Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I apologize in advance if I'm duplicating an existing thread, I did go back and try to research this before posting but didn't see anything that was the same as what we're experiencing. We just received our blue Touring last week and took it on a ~300mi road trip this weekend. We ended up taking almost the whole trip with the moonroof shade closed due to annoying wind noise (a buffeting sound) from the leading edge of the moonroof. Note that the rack crossbars were removed during this trip, and nothing was on the roof. It was windy and cold, but the sound was present regardless of our direction of travel with respect to direction of the wind.

The closest thing I saw in the forums was related to a pinched or damaged seal that a contributor was concerned about water leakage. I have not opened the roof to inspect, but I can do so.

Has anyone else had this experience? If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
In my experience, it is noisier with the shade open, barely, simply because the shade is open, so there's slightly more noise. But, I wouldn't call it noisy.

I've seen this four times (when not related to crossbars - that I've seen soooo many times I've made a video - but yours weren't on). Once was the seal. Thrice were things being stuck in or near the moonroof, or in the edge of the hood area, or in or near a wiper (leaf or leaf part two of the times).

If you've ruled out a bit of debris stuck causing it, and opened and closed the moonroof and still experienced the issues, then, I'd bring it to a dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A minor update here, and I'm curious what others think of this dealer experience. We brought the car to the dealer we purchased from to repair whatever issue is causing wind noise. They had the car for two days to make the repair. All they ended up doing was applying some foam tape on top of the actual roof seal, which they did not replace. The wind noise might be slightly reduced but still quite present. And the foam tape seems like an extremely shoddy repair which won't stand the test of time, sun, snow and car-washes.

What would others do here? Would you return to the same dealer and ask for a better repair? Go to a different dealer? Is this something where they try to take the easy way out and hope for the best before they'd do the right thing and properly tackle the issue?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Can you please post pics?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I attached two photos of the front drivers side and passenger side corners. You can see that they applied foam tape between the seal and moving pane, between the seal and the roof, and also some putty looking product between the seal and roof. The more I look, the more disappointed I am that this was the service department's decision to correct a problem.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Please write an email...

I attached two photos of the front drivers side and passenger side corners. You can see that they applied foam tape between the seal and moving pane, between the seal and the roof, and also some putty looking product between the seal and roof. The more I look, the more disappointed I am that this was the service department's decision to correct a problem.
Please sent these images, your full details (including full name of the vehicle registrant and full VIN number), and full dealership information to CustDlrServices at subaru com and ask them for their advice on how to proceed.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Thank you for this info. I have followed this recommendation and I'll post an update when I have one.
Please let me know how things work out for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts

New dealer, and, as Robert indicated, send pics to SOA. I am fine when a dealer is honest in saying they can't find the issue to fix it, but to give a vehicle back, with workmanship like this, as being repaired is not acceptable.

Reactions: Kgingerich

·
Registered
680 Posts

did they call it Fix or Test ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I also discovered that the original purchase/service dealer forgot to re-install 14 plastic fasteners which hold the rear bumper cover to the body of the car after installing our hitch! We took a 2000mi road trip with the bumper in this condition.

I've spoken with SOA about this. They did first suggest that we return to the original servicing dealer to correct their workmanship, citing that another dealer make take issue with fixing dealer workmanship problems. They did note that they'll support us if this would happen.

At the same time, I got a call from the "Service Director" responsible for this questionable workmanship. He wants to "make it right" offering to personally come pick up our car and bring us a loaner, oversee the work, and potentially offer some form of compensation for our issues. Obviously they're under a lot of pressure form SOA to get good reviews and satisfaction.

So with this in mind, what would you do? I don't have an appointment with any dealer at the moment, but of course I did install several of the missing plastic fasteners to prevent damage to the bumper!

Matt

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Update: I also discovered that the original purchase/service dealer forgot to re-install 14 plastic fasteners which hold the rear bumper cover to the body of the car after installing our hitch! We took a 2000mi road trip with the bumper in this condition.

I've spoken with SOA about this. They did first suggest that we return to the original servicing dealer to correct their workmanship, citing that another dealer make take issue with fixing dealer workmanship problems. They did note that they'll support us if this would happen.

At the same time, I got a call from the "Service Director" responsible for this questionable workmanship. He wants to "make it right" offering to personally come pick up our car and bring us a loaner, oversee the work, and potentially offer some form of compensation for our issues. Obviously they're under a lot of pressure form SOA to get good reviews and satisfaction.

So with this in mind, what would you do? I don't have an appointment with any dealer at the moment, but of course I did install several of the missing plastic fasteners to prevent damage to the bumper!

Matt
Was it the same technician? If so, I may give that dealer a second chance. You may also find that the tech isn't there any more.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Definitely give them a chance to fix it. If you go into it with a good attitude, you never know, it might help you with some future issues as well. I've had things happen like this with other cars, where the dealership made a pretty decent sized mistake, and if your service tech is there long enough, (s)he'll remember that you weren't being too difficult about it, and they might help you out with a borderline warranty issue at some point in the future. This worked with me for a set of $1,200 tires, and for replacement of a $1,500 body panel that developed paint issues just after the factory warranty expired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, finally some resolution to post. We gave the original dealer a chance to right their wrongs. They did the following for us:

* Came to our house to pick up our car and provide a loaner.
* Replaced the moonroof seal, which should have been done initially.
* Installed all missing plastic fasteners on our bumper cover (which were left off after hitch install by them).
* Checked all software for updates
* More than a basic cleaning, nearly detail-level of cleaning.
* Filled our nearly empty tank with gas.
* Returned the car directly to our house.

I actually haven't driven it since (it's my wife's car) but she says the wind noise is resolved. SOA also checked in a couple times to confirm that things were going well.

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
A minor update here, and I'm curious what others think of this dealer experience. We brought the car to the dealer we purchased from to repair whatever issue is causing wind noise. They had the car for two days to make the repair. All they ended up doing was applying some foam tape on top of the actual roof seal, which they did not replace. The wind noise might be slightly reduced but still quite present. And the foam tape seems like an extremely shoddy repair which won't stand the test of time, sun, snow and car-washes.

What would others do here? Would you return to the same dealer and ask for a better repair? Go to a different dealer? Is this something where they try to take the easy way out and hope for the best before they'd do the right thing and properly tackle the issue?

Thanks,

Matt
I have the same issue with my new ascent, I took it to the dealer and they said it was likely related to the cross bars. Took the cross bars off and it still felt like wind was coming through the roof. Tried another ascent touring, and the same thing happened. Very disappointed so far in this car.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I have the same issue with my new ascent, I took it to the dealer and they said it was likely related to the cross bars. Took the cross bars off and it still felt like wind was coming through the roof. Tried another ascent touring, and the same thing happened. Very disappointed so far in this car.
Take it to another dealership and ask them to fix it. I'm at 26,468 miles, with my Touring with moon roof, and it's totally quiet and not leaking anything.

Also, the roof bars are near silent if installed properly, BIG edge forward into the wind, thin edge to the back. I have those too.

Automotive exterior Auto part Car Mid-size car Vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same problem. I took it to the dealer for its first oil change and asked them to look into it. They said other ascents with roof were definitely quieter and owned up to not knowing how to fix. They ended up replacing the weather stripping as a previous poster did too but the problem seemed to get worse. Any other ideas?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts