Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forums and awaiting delivery of my 2021 Ascent on Apr 30. I've read pretty much all the information related to aftermarket rims and the weight minimum required. I've noticed no one has ever tried a different auto manufacturer as an option? Looking at different vehicles like the Toyota Highlander comes close to curb weight; they have the same bolt pattern and thus the rims may be a good alternative? Anyone have tried other automaker OEM rims to see if it fit an Ascent?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OEMs tend to come at a higher cost versus aftermarket.
That is true, but here in Toronto, Canada, the practice is common due to winter swapping and thus the price for OEM rims could be found for a decent price on the used markets. Wondering if anyone on the forums may have a different vehicle and ever crossed their minds or even tried it on an Ascent.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is true, but here in Toronto, Canada, the practice is common due to winter swapping and thus the price for OEM rims could be found for a decent price on the used markets. Wondering if anyone on the forums may have a different vehicle and ever crossed their minds or even tried it on an Ascent.
That makes sense. I can see that happen here is the US for our colder climate states. I have seen Subarus, not the Ascent, swap out OEM wheels from different years and models of other Subarus. Same with Jeeps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As long as the bolt pattern fit and the offset is clear from the suspension and the wheel well, you should be fine. Centre bore can be adapted by installing the hub ring. The only thing you need to watch out is the nuts may not fit so you might need aftermarket ones. Make sure you check the wheel load though. Ideally, you want to get OEM rims for vehicles within the same class as the rims are usually rated at the same wheel load.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,265 Posts
The source of the wheels isn't so important...that they meet all the minimum specifications for the target vehicle is really important. Don't assume that wheels from a different vehicle/manufacturer have the same ratings just because that vehicle is similar in size, either. There's more to the specifications than just weight/size. Get the actual wheel specifications before you make the choice.

Reactions: humansoul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as the bolt pattern fit and the offset is clear from the suspension and the wheel well, you should be fine. Centre bore can be adapted by installing the hub ring. The only thing you need to watch out is the nuts may not fit so you might need aftermarket ones. Make sure you check the wheel load though. Ideally, you want to get OEM rims for vehicles within the same class as the rims are usually rated at the same wheel load.
I saw your post about your fc04 and found someone locally that is selling a 20" black set, so I may go that route, however, I was contemplating going via another manufacturer given the plethora of options. Of course, the wheel load is important and I'm making sure its 1800lbs! Good point on the nuts and maybe the size may not be suited for the Ascent.

The source of the wheels isn't so important...that they meet all the minimum specifications for the target vehicle is really important. Don't assume that wheels from a different vehicle/manufacturer have the same ratings just because that vehicle is similar in size, either. There's more to the specifications than just weight/size. Get the actual wheel specifications before you make the choice.
I've been rigorously checking and double checking the weight specs of each wheel choice. The scary thing here is, I've noted multiple Canadian retail stores offering 1500lb aftermarket wheels for the Ascent. I even went as far as calling the manufacturer and their basis was on the load sticker on an Ascent and stating this was safe.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
The scary thing here is, I've noted multiple Canadian retail stores offering 1500lb aftermarket wheels for the Ascent. I even went as far as calling the manufacturer and their basis was on the load sticker on an Ascent and stating this was safe.
Wow, so, they don't even know how to read the sticker?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
, so, they don't even know how to read the sticker?
I guess not - while on the phone with the rep from one of the companies they stated they pulled up the Ascent sticker on google and formulated it equal the 1500lb mark, which then they based all the selected rims to be suited for the Ascent.

Further to this, we have a retail store, called Canadian Tire where they list a plethora of aftermarket rims and pretty much every rim there states the load of 1500lbs, but is a recommended rim for the Ascent. I've also searched Costco vendor offerings and other multiple vendors and all come under the minimum weight for the Ascent.

As a Canadian consumer, the only aftermarket rims, that I have found to be available to us(I understand we can special order brands as identified on this forum), and to be within the safe 1800lb mark are the following:

FAST FC04 ONLY in a 20"
FAST Switch 18" and up

The hope was to go with a dedicated set for winters, but my approach is now leaning towards an all weather tire to function for all seasons.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Wow, yeah! It has to be a bare minimum of 1,648 pounds. Tell them to look at the proper door sticker numbers. It's always the axle loads, divided by the number of wheels, then use the highest.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess not - while on the phone with the rep from one of the companies they stated they pulled up the Ascent sticker on google and formulated it equal the 1500lb mark, which then they based all the selected rims to be suited for the Ascent.

Further to this, we have a retail store, called Canadian Tire where they list a plethora of aftermarket rims and pretty much every rim there states the load of 1500lbs, but is a recommended rim for the Ascent. I've also searched Costco vendor offerings and other multiple vendors and all come under the minimum weight for the Ascent.

As a Canadian consumer, the only aftermarket rims, that I have found to be available to us(I understand we can special order brands as identified on this forum), and to be within the safe 1800lb mark are the following:

FAST FC04 ONLY in a 20"
FAST Switch 18" and up

The hope was to go with a dedicated set for winters, but my approach is now leaning towards an all weather tire to function for all seasons.
Braelin BR06 and BR08 are also a fit for the Ascent. To be honest, finding a street style wheel for the Ascent is hard in Canada if you want to stay low in the cost. You can always look for off road style wheels as well and you will have more options. What colour is your Ascent?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Braelin BR06 and BR08 are also a fit for the Ascent. To be honest, finding a street style wheel for the Ascent is hard in Canada if you want to stay low in the cost. You can always look for off road style wheels as well and you will have more options. What colour is your Ascent?
I looked at the Braelin models too, but didn't go in depth to confirm the weight limits, so that's good to know! I totally know what you mean about finding a good looking style of wheel and not breaking the bank, that's why I was opting to just use the all weather tires on the OEM 20" rims and maybe keep an eye out for future styles/rims. Mind you, I'm leasing my vehicle, so I did not want to invest too much in case I do return after 4 years. I'm picking up my Ascent on Apr 30, it's a CWP :)

I'll make my further introductions when I have possession and have done some minor mods.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I looked at the Braelin models too, but didn't go in depth to confirm the weight limits, so that's good to know! I totally know what you mean about finding a good looking style of wheel and not breaking the bank, that's why I was opting to just use the all weather tires on the OEM 20" rims and maybe keep an eye out for future styles/rims. Mind you, I'm leasing my vehicle, so I did not want to invest too much in case I do return after 4 years. I'm picking up my Ascent on Apr 30, it's a CWP :)

I'll make my further introductions when I have possession and have done some minor mods.
To be honest, if you are leasing the vehicle, I suggest not to get 20" aftermarket rims. If you end up not keeping the Ascent and you switch to a smaller vehicle after 4 years, the 20" rims will likely be useless for you. If you plan to downsize it to 19" or 18", then you can use them on a different vehicle rather than going through the process to sell them online.

Btw, which all-weather tires are you getting?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest, if you are leasing the vehicle, I suggest not to get 20" aftermarket rims. If you end up not keeping the Ascent and you switch to a smaller vehicle after 4 years, the 20" rims will likely be useless for you. If you plan to downsize it to 19" or 18", then you can use them on a different vehicle rather than going through the process to sell them online.

Btw, which all-weather tires are you getting?
Thanks for the suggestion!

As for the tires, I'm grabbing the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. Canadian Tire has them for a good deal until tomorrow - $1090 after taxes(ONT), plus a $100 rebate from Goodyear. So that's $247/tire. I don't prefer to get them installed by Canadian Tire, but I'm gonna buy the tire warranty on top that requires them to install it. But this will give me peace of mind in case of any tire replacement given they will be forced to changed all 4, in certain scenarios, from their own pocket. I would also sell the takeoff Falkens to offset the overall cost.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hi all, new to the forums and awaiting delivery of my 2021 Ascent on Apr 30. I've read pretty much all the information related to aftermarket rims and the weight minimum required. I've noticed no one has ever tried a different auto manufacturer as an option? Looking at different vehicles like the Toyota Highlander comes close to curb weight; they have the same bolt pattern and thus the rims may be a good alternative? Anyone have tried other automaker OEM rims to see if it fit an Ascent?
I'm glad you brought this up, specifically about Highlander wheels. I've spent a lot of time researching and it sounds like it will fit w/ hub centric ring adapter, highlander having larger diameter. I'm looking at their 18"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad you brought this up, specifically about Highlander wheels. I've spent a lot of time researching and it sounds like it will fit w/ hub centric ring adapter, highlander having larger diameter. I'm looking at their 18"
The cheapest way to find out is to find a neighbour/family member with the car and do a test fit! I tried to check the load rating for the Highlander, but couldn't find it c/o google. Might be information on the HL forums/groups to confirm this and the OEM rim load information.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Their gross weight capacity is 6000lbs, same as Ascent. The load rating of wheel is associated with the gross weight, so I believe it's a good quick measurement to go by.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Their gross weight capacity is 6000lbs, same as Ascent. The load rating of wheel is associated with the gross weight, so I believe it's a good quick measurement to go by.
No, it's not. The wheels must be able to carry the highest axle load they will experience. A tire company MUST know these things. It's spelled out in various state and federal regulations. In the case of the Ascent, because it rear loads cargo and tongue, the GAWR-R must be used (and divided by the number of wheels), to come up with a figure of 1,648 pounds.

It's all literally on the exact same tag they looked at to get GVWR. Not just that, but, because it is relevant, it's literally in line with the speed and load ratings of the tires for that axle.

This isn't you or me or some other Ascent owner - this is a tire company. They messed up.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Yep, there's a lot of info across all the various tags on both sides of the car (and under the hood). I've been meaning to make a video of what everything is... shot all the photos and footage, and haven't had time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts