Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi - i hauled some oversized crap in the trunk (sticking out of the back). I stuck a carabiner into the latch, so ascent thought hatch was closed.
when stationary or super slow, fine. As soon as you go just a little faster (5MPH? 10? not sure), the thing would start beeping.

I turned off RAB, warning tones, whatever I could find.

Ultimately i just played blues real loud.

Does anyone know what would beep? Could it be the parking sensor things? Just wondering for the next time I have to do something like this.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
It's a warning that the rear hatch is open and is a normal safety notice. There is potential danger from exhaust fumes being drawn in and most SUVs do not recommend highway travel with the hatch open like that. I doubt it can be disabled.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This was never an issue on my 2010 Forester. There were many times I had to leave the hatch partially open to transport an oversized item home.

The owner should ultimately be able to determine what they feel is safe for their own vehicle based upon the circumstances. A warning alarm may be incorporated into vehicles to alert the driver, but once alerted, the alarm should always be able to be turned off. Otherwise, it is a serious distraction to driving which then, in itself, may be a safety issue.

This philosophy follows that of commercial and military aircraft. Audible alarms are able to be turned off once they have alerted a situation because constant sounding would be a serious distraction to the pilot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts