Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Congrats! I'm also doing an accelerated payoff by using a three year loan, taking advantage of my Social Security money. (which also pays my contribution toward my daughter's tuition) I didn't want to be paying for it longer than three years because it's likely we'll downsize in a year or two as Professor Dr, SWMBO gets closer to retirement.

Reactions: djrussell

·
Registered
192 Posts
Heck yeah man!!!! That is the way to do it!!! Personally I have never had a car loan and I plan to teach my kids the same thing. However, I am currently planning out a purchase of a new subaru and plan to take advantage of their zero percent interest. Though it will break my streak, I think I'm OK with it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heck yeah man!!!! That is the way to do it!!! Personally I have never had a car loan and I plan to teach my kids the same thing. However, I am currently planning out a purchase of a new subaru and plan to take advantage of their zero percent interest. Though it will break my streak, I think I'm OK with it.
Hey, if you're getting 0% that's cool.

I'm usually a save up for something and then purchase kind of guy. Haven't had a car loan since 2006 and paid that one off quickly also. The Ascent wasn't a planned purchase though so financing or buying extremely used was necessary. Our last car got hit by lightning and totaled out.

Now to direct some of that free cash to the mortgage. :)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
I took the 0%/63 months loan but have been paying enough to cut it to 48 months. My version of staying ahead of depreciated value instead of gap insurance.

As a retiree it also allowed me to keep my investments working without pulling over 40k out.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you think you can do better in the market (a big if for many), it doesn't always make sense to pay a low interest loan off early (I'm assuming most have a low rate loan)

If you have higher interest debt elsewhere, it's often best to pay that down first.
That being said, I am paying the Ascent off in <24 months because I hate to owe money ( and the F-Pace also, even at 0% ).

But it's a psychological thing for many, myself included, to have no debt, and/or to be able to minimize the amount of 💰💰 that leaves our account every month, even if it's not the best financial course of action. We are not always rational creatures......

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
If you think you can do better in the market (a big if for many), it doesn't always make sense to pay a low interest loan off early (I'm assuming most have a low rate loan)

If you have higher interest debt elsewhere, it's often best to pay that down first.
That being said, I am paying the Ascent off in <24 months because I hate to owe money ( and the F-Pace also, even at 0% ).

But it's a psychological thing for many, myself included, to have no debt, and/or to be able to minimize the amount of 💰💰 that leaves our account every month, even if it's not the best financial course of action. We are not always rational creatures......
I hate debt too and the Subaru loan is the first one I've had in 30 years. The last one was 0% for a Chevy Nova which was a re-badged Corolla. The Subaru loan cost me $1500 (not zero interest, it's pre-paid interest) since I had to sign over the rebate to the dealer. Not liquidating $40k will easily return over the $1500 over the 4 years ($40k of medium term municipal bonds return more than $1500 in the first year alone).

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I am $5 closer to paying off my Outback. Received a $5 check from Subaru for the class action settlement regarding the head unit in the 2018 Outback. The only people who win in class action lawsuits are the LAWYERS.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am $5 closer to paying off my Outback. Received a $5 check from Subaru for the class action settlement regarding the head unit in the 2018 Outback. The only people who win in class action lawsuits are the LAWYERS.
That's why it's pointless to even get involved in that. I think it was that one that I ignored because I read the fine print and it basically said you were going to get $5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts