Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my luck has gotten better lately! While at my the dealership dropping off our Ascent for an AC issue I found a nice section of paint peeling off on my front bumper. Has anyone had or seen this before? The dealership said they will “try their best” to get it repaired under warranty but don’t know if they will be able too. In all the vehicles I have own I have never had paint peal or chip like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh man, that's rough. Do you know if this was a case of debris or a rock chip? That said, it almost looks like the paint didn't quite seal to the bumper to peal like that or like something scraped/shaved it off

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to imagine where it’s at that it was probably a rock or something that hit the area. But even then it shouldn’t have peeled like that maybe a ding

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've seen this happen before. Paint on the bumper used to need to be mixed with a plasticizer to make it flexible enough to bend when necessary. These days they sell special formulations of automotive paint flexible for bumper covers. However, if something went wrong with the formulation or the underlying surface was not properly prepared, the paint could flake off. This happened once to me on a Camry I had repaired.

Just take it back to the dealer, their body shop will repaint it good as new or they'll simply replace the bumper cover, as long as they don't accuse you of hitting something. If they do, then have it repaired via the comprehensive policy on your auto insurance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen this happen before. Paint on the bumper used to need to be mixed with a plasticizer to make it flexible enough to bend when necessary. These days they sell special formulations of automotive paint flexible for bumper covers. However, if something went wrong with the formulation or the underlying surface was not properly prepared, the paint could flake off. This happened once to me on a Camry I had repaired.

Just take it back to the dealer, their body shop will repaint it good as new or they'll simply replace the bumper cover, as long as they don't accuse you of hitting something. If they do, then have it repaired via the comprehensive policy on your auto insurance.

If the dealership refuses to repair the damage I was thinking about writing SOA about the issue first. If that fails then as you suggested it’s putting a claim into my insurance.

·
Registered
171 Posts
One of two things happened - bad paint prep at factory revealed by a stone bruise or the bumper cover was damaged prior to delivery at the dealership and got a badly done repair and paint. It’s not uncommon for vehicles to receive damage from factory to dealerships.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Nope, that's their second post about it. Theirs was damaged by a car wash that cut into the bumper, as they mentioned in their first post that has the pic showing that something dug into the bumper. They forgot to mention that in their second post.

That's the only other one I've seen.

There was another one with peeling chrome.

So from what I have seen on other social media platforms this issue is popping up with several other Ascent owners. Someone today posted this picture of their black Ascent with the same issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, that's their second post about it. Theirs was damaged by a car wash that cut into the bumper, as they mentioned in their first post that has the pic showing that something dug into the bumper. They forgot to mention that in their second post.

That's the only other one I've seen.

There was another one with peeling chrome.

So from what I have seen on other social media platforms this issue is popping up with several other Ascent owners. Someone today posted this picture of their black Ascent with the same issue.

Yes it looks like they possibly took some damage! I wish I could pin point what caused mine, other then some rock chips but it should peel like that.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Yes it looks like they possibly took some damage! I wish I could pin point what caused mine, other then some rock chips but it should peel like that.
I'd absolutely report yours, because I would suspect it shouldn't delaminate like that. Heck, my Outback saw many miles driving through ocean beach sands and even ocean tidal pools, with numerous rock chips from over 220,000 miles, and no delamination - and my Ascent takes the same abuse... so...

I suspect it's just like the one guy's chrome, and a bad one-off. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure will! I want to call dealer for an update on my Ascent but to be honest I’m having too much fun driving this outback! I’m going to have to seriously consider the 20 Outback with the turbo when released.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well heard back from the dealership who said a district rep from Subaru reviewed the damage and believes the vehicle was “hit” and will not cover the repairs! That’s some major BS if the Ascent was hit I believe I wouldn’t have much more sign of damage like a dent, ding or crack. The service rep then tells me “maybe a shopping cart or something hit you at Publix” ummm I’m pretty sure of a cart hit the Ascent the damage wouldn’t peel like that maybe a scratch or ding not peeling paint.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Well heard back from the dealership who said a district rep from Subaru reviewed the damage and believes the vehicle was “hit” and will not cover the repairs! That’s some major BS if the Ascent was hit I believe I wouldn’t have much more sign of damage like a dent, ding or crack. The service rep then tells me “maybe a shopping cart or something hit you at Publix” ummm I’m pretty sure of a cart hit the Ascent the damage wouldn’t peel like that maybe a scratch or ding not peeling paint.
Email SoA with detailed pics.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called and spoke with them and the representative told me there is nothing they can do because a district rep inspected the damage and made a determination. But I will email them as well because the rep I spoke with in the phone was not very helpful and Jersey rude.

What is the SoA email? I will send them my pics of the damage

·
Registered
160 Posts
Based on the location (center) and the height of the bumper, I am wondering if a truck with a receiver hitch sticking out may have backed into the car causing the bumper to flex and the paint to scuff back. I don't know enough about paint to comment otherwise, but to me this may be an option. I am guessing that if a trucked backed up and the hitch hit your bumper, they may not even know they did it. That is the sad thing, that most people if they cause a scratch, dent, or door ding will not leave any info, they just move on with their day. Sadly, I think it will be difficult for you to prove that it was not damaged and get Subaru to cover it, but it is worth a try.

Good Luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought that but I would guess if they hit me hard enough to remove paint I would have a dent or crack in the bumper not just peeled paint.

It’s $425 to have the body shop repair the bumper.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I thought that but I would guess if they hit me hard enough to remove paint I would have a dent or crack in the bumper not just peeled paint.

It’s $425 to have the body shop repair the bumper.
For that, I'd probably consider buying a used pre-painted bumper and install it myself.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like painting the current or replacing with a used one cost about the same ? I could always place the front plate holder to cover the spot.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looks like someone took a putty knife to it. Do you parallel park in dense urban areas?

Curious if someone passed between cars and scraped it with like a bike pedal or something

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.