Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a very cute family that purchased and is happy with their new Ascent, "Dory" :) They have done some "real person" videos with the family which are well thought out and nicely done - they explain the pros and cons from their perspective and experience. When this video was made, they had about 10,000 miles on the odometer. I'm NOT asking anyone to critique this video. I'm just curious as to your thoughts, mainly between 2:00 minutes in and 4:50 minutes as to the performance of the Ascent. I think the Ascent should, theoretically, be as capable as the Forester or Outback, given the ground clearance, same AWD system etc. (not sure if there is any significant difference in the approach, departure & breakover angles). Would you agree? Your thoughts or any thoughts? (avoidance of kneejerk "I. Must. Defend." thoughts would be appreciated). Thanks.

·
Banned
145 Posts
My thoughts?

The cvt is doing what is programed to do. The "surging" is more noise the physical. People are use to "surging" meaning an increase in speed, but with a cvt it is more of how it works. Now if it is a physical surging, you need to see the dealer, some sensors might be off.

As for getting stuck in mud, well that is a wheel issue. If you take any car with stock street tires and place it in that same area, you would get the same results. AWD with out proper tires just means 2 more wheels spinning freely.

As for the "horsepower" comment. You don't need massive horsepower to do offroading. The 277 FT lb of torque is enough for a suv the size of the ascent. The Jeep Grand Cherokee trailhawk has less torque then the Ascent, 260 and weights 500lbs more. And everyone considers that one of the best offroading vehicles.

I would say, yes, it is just as good offroad as the forester and the outback. But I would not consider the outback and forester to do anything more then "mild" offroading. With proper tires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I appreciate the time they take to document real world in a car such as this. I'm no serious off roader... but I have worked a few years at a well known tire company here in the PNW... the tires were simply not aggressive enough for the terrain and were clearly caked full of mud. At that point you're talking about trying to climb with the equivalent of racing slicks.

IMHO, if the wheels stop moving, than you could maybe argue horsepower or torque or distribution issue. But as long as you're loosing traction to the degree it was (like all 4 wheels slicked up) it's not a powertrain problem.

Can't speak to the engine noise/surging... but it looked and sounded to me like it was doing pretty darn good for being a family SUV.

Again, not a ding on the producer, and I appreciate the sharing of their experience. It's always interesting to see folks taking 'stock' to it's 'limits'.

Maybe they could get a 'sponsor' set of off-road tires from some tire shop or company wanting to get some publicity.

My .02

·
Registered
35 Posts
If the "surging" was bothering me, I would just put it in manual, pick the gear I wanted, and control it with the throttle.

I agree with the comment about the tires, but will say that I was very pleased with tire traction in the recent blizzard up in the Northeast. Of course maintaining momentum is always important.

Reactions: thegeeknme

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the "surging" was bothering me, I would just put it in manual, pick the gear I wanted, and control it with the throttle.

I agree with the comment about the tires, but will say that I was very pleased with tire traction in the recent blizzard up in the Northeast. Of course maintaining momentum is always important.
This may be a dumb question, but out of curiosity, with a CVT automatic, how would one "just put it in manual, pick the gear I wanted, and control it with the throttle." ??? Even thinking about this - and again I may be missing something - you could not even do this with paddle shifters, as paddle shifters do not actually convert the transmission shifting process to manual, they merely "mimic" or create an artificial (not real) shift point/feel? :dunno:

·
Banned
145 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but out of curiosity, with a CVT automatic, how would one "just put it in manual, pick the gear I wanted, and control it with the throttle." ??? Even thinking about this - and again I may be missing something - you could not even do this with paddle shifters, as paddle shifters do not actually convert the transmission shifting process to manual, they merely "mimic" or create an artificial (not real) shift point/feel? :dunno:
Manual mode is all the way down and left on the gear selector. And it locks you into fake "gears".

·
Registered
266 Posts
At 4:00 the left front wheel dug a hole it seems almost to the center of the wheel. From there the vehicle is pretty much against a wall, so all it can do is slip.
Once he gets out of that position it seems to get more traction but once some wheels are off the ground, all of the torque is diverted to the ones making contact, but has to go through the tire and as others said, there's your weak link right there.
Even so, with some more momentum he could've probably gone through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts