Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the outside temperature gauge is slightly higher than the true reading? The temp seems to vary a few degrees above the outside temp listed on all my other devices. Is there a way to reset it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the outside temperature gauge is slightly higher than the true reading? The temp seems to vary a few degrees above the outside temp listed on all my other devices. Is there a way to reset it?
A car thermometer usually reads higher than the air temperature because the roads, particularly asphalt, are hotter than the air. This is especially true in the summer when the sun is strongest.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Even different devices will display different measurements unless you're using calibrated equipment. It's just something to give you a close temp, you're not supposed to do experiments to it ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our other Subaru is somehow a little closer. Seems to be 10' off. Just didn't know if it was something with the Ascent. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine seems to be ~5° high. The sensor must be placed somewhere less than ideal if others are having same problem. (E.g. if it’s summer heat from blacktop, sensor shouldn’t be so close to road! I’m coming from a much smaller Prius that has a very accurate thermometer, so I know it’s doable.)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I feel like most sensors are usually near the top of the windshield. So if the sun is shining...and the paint is hot...temps are going to be much higher. Aka 111 degrees when I got into my truck that was parked facing the sun the other day.

·
Registered
313 Posts
They are typically more accurate once driving around as opposed to sitting still in the sun with no air movement (while playing with the new features and settings).

·
Registered
965 Posts
No, they're going to be slightly (or drastically) different.

These are not precision scientific instruments here. And depending upon where your vehicle is parked, the temperature can and will vary drastically once you start driving and also it depends on WHERE you're driving. For example, I can get into a car that's been sitting in our parking lot not driven for a couple of days. My phone will show that the Weather Channel says it's 95 outside. Car will show 110. Start it up, get it moving, and we go on a drive on the highway, it may still show it's 98 outside. Get off the highway and drive down the wooded subdivision street where we're in shade and it shows it's 90.

I see the same thing in my truck. Once you get air flowing and moving, it'll be closer to what the TV station says, but it's never going to be exact. That's just the reality of vehicle outside temperature gauges, regardless of what they're in. (Okay, the one on the ISS is probably pretty close, but that IS a precision scientific instrument... :angel: )

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm seeing that too...my Ascent said 110 on my way home yesterday...oh, wait, that is what every other thermometer in Dallas said too! What do I love about my new Ascent? the A/C is not under powered!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm seeing that too...my Ascent said 110 on my way home yesterday...oh, wait, that is what every other thermometer in Dallas said too! What do I love about my new Ascent? the A/C is not under powered!
I'll give it that. Just got in one that was sitting outside, told the customer to wait a few minutes for things to cool down. Took it about 5 minutes, and it was fine. Oh, and the actual temp outside is 109 today, and the car said it was 117. Black Ascent sitting in the sun ...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any of you guys bothered by this? Was driving my Acura MDX earlier and the temperature reading was pretty much the same as what my iPhone and Android was reading. For but some reason, when driving the Ascent, it's usually a bit higher. I understand car thermometer and actual outside air temperature can be different due to many factors, but is it normal to be off by +10 degrees or so?

Also - does anyone know if the weather reading on the smaller dashboard screen will update based on actual location or do you change it/update it manually?

Pic just shows the infotainment reading of 81 (which was the same as phone) but the temperature reading on the screen dash shows 88.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well the temperature on the infotainment screen is from some “official” reading somewhere, probably at SJC for you. It’s usually recorded once an hour, so it’s not always up to date. I don’t know where Sirius gets is temp readings, but point is it’s not pinpointed to your space and time. The temp on the small screen is from an actual thermometer in your car, so in theory that’s the actual temp...although, like you, mine has always read high this summer.

As for the weather report on the small screen, once you pick your city from the Travel app on the infotainment screen, it should update accordingly. May take a couple drives. But based on your photo they match, so I’m not sure of your question....

·
Registered
965 Posts
Also - does anyone know if the weather reading on the smaller dashboard screen will update based on actual location or do you change it/update it manually?
If you have navigation, it will update to where you are automatically.

Otherwise, you have to get into the TravelLink app and change your location.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Depends on where the temp sensor is located but generally, material absorb the UV radiation causing the heat rising higher than air temp. Forester is the same way, it's higher. It's typical to walk into a car feeling 20degF hotter than outside.

When we discuss temp, keep in mind of the goal. If the temp shows 95degF, it's an approximation - it's freakin' hot outside and we need to blast the AC. It shouldn't be use as a data point for a technical report.

There are two types of heat, sensible (thermometer number) and latent (humidity number causing human to feel hotter); heat index is a combination of both heat types. In some places like Cali where humidity is low, latent heat is not a concern.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just to clarify there is temp reading from an actual car sensor and a reading from the navigation? Are these in different locations?

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the close to four months I've owned my Ascent I've found the displayed outside temperature to be consistently about 5 degrees higher than the actual temperature. My other cars seem to be much more accurate than the Ascent in displaying the outside temperature.

Now that it is getting colder and we are experiencing days where the morning temperature is at or below freezing, I've started seeing the "Icy Road Surface" indicator light appear on the info screen. This indicator appears to be much more closely tied to the actual outside temperature. I've had the indicator light turn on when the actual outside temp was 35 and the displayed outside temp was 40. I assume that they use two different temperature sensors?

I would love to see Subaru introduce a fix to calibrate the displayed outside temp. With the temps dropping as we head towards winter, five degrees makes a big difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts