Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried starting the car last night in -9°F weather and got a long crank of about 5 seconds before the engine decided to start. Took it home and checked the CEL. Found P1160 was the only code. This is a code for the throttle body spring not working. Most other people with this code reported high idle speed, which makes sense. It seems like this is probably just a fluke considering the engine performed well, but I'm wondering if you guys think I should bring it in to the dealership?
On a positive note, the car is a lot more fun in the snow with the stability control disabled due to the CEL. :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you had this again? I had it happen in Feb 2020 and again today. Car is parked in an insulated garage. Both times it happened was after being parked outside for about an hour. It is very cold (5 deg F), but I feel like my car should be able to be outside for an hour without issues.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Have you had this again? I had it happen in Feb 2020 and again today. Car is parked in an insulated garage. Both times it happened was after being parked outside for about an hour. It is very cold (5 deg F), but I feel like my car should be able to be outside for an hour without issues.
In exceedingly cold temps, Eyesight may turn off, and various warnings may turn on, on the dash. IF you can read the codes, if it happens again, see if it's a P1160, and look into the ECU update. If you've had an ECU update (eg: as part of one of the service campaigns), it could explain why you haven't had the problem in a year. Can you see what was performed in the last year to your car and see if an ECU update was part of it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.