Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We, just picked up a 2021 Ascent Premium Magnetite Grey ! It was a long road of test driving other 3 row SUV's . We came out of a 09 Traverse It wasn't a horrible machine but I got tired of fixing it (she made it to 187K miles though). With all the issues we had with the Traverse we decided to stay away from Those kid haulers all together. My wife is a big Subaru girl and has owned a few in her time (2 foresters and 1 Brat). After narrowing the list to The Kia Telluride and the Ascent we chose the Ascent, Why? Well 3rd year of the model for one, and The Kia just seemed anemic compared to the Ascent. What I like about t he Subie is the lower power curve, the unrefined Truck like ride and Subies AWD is outmatched in the segment. What I could do without is the quirky CVT operation (easily fixed by using the paddles) The CVT faux shift points (I mean come on do we really need people to think it actually has gears ? CVT has been around since the 90's). The Lane assist and steering assist is cantankerous at best (but it stays switched off when you switch it off .. Bonus..). The electric Rack is a bit light and I get why. Living in New England you get to appreciate a good AWD system especially when your driveway is long, uphill and twisty. We decided to take the Ascent off road on some moderate trails around the area. She did well but will need more clearance and better tires. SSOOO !
Plans : for the coming year
First is the suspension, It took a bit of research but ,
Lp adventure 2" lift (seems to be the most comprehensive of all the kits).
Rallitech Springs (I like the idea of having the extra support to tow as well).
LP adventure skid plates for the engine and CVT , having them separate makes it easier to service.
I like the LP adventure Front light bar , but I may make my own.
CVT extra cooler with thermostat , Mishimoto sells a kit for the WRX but I am sure I can make fit.
Tires , well I have 2 choices of size, 265/60/18 or 265/65/18 wondering if the latter will fit ?
Either the Falken AT/W for the 265/60 or the Toyo open country ATIII 's
for the 265/65 tires The Toyo R/T's or the ATII's
Rims , leaning toward The KMC's or the LP-3 Black with the grey lip.
Future mods , catalyst Mid Pipe , and cat back exhaust , I think Nameless is the only one so far
COBB tuner and Dyno tune.
Any other suggestions would be good.
I imagine I will have to do some driveline angle correction and maybe the CVT mount insert, but that is all doable.

Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
87 Posts
We've had a good history with Subaru but we considered the Telluride as well as the Hyundai Palisade. I was pretty well set on the Ascent. We simply weren't willing to pay the prices the dealers are asking for the Palisade or Telluride, some over MSRP. Most in stock were FWD too. When we went to the Subaru dealer and my wife got in the Ascent, she was as sold as I was.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited. 2005 Forester.
25 Posts
The Telluride felt a lot more like driving our minivan than the Ascent did. Ascent felt peppier - hard for me to put words to it exactly but it was definitely more fun to drive. Researched forever but only took about 30 seconds actually driving the Ascent to make up my mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts