Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We plug the phone in, pull up Waze, and sometimes Pandora will get pulled up non-stop. We close pandora, but something opens it again, over and over, restarting playing whatever was last played on Pandora.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions to fix?

Thanks!

Tom

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
We plug the phone in, pull up Waze, and sometimes Pandora will get pulled up non-stop. We close pandora, but something opens it again, over and over, restarting playing whatever was last played on Pandora.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions to fix?

Thanks!

Tom
Yes. I am trying to figure out causes with someone else online in the FB group.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
Did you fully close the Pandora app on the phone when it's not connected to the vehicle? The only time I've had a music app start up like you describe is when it was the last used music app on the phone and wasn't fully closed "on the phone"...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Pandora is semi-notorious for this. I've experienced it auto-launching in different cars and different head units (Subaru OEM and Pioneer Aftermarket). Unfortunately, this goes years back but I never found the solution. But I've since deleted Pandora (was using the free service) and have moved onto a subcription service. When an app acts like a virus with no time to troubleshoot, it's time to cut it loose.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Greetings,
Yes, I've noticed this happening ever since the latest IOS update. Prior to that, Pandora would sometime "self launch,' but just the once. Lately, it sometime goes full zombie and won't stay down when closed.

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
Yes, it was 'swiped up' to close it, but it kept opening up pandora and playing it.
Which version of the iPhone...."home button" model or "face authentication" model? App closing is slightly different on them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
conspiracy theory alert :p

It's a great application for offices and such, but in a car it's more like a irritating pop-up ad.

Pandora is one of the pioneers, but they are probably getting eaten alive by Apple, Spotify, etc. I think they're just trying to artificially get back some market share to please their stakeholders. I think this is a "feature" that Pandora tries to implement to pad their statistics. They have deals with many companies to include a built-in Pandora app in both OEM and aftermarket units. The app likes to auto-lunch. Connect the dots.

Even if it can be used free of charge, it's not cool if it decides to launch for you. You might be able to somehow get it to stop, but it will find a way to come back (updates?). See my post above. This issue goes back years and doesn't look like to be a specific OEM/iOS/Android issue. The common denominator is Pandora. There are other streaming services out there that let you decide when it gets used.

...or maybe there is some setting within the app that allows you to turn off the auto-play. I like my kooky theory though.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Were you actively playing music at the time? There could be some process by which it recalls an app thats closed when it was playing in order to keep playing. It also could have to do with Pandora trying to take back their market share as previously stated. My solution: don't use Pandora. There are other services that dont try to throw themselves at you like that and arguably work better.
I'm also wondering if Pandora may install something like a Siri shortcut that causes it to open when using CarPlay. This is about the only way I can think of for an app to behave that way in iOS.

·
Registered
270 Posts
What the OP describes and what I've also experienced is almost certainly not a ploy by Pandora. If this persists, the only solution might be to remove Pandora altogether. How does that work for their business model?
This is a glitch of some sort, not a feature. (Unless, it's a ploy by Apple to get people to ditch Pandora....)

It's not just Pandora starting when CarPlay is activated. Pandora starts, you actively close it on the phone, and then it starts again, and again, and again.... This did not happen until recently with the latest IOS update, and I have not had this happen through bluetooth with the built in version.

To answer one question, I have the iphone 8 with the home button.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
This did not happen until recently with the latest IOS update, and I have not had this happen through bluetooth with the built in version.
Have you checked the Siri shortcuts for anything having to do with Pandora or CarPlay? I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities...
Interesting that its only since iOS 13. There was a major CarPlay overhaul in iOS 13 so maybe Pandora hasnt updated their app properly. Apps on the phone screen should now basically be independent of the CarPlay screen. I don't use Pandora but I'll download it and see if I can replicate it or narrow down a cause when I'm back to my Ascent this afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
To be fair, I'll dial back this claim if others have different impressions. In truth, I don't use Carplay very often, so I might be suffering from a selection bias of some sort.
Have you tried Apple Music? It works well for me. Thats it for my plug...
I don't have built in nav so I keep Waze open almost all the time using CarPlay. IMHO its near the top of my features list!

I just downloaded Pandora but have to wait to try it in my car. One of the first things I noticed was the ads. I wonder if the CarPlay side is being activated because of autoplaying ads or something, even if its actually doing music. I didn't see any weird settings that stood out or automatic Siri shortcuts but it is still possible to activate it using Siri, though it shouldn't be done by accident. I'll keep digging.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Have you tried Apple Music? It works well for me. Thats it for my plug...
I don't have built in nav so I keep Waze open almost all the time using CarPlay. IMHO its near the top of my features list!

I just downloaded Pandora but have to wait to try it in my car. One of the first things I noticed was the ads. I wonder if the CarPlay side is being activated because of autoplaying ads or something, even if its actually doing music. I didn't see any weird settings that stood out or automatic Siri shortcuts but it is still possible to activate it using Siri, though it shouldn't be done by accident. I'll keep digging.
Ads might be a factor. I used to use the free version of TuneIn to listen to one specific show. It would constantly fail to launch in CarPlay due to ads that popped up on the phone. I think if you waited long enough it would eventually start playing, but it would take minutes. I upgraded to the ad-free paid version and now TuneIn works like most any other audio app. Too bad the show I used to listen to has since abandoned TuneIn because they cannot use that platform to monetize their show.

I also switched from Amazon Music Unlimited to Apple Music because the Amazon app would sometimes fail to launch, but the Apple Music app sometimes auto-launched. Apple music works beautifully, as it should. Since the price was the same between the two services, I went with AM for the user experience.

I may download Pandora and observe its behaviour to see if I can contribute something more relevant. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I’ll keep testing it whenever I can however I plugged my phone into CarPlay for a few short trips today and Pandora never launched automatically. It also closed when using the phone’s app switcher. The ‘now playing’ CarPlay app controls pandora as expected when it was the most recently used music app. There must be something else going on still unidentified for those experiencing the weird behavior

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
SoA suggested turning off USB autoplay. Someone else I'm talking with who got that suggestion is trying it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pandora persistently opening started happening to me the day I upgraded ascent system software UE_19.22.70. It NEVER did it before with any iOS updates. It’s incredibly annoying.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Iphone 6 with home button.

It doesn't do it every time. But once it starts, it's hard to get it to stop and its not clear what actually makes it stop doing it (like, the next day it doesn't but turning on and off the car or phone doesn't stop it).

It's been stable for a week now.

We have a paid Pandora subscription so no ads. We have tuned our stations, and so hope to keep Pandora as we really like how it plays music of a 'genome' without having to make decisions for it. Something no other music service we've tried does well.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
Try starting another music app and then closing it after you fully close Pandora. iOS "remembers" the last music app used and sometimes that app will auto start when one starts CarPlay.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 40 Posts