Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into the Owl dash cam as something simple to install and do myself since it mounts low and is powered by the OBD II port. https://owlcam.com/ I like the LTE features too.

Has anyone installed one yet? I see in other threads there is an issue with eyesight interference, but since it's lower, I wasn't sure if it was still an issue in this case.

Is partially blocking the center solar sensor an issue too? (I have a touring if that makes a difference.) The bracket would go up and over that. I'm not sure what that sensor is for since the touring light/rain sensor is supposedly by the mirror.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went ahead and bought it anyways. Installed it today and so far so good on my first short drive.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I was looking into the Owl dash cam as something simple to install and do myself since it mounts low and is powered by the OBD II port. https://owlcam.com/ I like the LTE features too.

Has anyone installed one yet? I see in other threads there is an issue with eyesight interference, but since it's lower, I wasn't sure if it was still an issue in this case.

Is partially blocking the center solar sensor an issue too? (I have a touring if that makes a difference.) The bracket would go up and over that. I'm not sure what that sensor is for since the touring light/rain sensor is supposedly by the mirror.
Just scanned some Amazon reviews, so don't know all of the devices attributes, but is an annual subscription required for this device? If not, what do we sacrifice by just using the device with no subscription?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just scanned some Amazon reviews, so don't know all of the devices attributes, but is an annual subscription required for this device? If not, what do we sacrifice by just using the device with no subscription?
It comes with a year, but without the service, this is what their site says if you don't renew. Which sounds like a regular dashcam without a removeable SD card:

Things You Can Do:

Your camera still records while you are driving and in guard mode
You can still trigger clips using your voice by saying “OK Presto”
You can still view and save clips to your phone in History over Wi-Fi

Things You Can’t Do:

No Instant Video Alerts
No remote Live Viewing
No downloading and sharing video when you’re away from the car
No voice naming OK Presto clips

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
It comes with a year, but without the service, this is what their site says if you don't renew. Which sounds like a regular dashcam without a removeable SD card:

Things You Can Do:

Your camera still records while you are driving and in guard mode
You can still trigger clips using your voice by saying “OK Presto”
You can still view and save clips to your phone in History over Wi-Fi

Things You Can’t Do:

No Instant Video Alerts
No remote Live Viewing
No downloading and sharing video when you’re away from the car
No voice naming OK Presto clips
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The problem I'm finding with all dashcams is that they need to be installed in areas where Subaru says not to install anything due to EyeSight interference.

If anyone is using this dashcam or any others, could you please let us know if you're experiencing any issues with EyeSight functionality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there's 24hr surveillance by motion activation?
You can set 24, 48 or 72 hours.

The problem I'm finding with all dashcams is that they need to be installed in areas where Subaru says not to install anything due to EyeSight interference.

If anyone is using this dashcam or any others, could you please let us know if you're experiencing any issues with EyeSight functionality.
The reason I bought this one is because it's low on the dash (and it's easy to install yourself, took me about 10-15 minutes including trying the different length arms.) Their support said they tested it with eyesight without issues. I've driven about 600 miles with it so far. I just haven't had a chance to drive with it in the dark of night just yet.

You can turn the screen "off" if you don't want the distraction. It still will display the LTE signal strength and that it's recording in text at the bottom though.

I used the voice tagging feature a couple of times and it works great other than it doesn't always get my label right 100% of the time, but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm interested too....Can you post some pics? How was the install? Was hiding and tucking the cable easy?
The hardest part was shoving the cable between the left pillar and the dash, but it was easy overall. The tool they give you to push in the cable worked great. I'll try to get pics posted today.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts

I installed my Garmin 55 directly under the rearview mirror. Eyesite functions properly. Cruise control, lane keep assis, etc. No interference at all. Have it like this for a while without any issues.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
^^^ me too. I mounted a Garmin Mini directly under the rear view mirror mount. It's pretty inconspicuous.

I looked at mounting it high on the windshield to the right of the right Eyesight cam but the windshield wiper doesn't sweep that area. Alternatively, high left of the left Eyesight cam would be a safe bet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts