Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday I ordered a 2019 Subaru Ascent. Deja vu all over again, as they say. January 2013 I saw the 2014 Subaru Forester at a car show in Portland, Oregon. By April, we had a Forester Limited. I saw the Subaru Ascent at the car show in Portland in January. The Subaru display had more than it's share of visitors as compared to other brands; to me this was obvious. The Ascent looked like a beehive and I had to wiggle my way in to try out all the seats and open and close things. My first impression is that it is like an Outback and a Forester, but larger in all dimensions. Originally, I preferred the Outback, but my wife liked the Forester. We chose the Forester because when you are of a certain age, getting in and out of the front and rear seats on a Forester is less challenging. Visibility is good too. We were looking for a suitable replacement for a 1998 Mazda MPV 4WD that had the 7-passenger configuration. If you are unfamiliar with that car, it had a center differential that could be locked on demand. At speeds up to about 65MPH, you can flip a switch and go into 4WD on dry pavement. Essentially, it is really All Wheel Drive, but lacks most of the sophisticated traction controls. The fact that the torque was split to four wheels made it less likely to break traction. When things get tough, flipping another switch engaged the center differential lock and then the MPV became a traditional 4WD. Without traction control or locking differentials, there are limitations of course. I never got stuck. Never. When the 2014 Subaru Forester came out, it was a no brainer for us. We have driven coast to coast in during the winter and had more than one occasion to use X-Mode. Moving from the MPV to the Forester was a little downsizing. X-Country trips with two adults and a Labrador retriever made a Yakima RocketBox on the roof necessary. By the way, the RocketBox keeps things bone dry and handled 80MPH without issue. I won't admit to just how fast a Forester can go; I tried to catch up with BRZ in Nebraska once to see how it looked in Red. I never caught up as I figured that I was tempting fate. The wife and dog were asleep at the time, so they don't know about the land speed record attempt. Anyway, The Subaru Ascent looks like a way to recapture the extra space we had in the Mazda MPV. Four adults with a bunch of gear on a road trip is tight in the Forester. At least the way the women pack. Hey, I'm just pointing out a fact, not social commentary.

The car we ordered is the 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 8-passenger. Adding to the standard limited (code 21) we ordered as Code 23 which includes the Harmon Kardon Premium Audio System + Panoramic Power Moonroof + Navigation + Cargo Area Cover. Not done spending money. Package AAC includes the following: (09U) Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirror with Approach Light, (0BZ) Rear Bumper Cover, (06C) Splash Guards, (0CD) Cargo Tray, (0MP) All-Weather Floor Liners. Not done. Add (0C7) Trailer Hitch. After reviewing the order, it looks like this is as close as you can get to the Touring model without actually ordering it. In round numbers the MSRP is $44,161 so you have an idea, the Ascent Touring is $45,670 including Dest.+Del. Originally, we favored the 7-passenger as was the MPV, but when I played around with the seats at the car show I realized that for us the 8-passenger version was more practical. When all the seats are down the cargo loading is more practical for those trips to Ikea or Home Depot. I am amazed at how much stuff I can fit in our Forester, so the Ascent will be even better. Our dog's comfort is #1, so a bench seat in the second row will fit his bed better and still have room for stuff around there and of course behind the second row will have more room. If you are serious about getting an Ascent, The 7-Passenger is very nice, but stop to think how you will really use the car. And, I wanted red. My wife liked the blue. We are getting blue. I think I will just have to get a BRZ if I want a red car. I have always wanted a Mazda Miata. I don't fit in it. I don't fit in the newest ones either; I tried at the car show. But, I do fit in the Subaru BRZ and I have driven one. I am getting off the topic. Someone tell my wife that I need to have a BRZ. OK, I will stop now.

I have passed the Subaru plant in Indiana many times on my X-country treks, but timing prevented me from stopping by to check it out. Maybe I can stop in and see my car being built. People comparing the new Subaru to other cars in it's class and point out to me how something else is better. Wrong thinking; they are not looking at it for what it is. First, it is a Subaru. It is what it is. Otherwise, there are Toyotas and Kias and Mazdas and plenty of other choices.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have passed the Subaru plant in Indiana many times on my X-country treks, but timing prevented me from stopping by to check it out. Maybe I can stop in and see my car being built. People comparing the new Subaru to other cars in it's class and point out to me how something else is better. Wrong thinking; they are not looking at it for what it is. First, it is a Subaru. It is what it is. Otherwise, there are Toyotas and Kias and Mazdas and plenty of other choices.
To: Wife of Flarpswitch -

He needs a BRZ! (Although if you live in a snowbelt state, you can't drive it 3 months out of the year.)

Also, if you go to the SIA website, you can make reservations for the in-plant tour. There's a catwalk through the plant that let's you see paint shop (from behind explosion resistant glass windows), stamping (if B-line is running, be ready for noise), along the south end of body, and runs down the middle of trim & final.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To: Wife of Flarpswitch -

He needs a BRZ! (Although if you live in a snowbelt state, you can't drive it 3 months out of the year.)

Thanks for the support. As of last Friday, my dealer had three 2017 BRZ Limited left overs. I can get a very good price. I have already used this tact with only minimal progress. I could feign a nervous breakdown and when I go to the doc for a routine check, I could get him to write and Rx for a 2018 BRZ. Then I will say that the BRZ is the generic for the Lotus Evora 400. Look how much money I will save!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in Portland too. What dealer did you go with?
Capitol Subaru in Salem, Oregon. In 2013 at the auto show in Portland I talked to a sales rep who happened to work for Capitol. That was my initial contact and I kept up with him to get information on when the 2014 Forester would be available. I did visit just about all the Subaru dealers in the Willamette Valley, but mostly to look for the various colors; the Jasmine Green was the most elusive. While searching out the colors and features, I noticed the differences in how the cars are marketed by each dealer. It became apparent that at Capitol, it would be easier to get the car I wanted and not have an addendum sticker loaded with aftermarket accessories. There was a security feature that I felt was of dubious value, but it was a minor expense. I was free to look at what they had to offer and judge for myself. At the time of sale for the Forester Limited, I added the extended coverage to 7 years/70,000 miles. As it turns out from the potential recall on oil consumption and CVT, it was good to have, but not needed so far. The Forester has been in the almost five years, one of the best cars we have owned. I have driven coast to coast round trip during the winter in some of the nastiest rain and snow storms. I have used X-Mode on numerous occasions. I am buying another Subaru. One thing I have found in my travels that Subaru can't fix is that I have to share the road with less capable cars and/or drivers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts