Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Any owners regret getting the pano moonroof? Do you feel like it is as safe with moonroof vs without? I live in The desert and am worried about heat.
Closed and cover closed, it's pretty cool, and lets in no UV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I really like the feel of openness it gives the vehicle. We have the opposite problem of heat being in northern Ontario. I've been keeping the cover closed in the winter to keep heat in and to keep it from frosting up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also debating this decision. Noticing most of the limited's available at dealers (north Jersey) include the tech package. Love the look of the moonroof but concerned with maintenance issues. Any stat's on how common the leaking/cracking problems are?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Passed on the moon roof of my new Ascent, but all past Foresters I've owned had it. Best thing about it was that I could travel with my dog and not worry about him left in the car. I'd open the moon roof full, crack all the windows 2" or so and he had plenty of air as well as inside heat no more than ambient air temperature. I had a Yakima Rocket Box on the roof that blocked direct sun while letting in max air flow.
Not sure what I'll do now that the Ascent doesn't have the moon roof. I sure wish the rear tail gate's window hinged open separate from the whole assembly though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's also a part of my concern, I plan to put stuff up there at different times. Ski's, bikes, etc. The rhino rack looks like it only blocks the back half and could be good for shade and protection although I wouldn't keep it up there permanently.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I sure wish the rear tail gate's window hinged open separate from the whole assembly though.
This is a feature that's pretty much died in recent years, for both cost savings and I suspect safety ratings. ( body shapes can sometimes influence exhaust gas infiltration and the rear is less stiff if the glass can move) My MY12 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit had the "flipper glass" (which I actually didn't know about for the first two years I owned it...go figure...) but it was taken away with the MY14 refresh...and there were a lot of complaints. MY20 still doesn't have it and I doubt it will return to that vehicle. I'm not surprised that the Ascent doesn't have it...

I don't use the moon roof very much at all, honestly. But it's nice to have for "those times" when you might want to.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
Living in Florida, I am anti sunroof/moonroof. I really want the front camera to help my wife from running into the tool bench in the garage and parking by feel elsewhere. Unfortunately, the only trim that offers the front camera also has the pano roof. It also has the brown interior which is also a negative in IMHO.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Def did not want the moon roof's weight, complexity or cost. Every vehicle I've had since '83 had one but I virtually never used them.

Yeah. My '97 Mountaineer (Ford Explorer) had a hinged rear gate window. It allowed fast easy access for putting groceries in and out, and it allowed access to the rear with the bike rack loaded...no need to tip the rack down. Definitely handy.

·
Read Only
45 Posts
I have the panoramic on my limited I have kept it close for the week and a half since I've owned. In fact, most of the cars I've owned in the past 20 years have had a sunroof of some kind but I almost never used it. Just stayed covered up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts