Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm curious if anyone has measured how much the ground clearance has changed after modifications. I know SOA lists the Ascent at 8.7" but I'd like to get some feedback from folks who've already committed. I live in Houston where we constantly experience high water events (i.e. floods) and having a taller ride is important, among other factors, to me. So....what's your set up and how tall we talking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi all, I have the Canadian Touring model with OEM 18" tires. I believe I did check my original clearance and agreed with (published numbers) was between 8.5"-9.0 inches. I upgraded the tires to 265/60/18 which increase OVERALL diameter 0.9", so they add almost 0.5" of lift. I also used the 1.25" King spring lift from Primitive Racing. I now have just shy of 11" inches. All as measured to the rear diff.

That said, I had the Nameless Catback exhaust installed a few weeks ago and it is bigger/wider and sits slightly different that the OEM. I think I lost almost 0.75" inches there. They way I can see it now my lowest area under the car is the exhaust right at the rear axle at 10.0".

Before and after all the mods, I used the top of my OEM hitch receiver. It registered pretty much exactly 2" lift.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I live in the Houston area too. Most of my vehicles have been pickups. My last one being a GMC 4wd diesel. I did miss it during the last flood. My Ascent did really well and got me home. I only had to go through curb high water. Where the Ascent works surprisingly well is when the rain is pouring down on the freeways. The Subaru AWD on my Ascent is extremely stable. I have hit water a couple inches deep on freeway because it was coming down that fast. It caught me by surprise and I was going too fast when I hit it and was shocked as to how well the Ascent handled it without any slipping, sliding or having the steering wheel jerked to one side.

If you go through really deep water then get a diesel 4wd with 35” tires. If not, the the Ascent handles well in the high water because Subaru has really refined their AWD system. Just don’t go too deep - Which I assume is why you are asking about ground clearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all, I have the Canadian Touring model with OEM 18" tires. I believe I did check my original clearance and agreed with (published numbers) was between 8.5"-9.0 inches. I upgraded the tires to 265/60/18 which increase OVERALL diameter 0.9", so they add almost 0.5" of lift. I also used the 1.25" King spring lift from Primitive Racing. I now have just shy of 11" inches. All as measured to the rear diff.

That said, I had the Nameless Catback exhaust installed a few weeks ago and it is bigger/wider and sits slightly different that the OEM. I think I lost almost 0.75" inches there. They way I can see it now my lowest area under the car is the exhaust right at the rear axle at 10.0".

Before and after all the mods, I used the top of my OEM hitch receiver. It registered pretty much exactly 2" lift.

Hope that helps.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Measuring from the rear differential as a point of reference is perfect. I appreciate the information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in the Houston area too. Most of my vehicles have been pickups. My last one being a GMC 4wd diesel. I did miss it during the last flood. My Ascent did really well and got me home. I only had to go through curb high water. Where the Ascent works surprisingly well is when the rain is pouring down on the freeways. The Subaru AWD on my Ascent is extremely stable. I have hit water a couple inches deep on freeway because it was coming down that fast. It caught me by surprise and I was going too fast when I hit it and was shocked as to how well the Ascent handled it without any slipping, sliding or having the steering wheel jerked to one side.

If you go through really deep water then get a diesel 4wd with 35” tires. If not, the the Ascent handles well in the high water because Subaru has really refined their AWD system. Just don’t go too deep - Which I assume is why you are asking about ground clearance.

Thank you for the response.I purchased my Ascent just over a year ago and drove through high water myself. I cant remember which day it was but my experience was similar to yours. I drove through water well past the curb and everything felt stable, grounded and reliable. More importantly I was able to pick up my family and make it home safely. My question stems from genuine curiosity and in part actual concern for traversing high water during flash flood events. The Ascent is my only vehicle so anything I can do to be prepared is my overall objective. I'm not biased to any particular set up(s). I'm just looking for maximum ground clearance without detriment to the warranty.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Hope that helps.
Photos???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts