Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am considering doing a full front wrap on my new Ascent. A local shop gave me 3 options on the brand to use. Suntek, Stek Dynoshield, or Stek Dynomatt. I spoke some people and they said to go with Suntek. Does anyone have any preference or know which is better?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi, I am considering doing a full front wrap on my new Ascent. A local shop gave me 3 options on the brand to use. Suntek, Stek Dynoshield, or Stek Dynomatt. I spoke some people and they said to go with Suntek. Does anyone have any preference or know which is better?
I’ve personally done XPEL and 3M Pro. Both crystal clear and similar workability.

If you’re interested in DIY and patient, pre-cut kits are available on eBay

Not hard, just time consuming (watched a few YouTube vids) there is a bit of finesse that goes with it as well. Start with easy things to get a feel for it. Did my door sills with xpel and headlights with a precut 3M PPF Pro. Headlights were harder because there is a raised section.

It is much easier than vinyl wrapping! If you’re not 100 accurate it’s almost invisible.

I asked around some local shops and most use bulk film and trim on the car
I personally would rather not have a blade cut into my paint, but instead use a pre-cut kit sacrificing some edge protection. Film is 8 mil thick or 0.008 inch, don’t know how they cut at that level of accuracy across curved body panels without cutting into the paint.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/253837360209

I’ll be doing a full hood out of a 48x72” sheet. The hood should be very easy since you wrap the edges underneath. Then the bumper

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
XPEL is usually considered the best, but there are other very good PPF's. The major issue is the labor cost. Having a full front wrap done will probably cost around $2000. Much cheaper if you do it yourself with a precut kit which XPEL offers. It's not easy but the material is forgiving and allows a lot of retries until you get it right.

I wrapped the front of the hood basically for free. I simply requested some samples from the various manufacturers and received enough to do the front end. As soon as the weather warms up I'll be doing the front bumper. They also sell PPF in bulk on Amazon and other places, it's quite reasonable. You could try installing an easy section yourself for under $50. If you end up with a few bubbles, which is normal, they completely disappear within a month or so.

If you're willing to spend up to $2K you can have it done. But for that cost, you could also have the car repainted, so it's hard to justify. If you're going to pay labor, and if you want to get a reasonable price, just do the sections that are most vulnerable to road debris impacts such as the hood and front bumper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about goi g with suntec since they have 10 years warranty with the manufacturer. Has anyone use suntec on their cars?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clear Bra

Johndang,

You're on the right track for considering Paint Protection Film on your new Ascent. While there are a lot of brands on the market, you'll want to consider the important items.

1 - The film itself. Choose a film with a strong warranty (make sure it covers parts & labor). Check to make sure it covers yellowing, lifting, peeling, and anything else the film might do. Anything less than a 10 year warranty these days is unacceptable.

2 - the fit of the film. We HIGHLY suggest using a pre-cut pattern installed by a skilled professional. The pre-cut patterns give a map of basically where to start, where to squeegee next, and so on. Using a bulk piece to custom fit (with exception of the full hood) can result in a lot of blade time on your paint and that's too risky if you ask us.

3 - how much coverage are you going to get? We would go with the high impact areas of the vehicle or the areas that are most likely to get damaged. On an Ascent that would be the front end, door cups, door edges, rear luggage area, and potentially the rocker panels depending on the style of driving and road conditions. On the front end, if you don't want to see the seam running across your hood (this is visible in any brand of film) then you'll want to opt for the full body panel protection so there's no seam and the body panel will look and clean the same. Be sure to protect the headlights from becoming oxidized or yellow. Adding protection to the door cups and door edges are key. The door cup protection will prevent passengers from damaging that painted surface with their fingernails or rings. The door edge protection will help prevent door ding damage when your doors are opened up into things by your passengers. The luggage area protection will aide when loading in groceries, golf clubs, etc. so you don't scratch the painted surface back there. Finally, the rocker panel protection will come in handy if you do any aggressive driving or driving on unpaved roads as the front tires can throw up rocks along the bottom sides of the vehicle from time to time.

4 - the installation. Having a certified installer apply paint protection film (any brand) is highly recommended. These technicians typically do this 40 hours a week and know how to lay the film down properly. Knowing what to do in tough situations is critical, especially if you make an error and have to go back and pick it up to fix something. Without the right tools or knowledge, your install may not look the best. When choosing an installer, be sure to ask to see examples of their work first hand so you can gauge their workmanship, and customer support quality.

We hope this info helps. Let us know if we can answer any other questions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have XPEL on both my Forester and Ascent. Just the front bumper and half hood is all that is really needed. Maybe door handles for wife's finger nails. The whole car seems like it would be way to expensive and difficult to ever remove. Find a local guy and avoid the big chains much cheaper think my Ascent was 750 but I am a repeat customer.

Johndang,

You're on the right track for considering Paint Protection Film on your new Ascent. While there are a lot of brands on the market, you'll want to consider the important items.

1 - The film itself. Choose a film with a strong warranty (make sure it covers parts & labor). Check to make sure it covers yellowing, lifting, peeling, and anything else the film might do. Anything less than a 10 year warranty these days is unacceptable.

2 - the fit of the film. We HIGHLY suggest using a pre-cut pattern installed by a skilled professional. The pre-cut patterns give a map of basically where to start, where to squeegee next, and so on. Using a bulk piece to custom fit (with exception of the full hood) can result in a lot of blade time on your paint and that's too risky if you ask us.

3 - how much coverage are you going to get? We would go with the high impact areas of the vehicle or the areas that are most likely to get damaged. On an Ascent that would be the front end, door cups, door edges, rear luggage area, and potentially the rocker panels depending on the style of driving and road conditions. On the front end, if you don't want to see the seam running across your hood (this is visible in any brand of film) then you'll want to opt for the full body panel protection so there's no seam and the body panel will look and clean the same. Be sure to protect the headlights from becoming oxidized or yellow. Adding protection to the door cups and door edges are key. The door cup protection will prevent passengers from damaging that painted surface with their fingernails or rings. The door edge protection will help prevent door ding damage when your doors are opened up into things by your passengers. The luggage area protection will aide when loading in groceries, golf clubs, etc. so you don't scratch the painted surface back there. Finally, the rocker panel protection will come in handy if you do any aggressive driving or driving on unpaved roads as the front tires can throw up rocks along the bottom sides of the vehicle from time to time.

4 - the installation. Having a certified installer apply paint protection film (any brand) is highly recommended. These technicians typically do this 40 hours a week and know how to lay the film down properly. Knowing what to do in tough situations is critical, especially if you make an error and have to go back and pick it up to fix something. Without the right tools or knowledge, your install may not look the best. When choosing an installer, be sure to ask to see examples of their work first hand so you can gauge their workmanship, and customer support quality.

We hope this info helps. Let us know if we can answer any other questions.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
XPEL is a great product and every new car should get it, except for one fatal catch, the exorbitant installation cost. This can cost upwards of a thousand to many thousands. When you factor in this cost, the ROI fails miserably.

I advocate trying to install it yourself. Try a simple panel and work your way up. It may not come out perfect the first time but the flaws are very minimal and eventually you'll get the hang of it. Try a low-cost bulk film from Amazon first to practice or email manufacturers for free samples (you'll get a lot). Then do the front of the hood. If it comes out bad, the stuff easily peels off without any harm to the paint. Don't worry about a few bubbles, they disappear in time. Look on YouTube for many installation tutorials. It's really not that hard especially if you spring for pre-cut panels.

Give it a shot, what have you got to lose? If you get good at it you can even charge others to install it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the process of getting a 2020 Ascent and want to get a bumper wrap for it (at a minimum). I'm looking at pre-cut options, but it seems like most companies have them for the 2019, but nothing listed for 2020. If I'm not mistaken, the bumper is exactly the same between the two, correct? So I should be able to get a 2019 fitted one without issue?

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent
1 Posts
The F-Performance characteristics are excellent, the car is glued perfectly, and there are no problems with the film during its exploitation. In view of these properties, I choses the F-Performance film brand last year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts