. Car sat overnight, then we put the meat thermometer back into the car the next morning. Temperature outside that day hit 105. Inside the car, it was 90.

My new car manager lived in the Phoenix area for 10 years. He said that the ceramic tint is a lifesaver out there.

I remember a long thread about whether it is safe to put film on the sunroof as this could make the glass more likely to crack, but you are saying it's OK? I'm think I'll bypass the whole thing and get an Ascent with a steel roof.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah, its a bit of a mixed bag; we can't seem to come to a concrete solution. In Utah we get hot (but not AZ Hot) so I was going back and fourth with the idea of a UV blocker or something for the Pano, but in the end, I'll just settle for what it comes with, and use the App to start the car and cool everything down.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am under the impression that laminated panel moonroofs are OK to tint, tempered is not, and that a lot of the cracking/shattering was caused chassis/body flex, regardless of tint.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mid-90s and sun around Boulder, CO yesterday and could definitely feel the heat on my head with the screen closed - but to be fair, I couldn't tell if it was coming through the pano or through the windshield and just collecting at the top). The Ascent glass/tint is far more heat rejecting than on my VW Tiguan. The Ascent factory tint is typically fine (even with the screen open). I still may consider a ceramic tint to the pano (like I did to the other four windows), but the heat has been pretty reasonable for the past 6 weeks that I've had the vehicle. I do like the idea of letting some heat in throughout the winter, so I'll probably wait until Spring to decide.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
965 Posts
I remember a long thread about whether it is safe to put film on the sunroof as this could make the glass more likely to crack, but you are saying it's OK? I'm think I'll bypass the whole thing and get an Ascent with a steel roof.
We put ceramic tint on sunroofs all the time. Not an issue.

What causes sunroofs to crack is stress from body torsion (which our ring shaped reinforcement frame is designed to counteract, but you'll still have people manage to bend things at times) and hail / impacts.

·
Registered
78 Posts

What does the spec "S90" refer to, and do you know the make/model line of tint your shop uses? Thx.:smile:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Llumar CTX is another great option for ceramic tint. Lifetime warranty on the product and installation. Llumar Airblue 80 is great for windshields too; helps cut down on glare and reduces temps some. Although I'm not sure if it's compatible with eyesight. I'd have them apply the film around it (like 3rd brakelights)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I live in South Florida, and have the huge moonroof on my Forester, and will on my Ascent. Sure, you might get a bit more heat from the sun, but it has its positives too. Heat rises, right? When I jump in my car, I always open the moonroof for a minute or two, and all that heat rises right out. It'll be better in the Ascent, since that roof pops, where my Forester glass only slides.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone put film on the front windshield? I'm curious as to how it would affect the EyeSight. I've been mulling this over since my tint appointment is coming up soon.

Any suggestions or technical advise will greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What does the spec "S90" refer to, and do you know the make/model line of tint your shop uses? Thx.:smile:
My Ascent has not arrived, however, when it does I am going to have the 3M film installed on the sun roof. We live in Las Vegas, NV. We have 3M film on several windows in our home... very happy.
Check this vid out...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Has anyone put film on the front windshield? I'm curious as to how it would affect the EyeSight. I've been mulling this over since my tint appointment is coming up soon.

Any suggestions or technical advise will greatly be appreciated.

Not to thread jack but I've been curious about this as well. Been getting mix opinions on the matter from other forums. If getting a very light tint on the front windshield would not hinder Eyesight, I would love to add a layer to block out some more heat from the car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The shade seemed seriously lacking. In other cars, the cover has been more than a roller shade, so provided much more insulation. I couldn't really see carrying around a sheet of reflectix to lay up there when not in use.

Also, every other one I've seen could be manually operated to some extent. For instance, when popping my Acura's moonroof to vent, I can set the cover to be open a similar amount to give the hot air a path out without giving the sunlight a way in. That didn't seem possible with the Ascent's pano, so I skipped it.

Of course, I'm so heat-averse that mine will be white, because I could only lay my hand on the tungsten paint in full sun for a few seconds.

And definitely planning on ceramic heat-rejection film for the windshield!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.