Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at the wheels that come on the ‘20 Outback Onyx Edition .They’re 18”s and look exactly like the Ascent Premium 18” wheels except in black.I love the way those look and was wondering if they would fit the Ascent Premiums,can’t seem to find the info on bolt patterns for the Onyx.
Would like a all black wheel but don’t want to go the plasti-dip route.I just think they would look awesome and OEMish at the same time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Been looking at the wheels that come on the ‘20 Outback Onyx Edition .They’re 18”s and look exactly like the Ascent Premium 18” wheels except in black.I love the way those look and was wondering if they would fit the Ascent Premiums,can’t seem to find the info on bolt patterns for the Onyx.
Would like a all black wheel but don’t want to go the plasti-dip route.I just think they would look awesome and OEMish at the same time.
I think it is a pretty safe bet that the bolt pattern is the same as the Ascent's. The big question would be if the wheels clear the Ascent rotors. Also, do you want a 7" width over the 7.5" width on the Ascent? Going to buy OEM wheels though is pretty pricey. Why all the hate on the Plasti-dip? For $30 and about 4 hours of mainly drying time on a weekend afternoon and you have changed the look of your car. Don't like the way it turned out? Just peel it off.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,218 Posts
They would also need to meet the minimum load handling numbers for the Ascent. The Outback is a much lighter vehicle.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn’t take the load handling and caliper clearance into consideration,thanks for pointing that out.
I’m guessing it’s a no go,don’t want to mess with the handling.
Not hating on the plasti-dip, I’ve watched demos on applying the product and it seems pretty straight forward.It is cheaper too(y)

·
Administrator
11,129 Posts
If you plan on off roading, stick with the wider rims, regardless of whether or not the OB rims meet the requirements others mentioned above.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One way you can help achieve a more 'factory' look is to keep the center Subaru emblem unpainted. I wanted my 20" OEM rims black, yet maintaining as much of a clean/factory look as possible and felt like leaving the emblem in the middle was the missing ingredient. If you look at the Onyx's 18" rims, the center emblem is not black as well. It's one of those minor changes that makes a big difference in my opinion. If you have the Ascent 18's already, doing this with plasti-dip is my suggestion. Like, FourMoBro said, if you don't like it, just peel it off. In my case, I probably will go back to the silver finish soon because I'm not sold on the black look with those particular rims.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you really want black wheels and can afford to be without your car for a few days, put your car up on stands, have your tires dismounted from the rims and have them painted or powder coated. Mount the tires back up, balance and install. I have done this before and actually coordinated with my mechanic and powder coating shop. I had them order the powder I wanted, they let me know what day they could do the wheels and my mechanic was kind enough to leave my truck on the rack for the afternoon/overnight. That gave the powder shop time to sandblast and coat my rims. Picked them up the next day, had my mechanic mount up the tires and I was off with a new color. Timing was everything and was only without the truck for 24 hrs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts