Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
yeah, it's sad. Quality isn't there. I keep seeing things on the floor and figure out where it came from. Like seatbelt holder clip and those plastic push in pins. $50K vehicle
This is the bad part of having the first run of a vehicle. Issues like this can pop up. Granted I have had multiple first run vehicles and most have had few issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@Nemesis099: Exactly, I had many new vehicles in the past and I didn't have these types of issues. As long as the issues are minor, I am ok with it. I'm hoping on the critical items, quality is there. This Subaru was the most expensive I had own so was expecting a little more quality. If I can do it again, I would definitely wait for 2nd year model.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@Nemesis099: Exactly, I had many new vehicles in the past and I didn't have these types of issues. As long as the issues are minor, I am ok with it. I'm hoping on the critical items, quality is there. This Subaru was the most expensive I had own so was expecting a little more quality. If I can do it again, I would definitely wait for 2nd year model.
It’s really disappointing to hear this. I purchased two first-run vehicles in the past that we’re not as expensive as the Ascent & had minimal issues other than the occasional recall. I’m sure they’re logging these issues & addressing them, but scary to think when my Ascent arrives it might end up spending more time in the dealer’s garage than my own. Fingers crossed these are outliers & not the norm.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Noticed this panel coming off yesterday. Driver side next to the windshield. I was able to pop it back in. Hopefully it won't happen again.
Weird, you would think to have it come off that much you would have to pull on it.

Also, I don't understand people's complaint of..."This shouldn't happen, it's a $50K vehicle. The quality isn't there." Go to any Audi/BMW/Mercedes forum and there a threads upon threads of quality issues for vehicles way more expensive than the Ascent. Buying an expensive vehicle doesn't make you immune to issues, sorry.

·
Registered
232 Posts
@Karpediem - I'm not complaining, I am pointing out facts based on my own prior owner experiences with new vehicles at lower price range. True, I don't know about the other brands but just from what I have personally experienced.
I guess that's what I am getting at, it's a dice roll with basically any vehicle no matter what you pay. It's how they handle those issues when they come up that concerns me and it seems like Subaru is doing a fine job so far.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
These new cars are held together almost completely by plastic clips. Bolts are a thing of the past except on the drivetrain components. I am exaggerating, but you can have both the front and rear bumper off of your new $40,000 Ascent in 15 minutes tops. Remove a couple of bolts/screws and 20+ plastic clips and your car is practically naked.

Don't worry about the quality of the vehicle because something comes loose. Just pop it back on/in. This Ascent will be running long after the MB/AUDI/VW have seen the end of their "useful" lifespan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
well this is a bit concerning. This will be my first non-BMW/Mercedes vehicle and these are the kinds of things I was concerned about. With BMW I've gotten used to amazing build quality and attention to small details and never had issues like these. I am worried now that these little things if they happen in my Ascent will drive me nuts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also, I don't understand people's complaint of..."This shouldn't happen, it's a $50K vehicle. The quality isn't there." Go to any Audi/BMW/Mercedes forum and there a threads upon threads of quality issues for vehicles way more expensive than the Ascent. Buying an expensive vehicle doesn't make you immune to issues, sorry.
^^^This. I don't entirely understand the comments regarding cost and expectations compared to previous vehicles. It seems that vehicles are increasing 3-5% per year on average. Add all of the technology and safety that has been introduced in the past 10 years and if you look back, you will see cost increases over the past 5-10 years that exceed what the auto industry has had in the past. All of these features, whether they are government mandated (such as rear view cameras) or simply "creature features" and they all add up to more expense which translates to more cost to the consumer. Also, the more features that are put into a car, the more likely you are to have issues.

Look back to all the EGR Valve issues of the mid 90s vehicles, regardless of manufacturer. The '69 VW in my profile picture is probably more dependable on a day to day basis than a modern car...well, not truly, but you hopefully understand what I mean. I most likely get the '69 VW back on the road faster than I could a modern car if issues present themselves.

TO the OP, I would honestly consider bringing those photos and your car into the dealership. I am not sure how that part is supposed to release in the event of the pillar airbag (another safety feature that adds to the cost of the vehicle) deploying, but I would want to make sure it is installed correctly so that there is not injury caused by a faulty part in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I slid the second row forward this past weekend, the panel that covers the front part of the track, below the seat on the driver side, came completely off.

Heck, that happened in my '15 Outback too. I just snapped it back on and never thought once that it was unusual. I had to figure out how to snap the back one in when I turned in my '15 as a trade-in.

At least for me, these are tiny glitches. In fact, I had a set of rubber plugs in my car that were never installed. Still in their plastic wrap. Since I wasn't sure exactly where they went, I just stopped by the dealership so they could install them. I also found an electric outlet tester in a rear cupholder. At least I know someone was trying to test out my 110v outlet! For me, these are the consequences of choosing to have the first run of a brand new vehicle and I was ok with that because Subaru has always taken every issue I had with my '15 Outback seriously and fixed it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Those people at the Subaru factory were in a rush to get those Ascents built because of all the angst on this forum about waiting so long. I can only imagine what "mistakes" were made at the Tesla factory pushing out those Model 3's. Building cars in a tent - that is crazy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't get me wrong - for some reason, I still love Subaru compared to others; they are very functional and practical.
Kind of like marriage I guess, there are those little annoyances but as long as the critical core factor is there, things will be ok. Perhaps Subaru does voodoo :)

I had an Infiniti QX80, Subaru Outback (did loved), Ford Explorer Sport, Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner (2), and Lexus RX300 but the passion wasn't there.

·
Registered
646 Posts
yeah, it's sad. Quality isn't there. I keep seeing things on the floor and figure out where it came from. Like seatbelt holder clip and those plastic push in pins. $50K vehicle
I love my Subarus but I would never pay 50k for one. My Ascent was 34k which I think is a good value. Also, I will agree that at any price trim parts falling off a new car is not acceptable IMO.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love my Subarus but I would never pay 50k for one. My Ascent was 34k which I think is a good value. Also, I will agree that at any price trim parts falling off a new car is not acceptable IMO.
That was my point. With previous vehicles, parts weren't falling off so easily but again, as long as the critical stuff wasn't neglected. yeah, after taxes and a couple of accessories, it reached 50K easily. Oh well, besides if I don't spend it, the wife will on $1,000 shoes lol :) and yes, that is just one pair!

·
Registered
646 Posts
That was my point. With previous vehicles, parts weren't falling off so easily but again, as long as the critical stuff wasn't neglected. yeah, after taxes and a couple of accessories, it reached 50K easily. Oh well, besides if I don't spend it, the wife will on $1,000 shoes lol :) and yes, that is just one pair!
Got it! After Subaru hired a new QA chief(a couple years ago) I thought it would of changed things and maybe it has but I still think the products coming out of SIA are not consistent in quality of build. I will agree that in the big picture your getting a very safe and well engineered product for the money

1 - 20 of 78 Posts