Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which model is right for me. Can anyone tell me:
1. Which model(s) come with the cargo cover standard, and is it an option on all models?
2. Is the rear view mirror camera on any model other than the touring?
My problem is that I don't want a moonroof because of headroom and I prefer fabric over leather.
However, I would like all the other features in the Touring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1. Which model(s) come with the cargo cover standard, and is it an option on all models?
My problem is that I don't want a moonroof because of headroom and I prefer fabric over leather.
Other than the rearview camera, it sounds like a Premium might be the way to go. I took would have liked to have the rearview camera (didn't seem that impressive until I test drove a Touring) as well as the ventilated seats but I hate leather with a passion so that was a no go.

The Premium has a bunch of extras (over the Base) but doesn't break the bank and doesn't make you have leather. I got the option 14 because I wanted the moonroof but if you went with option 12 you would save money and still have a sweet ride.

I keep telling myself that I will forget all about the rearview camera and ventilated seats once I have my new baby (the Ascent) plus I saved a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Other than the rearview camera, it sounds like a Premium might be the way to go. I took would have liked to have the rearview camera (didn't seem that impressive until I test drove a Touring) as well as the ventilated seats but I hate leather with a passion so that was a no go.

The Premium has a bunch of extras (over the Base) but doesn't break the bank and doesn't make you have leather. I got the option 14 because I wanted the moonroof but if you went with option 12 you would save money and still have a sweet ride.

I keep telling myself that I will forget all about the rearview camera and ventilated seats once I have my new baby (the Ascent) plus I saved a ton of money.
Get the Premium with the push button start and key less entry and you won't miss any of those other amenities.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really wish they would have made the Ascent more customizable. All of the options should be available to all models but certain trims just come standard with different things.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I really wish they would have made the Ascent more customizable. All of the options should be available to all models but certain trims just come standard with different things.
I second that. I would pay extra for the front camera and rearview mirror camera if it was offered. I don't understand why auto makers seem to assume people who want the best features also want leather. The more people I talk to about cars, the more I realize a lot of people dislike leather. While I like the perks of the touring, I wouldn't put up with leather just to get them.

Reactions: lafos and norway

·
Registered
357 Posts
it saves significant amount of time and money to have options only available in certain trims.

I also don't understand why people don't like leather seats but hey thats just me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
it saves significant amount of time and money to have options only available in certain trims.

I also don't understand why people don't like leather seats but hey thats just me.
I dont like leather because in summer they get hot as **** and in winter cold as ice. Also I'd rather save the money getting the premium over the limited.

Reactions: ShadyT

·
Registered
357 Posts
I dont like leather because in summer they get hot as **** and in winter cold as ice. Also I'd rather save the money getting the premium over the limited.

makes sense I guess I live in the south and I am sure its significantly hotter here in the summer and never have a problem but I also always have tinted windows, as for cold definitely colder there and if your car sits out I am sure its like ICE!

I do find that leather is way way easier to keep clean but each their own why they make options.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am torn over Options also. I'm interested in the Limited and really only need the All weather mats but the LED lighting sounds nice. I wonder if it would be easy to do yourself and save a bunch of $$$. The cargo tray seems like a very nice idea but I'm sure I could get an after market one. Anyone find the bumper cover to be a necessity?

·
Registered
67 Posts
headroom? I have a touring and test drove a model without the moonroof. The headroom is the same or potentially increased with the fabric cover rolled back. You don't lose headroom by having a moonroof.
For the panoramic you DO seem to lose the ability to choose the middle-row seat being a bench (seating 3), and you can get it seating only 2.

For what it is worth, this is my first vehicle with ventilated seats, and my first with the rear-view camera built into the mirror. I absolutely love both features. My 2nd day with the Ascent we drove 19.5 hours south, with 5 people, and luggage blocking the rear view mirror. I flipped on the camera and smiled the whole trip. It has a nice wide view that complements the mirrors and the blind-spot-indicators beautifully. I found it odd at first that I could turn around and see my kids, but not see out the back, then would look up in the "mirror" and see out the back fine. I got used to that really fast. A few times I have leaned up to check something on my face, only to remember that it is not in fact a mirror when my face did not appear.

But ventilated seats. Oh lawdy-lawdy-lawdy, where have they been all my life? I can start the Ascent from my phone and go out and plop down on a cool seat in a cool car (on our trip to Florida) or now back at home in the northeast I can go out and get in a warm car with warm seat (alas, you cannot activate the steering wheel heater from remote).

·
Registered
667 Posts
For the panoramic you DO seem to lose the ability to choose the middle-row seat being a bench (seating 3), and you can get it seating only 2.

IIRC, both 7 and 8 passenger configurations -ARE- available with the panoramic moonroof option.

Option Package #14 on the Premium 7 and 8 passenger, model codes KCC and KCB, respectively, and #23 (7/8 for codes KCE/ KCD) on the Limited.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well color me confused! I wonder why the Touring loses the choice, than?

It looks like the cargo cover question wasn't answered (or I am lazy at reading). You can add it as an accessory to any model. Just so you know, though, it is only useful when the 3rd row is laid flat. For us that is essentially never (we have 3 kids in a touring, so our 3rd row is always in use). It can pop into the storage area below the rear floor, though, so it is not in the way. It has a special spot in that tray so it's not sliding around or anything either.

·
Registered
667 Posts
^ Maybe the CCs are regarded as being more "luxurious" versus the bench as being more "utilitarian," and therefore the designers wanted only the CCs in the top trim level? I have no idea! :)

I would really have rather that the bench either be an option all-around, or that they'd offer the CCs in the Touring with some kind of center console extension either with more rear-seat entertainment options or an onboard cooler/warmer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts