Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only Tech problem that I am running into is trying to play pandora through the native app. I do not have an issue playing pandora through Android Auto. Whenever I press the icon for the Pandora app, I get the attached message. It used to be random, but now it is consistent and I can no longer use the app. I have tried uninstalling the app on my phone and reinstalling, as well as deleting my phone from my Ascent and repairing. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
yep, happens to me all the time (with iPhone). Pandora does not work much more often than it does.

I only use head unit for Apple Play and of map view.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the same issue with the non Apple Car play version of the app.

Hopefully they will fix it in the next software update.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, 95% I plug my phone in and use the AA app...but there is that 5% time, when I know I will be in and out of the car, or whatever, and it would be nice to be able to use the app. I should also mention that I have the latest software and firmware updates.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just picked up my Ascent tonight and am having the same issue. 2020 Limited, paired to my Samsung Galaxy S8. Worked great in my Crosstrek's native Pandora app.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have the Starlink app installed on your phone? Is Pandora open on your phone before you select it from the Ascent Apps Screen?

Sometimes, the Ascent just refuses to connect to Pandora on the phone, so I have to reboot the Infotainment Center by depressing the power button until the Subaru splash screen is displayed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have the Starlink app installed on your phone? Is Pandora open on your phone before you select it from the Ascent Apps Screen?

Sometimes, the Ascent just refuses to connect to Pandora on the phone, so I have to reboot the Infotainment Center by depressing the power button until the Subaru splash screen is displayed.
Yeah, I had installed the Starlink App to use with my Crosstrek. Wondering if I should try to start over - unpair my phone, reinstall Starlink, and re-pair. Of course, the OP didn't seem to have luck starting from scratch.

As the OP stated, I can get Pandora through Android Auto, but would rather use the 'built-in' Pandora app. Wonder if its an issue with Android Auto taking over control and pushing out the ability to connect to Pandora directly. I'm still not sure if I actually plan on using Android Auto.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
@absolutsnwbrdr do you have navigation? If not I’m curious why you prefer the built in apps? I’m not saying you’re wrong or anything I just like to be able to see different points of view.

·
Registered
108 Posts
@absolutsnwbrdr do you have navigation? If not I’m curious why you prefer the built in apps? I’m not saying you’re wrong or anything I just like to be able to see different points of view.
Yeah, its an 8-passenger with Nav package. It's probably because I'm just not familiar with Android Auto. I didn't get home with the car until about 8pm last night and was just messing around with it in the driveway. I'm used to the Crosstrek, where I could just get in, start the car, hit the Pandora app on the nav screen, and go. The built in Pandora was right there on the screen (with album cover, artist, etc) and I could toggle back and forth between the navigation or pandora or radio or SXM very quickly. No having to get the phone out of my pocket and plug it in. Seems like (remember my inexperience) having to go through Android Auto just to open Pandora is just an additional and unnecessary step.

By the way, I pay for a monthly Pandora subscription because we do a lot of camping off-grid (and no cell reception) so I can download a bunch of channels and take the music with us. SXM is great, but your music is tied to the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Yeah, its an 8-passenger with Nav package. It's probably because I'm just not familiar with Android Auto. I didn't get home with the car until about 8pm last night and was just messing around with it in the driveway. I'm used to the Crosstrek, where I could just get in, start the car, hit the Pandora app on the nav screen, and go.I pay for a monthly Pandora subscription because we do a lot of camping off-grid (and no cell reception) so I can download a bunch
Sounds like it time to upgrade to an iPhone and use CarPlay! J/k.. but not really, or am I?!
Old habits are hard to break. I’m a big fan of CarPlay and I would probably use android auto if I had an android, but I’ve never had the combo of having both the correct cable and someone with the app installed to actually try android auto in my car. I like how the map apps are constantly updated unlike built in apps. It might be worth a try for you. The worst part might be having to plug it in but after that it’s great!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like it time to upgrade to an iPhone and use CarPlay! J/k.. but not really, or am I?!
???
I really can't stand Apple. And my wife can't stand Android. These are contentious grounds for divorce! ?

Old habits are hard to break. I’m a big fan of CarPlay and I would probably use android auto if I had an android, but I’ve never had the combo of having both the correct cable and someone with the app installed to actually try android auto in my car. I like how the map apps are constantly updated unlike built in apps. It might be worth a try for you. The worst part might be having to plug it in but after that it’s great!
I do like the idea of using Waze as an option. Typically in the Crosstrek I would use the built in navigation, but sometimes (busy weekend trips) I would use Waze. I know I just need to experiment with it all. Just wondering why the hell my Pandora won't 'just work'. Damn first-world problems! As long as this is the worst problem I have, I think I can survive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This happens to me once in a while. Upon seeing the message, I've found that opening the Pandora app on the iphone "fixes" it. (All while using bluetooth, not carplay.) I've never seen it happen if Pandora was already open on the phone before starting the car.

I use the built in app all the time. Why not if I don't need to charge? The phone doesn't have to leave my pocket.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This happens to me once in a while. Upon seeing the message, I've found that opening the Pandora app on the iphone "fixes" it. (All while using bluetooth, not carplay.) I've never seen it happen if Pandora was already open on the phone before starting the car.

I use the built in app all the time. Why not if I don't need to charge? The phone doesn't have to leave my pocket.
I'll have to fiddle around with it more after work. Maybe it was just in a 'glitchy' mood.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Left my office at lunch today to go for a drive (trying to break in 1000 miles before camping trip next weekend) and the Pandora magically works.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just came out from lunch, and not working again. Well this is a bit frustrating.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Just picked up my Ascent tonight and am having the same issue. 2020 Limited, paired to my Samsung Galaxy S8. Worked great in my Crosstrek's native Pandora app. View attachment 1535
Pandora is supposedly (though sometimes intermittently?) supported by Android Auto, meaning that you may wish to use that method instead, which also gains you all of the other advantages of Android Auto.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pandora is supposedly (though sometimes intermittently?) supported by Android Auto, meaning that you may wish to use that method instead, which also gains you all of the other advantages of Android Auto.
Yeah... I'll have to play more with it. I just ordered a 3' USB 3.0 cable which should be here tomorrow. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

...ready for android auto yet? ?
lol maybe... o_Oo_Oo_O

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow.... Pandora worked 4 times last night!! ?

My shorty cable arrives today so I'll have to give this magical Android Auto a shot.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 19 of 19 Posts