Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One year ago, yesterday, my wife and oldest daughter totalled our minivan in a Michigan snowstorm (both unhurt) and so one year ago next Monday we took delivery of our brown 2019 Ascent Premium. According to Starlink, it has just over 27,000 miles on it from the past year. It's been from Michigan to Kentucky and Canada, and back and forth to the in-laws "up north" a bunch of times, but mostly it's been my wife's commuter car.

Problems? Rear hatch latch, in the first couple of weeks of ownership. And, um...that's really it.
Gas mileage? We get in the low 20's as an average...rises to high 20's on freeway trips.
But...problems? Really, we haven't been troubled with all of the problems being bandied about and obsessed over on this forum.
But...? Nope, not even the cupholders being too big -- they work just fine for our oversized insulated coffee cups.
But what about....? Seriously. It's been a year of basically uneventful driving.

Okay, the looks really haven't grown on me. It's a crossover. It looks like everything else...but brown. It's not lovely. Don't care though...didn't buy it for the looks. Here it is on New Year's day, up north, dirty and in the snow:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad to hear this I have only had it for 3 months and reading this forum got me nervous but happy a positive review thank you

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thank you for your report. I had a similar experience: 1year and 3 months now, only 14000 miles of normal, everyday life in the Ascent. Off the dealership it had a plastic panel damaged with glue (merely cosmetic) which they replaced and the fan on my radio was as loud as a 10 year old PC. They replaced the entire infotainment in a few days. After that... absolutely nothing: 2 boring oil changes.
Mine is one of the "bad dates" but it passed all tests and my transmission is smooth as butter. So far so good. Love the vehicle.
I can't really comprehend some of the bad reports:
  • Noise at the highway: mine is pretty quiet even at 80 mph
  • Incontrollable steering that bounces in the lane: mine goes so straight the vehicle thinks I took my hands off the wheel. I don't even need to give any input, just hold it and it goes straight.
  • Braking noise: Mine doesn't vibrate or make any noise.
  • Moves a lot with lateral winds: I just drove with 20mph wind from the side at speeds of 80 mph and up to 90mph in short periods. It honestly doesn't move much more than my other car (which is a german sedan, not an SUV).

So let's raise the glass for the boring drama-free life!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your report. I had a similar experience: 1year and 3 months now, only 14000 miles of normal, everyday life in the Ascent. Off the dealership it had a plastic panel damaged with glue (merely cosmetic) which they replaced and the fan on my radio was as loud as a 10 year old PC. They replaced the entire infotainment in a few days. After that... absolutely nothing: 2 boring oil changes.
Mine is one of the "bad dates" but it passed all tests and my transmission is smooth as butter. So far so good. Love the vehicle.
I can't really comprehend some of the bad reports:
  • Noise at the highway: mine is pretty quiet even at 80 mph
  • Incontrollable steering that bounces in the lane: mine goes so straight the vehicle thinks I took my hands off the wheel. I don't even need to give any input, just hold it and it goes straight.
  • Braking noise: Mine doesn't vibrate or make any noise.
  • Moves a lot with lateral winds: I just drove with 20mph wind from the side at speeds of 80 mph and up to 90mph in short periods. It honestly doesn't move much more than my other car (which is a german sedan, not an SUV).
So let's raise the glass for the boring drama-free life!
You do bring up some specific points.

Quiet -- it's a freakin' bank vault compared to anything in its price range. I rent cars weekly for work, and our Ascent is quieter at highway speed than 95% of them.

Steering -- we noticed that it's a bit sensitive to steering input just off-center...but not inherently prone to wandering. As long as you don't clench the wheel like a spasmodic chimp, it's just fine...less dramatically put: you learn your car as you drive it.

Braking noise -- we do have a warped rotor, I think, but that's from use, not design. We drive a lot.

Lateral winds -- that's the one thing my wife does report. It's kind of tall and kind of slab-sided...it moves around in a crosswind. Those laws of physics are a biotch sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.