Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I purchased my 2020 Ascent I have been having an issue with my battery going stone dead (and I mean stone dead, not even enough juice to unlock the doors). My Assent has been into service twice for this same ongoing problem and they have replaced a multitude of items including installing a new upgraded battery. And now, just yesterday it happened again, my battery was stone dead after only a week without driving it. I'm down, but I'm not out thanks for a friends advise that I received a few weeks ago which I want to share with you now. Here is a little tool that can jump start your car in a flash and the good part is that it can fit into your glove box. This little puppy is a battery jumper on steroids, I kid you not. And it can charge your cell phone/s as well.

$59.00 at Costco

I couldn't believe how fast and simple this little device got me going again. (the twenty spot is for size comparison).
Well, it's back to the service department I go for a third round of attempts to cure this serious problem. I do hope they can solve this ongoing problem because getting marooned with a dead battery is a super inconvenient experience and it could possibly be quite dangerous given the right circumstances. Hmmm, I just thought of something, if they don't crack the problem this time I think my Assent will fall under the protection of the 3 strikes Federal and State Lemon Law. This dead battery issue has got to end and soon. Right now I don't trust my Subaru for a far as I can throw it, which is a shame.

·
Registered
145 Posts
typically, it requires a certain amount of time out of service at the dealer plus the automaker has a last chance to repair..... And you have to demonstrate the failure.....and if it falls in your favor, it's based upon mileage at first repair attempt...... This process may vary by state....not aware of a federal lemon law.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Nhwheelman. Yes, you are correct. Back in 2002 I exercised my Lemon Law rights on a Cadillac Escalade. It was a little involved but GM gave me every Penney back including sales tax and license fees..... that could only be used on the purchase of another GM product.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,145 Posts
if they don't crack the problem this time I think my Assent will fall under the protection of the 3 strikes Federal and State Lemon Law.
Your particular state laws/regulations apply here so you'll need to research them to understand specifically what's required to make the lemon claim.

Sad you are having this issue, but it does seem that "something" is draining that battery while the vehicle is shut down. Has the TSB for the rear hatch power drain thing been done on your vehicle?

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, all the TSB requirements have been accomplished on my vehicle, up to and including the radio amplifier TSB. I agree, something is draining that battery and it seems to be a common problem with the Ascent. I have been driving for far too many years than I care to remember and I have never experienced this kind of problem before with any vehicle I have ever owned, and my driving habits have been pretty consistent.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,145 Posts
I agree, something is draining that battery and it seems to be a common problem with the Ascent.
It's pretty common relative to the rear hatch, but...not necessarily "in general". Most of us have had zero issues around this.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
Have you measured yourself the current drain on the battery as the car sits in the garage with all lights off and everything closed?

To second (or third) a statement above, lemon laws do vary by state. Some states have a number of strikes as you noted (they get three tries to fix something safety-related, or something similar) and some states have a time-out-of-service rule (so many days). You may have already checked into this in your state. In fact, I think every new car is required to have lemon law in formation included with the documentation (like a small pamphlet in the owner's manual case).

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply hokiefyd. Excellent question, but no, I have not yet measured the current draw with everything shut down. I am now wondering if this automobile keeps an open communication channel of some type with the home base and that feature, if existent, is constantly drawing current. I can't confirm this but it may also be possible that the car is constantly hunting for the key fob and the reason I am questioning this is because my service rep keeps asking me how far away I keep the key fob away from the car when it's housed. However, I now keep my key fob in an RF blocking pocket case. IMHO, After a full charge is met, this car should be able to lay totally dormant for at least a month and then crank right up with no problem at all. To be honest with you the situation is becoming so critical for me I am considering installing a marine battery switch to open up the battery circuit each time I park the car. I am use to using the mechanical key to open up my Ascent anyway. I once stored my Honda in a Laguna Beach storage unit for 3 summer months and it fired right up with no problem at all after that extended storage period.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was able to contact SOA customer service and ask for a reimbursement or an Odyssey battery. This is a $308 battery that has a much higher reserve and more CCA. The OEM battery is notoriously underpowered. Replacing the battery yourself is an easy DIY 15 minute job.

Ever since I purchased my 2020 Ascent I have been having an issue with my battery going stone dead (and I mean stone dead, not even enough juice to unlock the doors). My Assent has been into service twice for this same ongoing problem and they have replaced a multitude of items including installing a new upgraded battery. And now, just yesterday it happened again, my battery was stone dead after only a week without driving it. I'm down, but I'm not out thanks for a friends advise that I received a few weeks ago which I want to share with you now. Here is a little tool that can jump start your car in a flash and the good part is that it can fit into your glove box. This little puppy is a battery jumper on steroids, I kid you not. And it can charge your cell phone/s as well.

View attachment 5087 $59.00 at Costco

I couldn't believe how fast and simple this little device got me going again. (the twenty spot is for size comparison).
Well, it's back to the service department I go for a third round of attempts to cure this serious problem. I do hope they can solve this ongoing problem because getting marooned with a dead battery is a super inconvenient experience and it could possibly be quite dangerous given the right circumstances. Hmmm, I just thought of something, if they don't crack the problem this time I think my Assent will fall under the protection of the 3 strikes Federal and State Lemon Law. This dead battery issue has got to end and soon. Right now I don't trust my Subaru for a far as I can throw it, which is a shame.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that is a great idea. I'll contact SOA and make a request of the same.
Odyssey battery...... hmmmm.. why didn't I think of that:)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The Subaru Ascent should operate normally with the Subaru battery installed, or Subaru should fix the problem. It is Subaru's responsibility to figure out what is causing the battery drain. Seems to be a common Subaru problem.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Not to bring up a dumb point but with the Conrona Virus most folk’s driving habits have changed. Lots of people are only putting a few miles on their cars and making just short trips. With just short trips car batteries have a tough time. They lose power to start the car and then the car needs time to recharge the battery. With only short trips batteries are not given enough time to fully recharge and batteries are getting run down over time. Now couple that with a not so good Subaru (or almost any other OEM) battery and it probably doesn’t have a chance.

I live in the country so I drive several miles a week and I don’t make too many short trips. My 2019 Ascent‘s battery has been holding up fine. I test my car batteries every oil change because testing is quick and easy and in Houston the temps are hitting 100F. I don’t want any of my family stranded with a dead battery. I tested mine this weekend when I changed the oil and it is still running strong. I suspect my Subaru battery experience is not the same as most. I have been paranoid about my battery and carry a similar jump box as you do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to bring up a dumb point but with the Conrona Virus most folk’s driving habits have changed. Lots of people are only putting a few miles on their cars and making just short trips. With just short trips car batteries have a tough time. They lose power to start the car and then the car needs time to recharge the battery. With only short trips batteries are not given enough time to fully recharge and batteries are getting run down over time. Now couple that with a not so good Subaru (or almost any other OEM) battery and it probably doesn’t have a chance.

I live in the country so I drive several miles a week and I don’t make too many short trips. My 2019 Ascent‘s battery has been holding up fine. I test my car batteries every oil change because testing is quick and easy and in Houston the temps are hitting 100F. I don’t want any of my family stranded with a dead battery. I tested mine this weekend when I changed the oil and it is still running strong. I suspect my Subaru battery experience is not the same as most. I have been paranoid about my battery and carry a similar jump box as you do.
Make sure you store your jump box and a spare screwdriver under the seat. If you put it under the rear floor storage area (like I did), it will do you no good when the battery is dead and you can't get your lift gate up.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a dumb point at all Rubi. Excellent point in fact. Thank you for bringing it up. I keep my jumper in the glove box. Actually, I'm surprised that there is not a mechanical way to open that rear hatch. Which by the way, my Ascent is back in the service dept as I write this reply for yet another episode of a dead battery and leaving me stranded after only sitting for 6 days. They have isolated the problem to be a defective amplifier. This will be the second time they have replaced that amp which causes me great concern. Unfortunately, this car needs an auxiliary battery system installed before I'll ever trust it again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not a dumb point at all Rubi. Excellent point in fact. Thank you for bringing it up. I keep my jumper in the glove box. Actually, I'm surprised that there is not a mechanical way to open that rear hatch. Which by the way, my Ascent is back in the service dept as I write this reply for yet another episode of a dead battery and leaving me stranded after only sitting for 6 days. They have isolated the problem to be a defective amplifier. This will be the second time they have replaced that amp which causes me great concern. Unfortunately, this car needs an auxiliary battery system installed before I'll ever trust it again.
There is a mechanical way to open the rear hatch - crawl over back seats, use a screwdriver to remove the access panel on the inside of the rear hatch then use that same screwdriver to actuate the latch. But again - it doesn't work if your screwdriver is also in the under floor storage with your jump box o_O

·
Registered
830 Posts
Make sure you store your jump box and a spare screwdriver under the seat. If you put it under the rear floor storage area (like I did), it will do you no good when the battery is dead and you can't get your lift gate up.
I will be moving my jump box out of the back now. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Turing Brilliant Bronze (Soon)
38 Posts
With COVID and kids at home it is not as much a problem; however, typically when the kids had a long weekend from school, or week long breaks, I would put my wife's SUV on a charger. It ended up being about 3-4 times a year. With all the short trips she does at times, the battery does not really get a good charge in. I have a small little 2 amp trickle charger that I put on and leave it there for a good day if I can. Vehicles never really turn off now.

I would also be inclined to do that with a new battery also to ensure a good charge when new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts