Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first brand new car and I am so clueless about all of the options to protect the exterior of the car and had not thought about it until the business manager tried to sell us on the dealer option at closing.

My dealer offers something called Smart Shield from ArmorAll. I received very little information from the dealer. It appears to be a coating that protects the exterior and also an interior application too. My online search has not yielded much info about this. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this? Reading about others ceramic applications I'm beginning to think this smart shield is just some snake oil. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Skip the dealer for any paint protection / detailing type services and go to an actual professional detailer for quality products and service.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looking at the Smart Shield ArmorAll documentation, it appears got be "ceramic" type coating, i.e. silicone based. Much like OptiSeal, CQuartz, Gtechniq, but different than the silicone carbide coatings like OptiSeal Pro. Unfortunately, with the ArmorAll name most will roll their eyes even though it might be a good product. That being said, the coatings are only as good as the detailers applying it. Unless the work is outsourced, I have ZERO confidence that I dealer's detail shop would be able to provide you a proper application.

I will echo Meyeracer's comment and recommend that you skip the dealership offering, find a professional detailer, and pick a coating that fits your budget. Detailing is a labor of love, professional detailers tend to be passionate about their work and I think would be the place where you money is best spent.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Local shop has a standard suv rate of around $1315, but there is 15% discount using one of the local discount cards (which my work provides to employees as a benefit)
Original rate includes door edges, but since I have door guards they will add rear gate edge instead (not a bad idea, I will be able rest my skis agaist opened gate now)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The dealership I went to added a paint sealant for free. It even came with free swirl marks over the entire clear coat that I'm going to have to pay hundreds of dollars to have a professional detailer fix.
Don't let the dealership touch your paint unless you want them to damage it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am having xpel installed next week. Full hood (so no line to confuse eyesight), front bumper , half front fenders, mirrors and door handle cups.
I do lots of skiing. Usually each trip is like a mini sandblast.
Local shop has a standard suv rate of around $1315, but there is 15% discount using one of the local discount cards (which my work provides to employees as a benefit)
Original rate includes door edges, but since I have door guards they will add rear gate edge instead (not a bad idea, I will be able rest my skis agaist opened gate now)
Getting this done right now. Same as you Leon except I'm skipping the fenders. Cost is around $1000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.