Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Subaru has its own Rear entertainment option, and I know I-pads are getting cheaper and other option are available, but my wife is set on having an overhead drop down DVD player for my 5 yr olds (twins) in the back. Has anyone here actually done this themselves yet? I am sure there are some here that may have had it done but I am interested about some one that has done it. I don't have the panoramic sun roof. So I would be mounting to the roof(clearly). The question would be how easy is it to get the head liner down and what do I have to mount the bracket to? Wiring is basic and i know what i am gonna do there. I just want to be armed with as much info as i can before doing my usual tear into it and find out i boo boo'd... maybe there was an easier way....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i have ordered a unit from Amazon and I will play the install game in a couple week. I have their birthday party this weekend and the mother in laws the next so free time is used up to install it for the next couple weeks.i will try and get some pictures and post of the install. with the Ascent being so new and not many people have jumped on the Ascent for upgrades i imagine it will be handy in the future.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm going to guess you do not have one with a sunroof correct? If you do you are out of luck no way to mount it and you will need to go with an option that goes on the headrests.

I remember looking into this for my old car as I wanted something for the kids to watch and I found that getting this setup is more complicated than I thought from removing the entire headliner getting electricity and also mounting. I ended up doing what other people have done and bought the mounts for the headrests and mounted tablets that I download movies on. My kids have headsets that can use Bluetooth or wired if the batteries get low.

As this is not built into the infotainment system you do not get the ease of use like you would in a Minivan with the DVD/Bluray up front and the ability to play through the sound system. Granted on the older Odyssey my parents have the DVD can only play through the front speakers and not the rear which is confusing as can be that the driver has to listen with it really loud so everyone can hear. Well unless you buy 6 pairs of wireless headphones which is ridiculous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to guess you do not have one with a sunroof correct? If you do you are out of luck no way to mount it and you will need to go with an option that goes on the headrests.

I remember looking into this for my old car as I wanted something for the kids to watch and I found that getting this setup is more complicated than I thought from removing the entire headliner getting electricity and also mounting. I ended up doing what other people have done and bought the mounts for the headrests and mounted tablets that I download movies on. My kids have headsets that can use Bluetooth or wired if the batteries get low.

As this is not built into the infotainment system you do not get the ease of use like you would in a Minivan with the DVD/Bluray up front and the ability to play through the sound system. Granted on the older Odyssey my parents have the DVD can only play through the front speakers and not the rear which is confusing as can be that the driver has to listen with it really loud so everyone can hear. Well unless you buy 6 pairs of wireless headphones which is ridiculous.
No I don' t have the panoramic sun roof and with our infotainment center we have an AUX channel we can feed audio into the radio the audio will come out of the speakers in the car. true I will not be able to operate the dvd player from the radio but i can still get sound out of it. I have installed these before in multiple vehicles so getting 12v, ignition and ground from it and the audio from it isn't a concern. I already know how i am going to do that. just looking to see if i can find some pointers. i tried talking her into head rest monitors but they have individual DVD players and that gets annoying or a remote mounted DVD player and the headrest and that is just more work than i want to put into it. My boys don't leave headphones on. but if they both see the same and hear the same thing and their hands are free not having to hold or wear anything it is just less complaints and gripes from the peanut gallery that is our back seat.
As a former car Audio/video/security installer you don' t have to remove the head liner you just need to lower enough of it to see where it mounts and pass some wires with a fish. You can make cuts while the head liner is in place. Now if you install a sun roof that is different but not a drop down DVD. in my case it has been a couple years since i did it as a job and this is a new vehicle. i like to go with as much info as i can so it doesn't take as long and I am not learning as i go. it just goes faster... but it will not be my first rodeo tearing into a new car with a small project like this.

Thanks for you feed back though! I will take what i can get.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i talked her into head rest monitors. way easier to install and 100% reversible. power comes from a cigarette lighter, and audio goes through the head phone jack/ aux jack. operates off a remote and when i get done with my small modifications it will be all plug and play. and all for a $160. pictures to follow i have to have them in before our road trip on Saturday.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay pictures may have to wait. Note to anyone doing headrest monitors. Subaru Does not put attention to the edges of the seat frames, largely in part because they are covered, duh. Feeding the wire through the seat I caught my finger on the edge of the frame and about fillet my finger. Like a moron, So the picture became an after thought as I dripped blood on my wife’s new car... but they are in power tied to the cigarette lighter and the sound through the aux jack. The phone jack is the only exposed wire. Monitors work great, 100% reversible and I can go back to stock in about 10 minutes. Now road trip and lots of bandages.
I also installed the Subaru factory fog light kit as well, took about 30 min super easy kit to install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.