Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple swap. One bracket needed to be removed from the ascent headlight and transferred to the outback/legacy headlight and 2 brackets on the outback/legacy headlight can be discarded. Took me about an hour to do with with my brother. Plugged up fine and the steering responsive headlights work the same. It's literally the same headlight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 300 each used. I could probably get them cheaper but wanted to make Sure I had all the necessary parts. Subaru direct sells the headlights for $531 each.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Different plug/connection harness. You would have to rewire the headlight harness. Plus, I'm not sure if the premium will register with eyesight if it communicates with the steering ability of the adaptive headlights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When comparing you can still switch to the other NON-LED headlights. Connectors still look the same. If you still want black housing headlights it is still possible. If it were me, I would switch to black on the premium and retrofit HIDs I to the projector housing.

·
Registered
2020 8 Seat Limited (Crystal White Pearl)
67 Posts
About 300 each used. I could probably get them cheaper but wanted to make Sure I had all the necessary parts. Subaru direct sells the headlights for $531 each.
Hey Scoobysnackz - I am thinking very seriously about doing this headlight swap - what model year Outback/Legacy did your headlights come from? I want to make sure I get the right part number(s) from the correct model year.

Had any issues as of yet with steering response and/or high beam assist, etc?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a small write up I posted on the Facebook group let me know if you have any questions part numbers are below:

Hey guys just did the 2018-2019 Legacy/outback black housing LED w/ adaptive headlight swap and it was pretty straight forward with very minor modification. Total time probably could take under an hour with an extra set of hands if you know what you are doing. 1.5 to 2 hours if you are a beginner.

I bought my headlights off eBay. They are OEM headlights that were being sold from salvage cars. Each side was about 300 each. Knowing now some parts could have been discarded or not needed, I could have saved some money, but glad I was able to be extra sure. You can probably score a set for 300 total if you tried.

Subaru Part numbers:
  • Left LED Headlight: 84002AL11B
  • Right LED Headlight: 84002AL10B

NOTES:
  • This is for LED to Outback/Legacy Black Housed LED swap. If you have halogens, you can swap to black housed Outback/Legacy Halogens of the same year (2018-2019). The plugs are different for halogen vs LED
  • You need to utilize the ascent mounting bracket by the grill side and switch out the legacy/outback bracket and also remove another grill bracket from the legacy headlight.
  • Bumper removal is a simple series of plastic clips. Very easy and should take about 20-30 min to remove. (Reference:
    )
  • before removing bumper fully, disconnect the fog light connection.
  • after installation the headlights self leveled, so no need for any adjustment. Steering capabilities were retained!

See pics below. Feel free to ask me questions, glad to lend a hand and shoot me a DM.

·
Registered
2020 8 Seat Limited (Crystal White Pearl)
67 Posts
I ended up doing this upgrade but recently sold my Limited but I pulled the Outback headlights first though.

If anyone out there is this swap but on the cheap, I have the headlights sitting in storage and will let them go on the cheap.

I also did the the Touring and the Touring interior wood trim upgrades - those parts will be going up for discounted sale as well.

Post to be dropped in the For Sale category soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, a little late to the game here but I wanted to make sure I understood before I spent any money.

I purchased a ‘21 Limited XT Legacy that came with a chrome housing. Are you confirming that the black housings off of a same year Outback would transition to my Legacy without issue? If so, I’m guessing I would need to purchase the same Limited XT series headlight from the Outback?

Just did a headlight swap for a more aggressive look! Super pleased on how it came out.

Top is before. Bottom is after. View attachment 5410

1 - 17 of 17 Posts