Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been expereincing issues with the eyesight system where as when driving at different speeds and different weather conditions the eyesight will turn off for 1-2 seconds. ON the dash where the digital speed is being displayed the speed will disappear and a OFF will be displayed for 1-2 seconds preceded with a chime. Of course when I take it to the dealership they say they can't duplicate the problem. I should also say that no matter whether or not a car is in front of you the system goes off and then back on.
We had a 2017 Outback and never had any issues what so ever with the eyesight system on that vehicle. I'm wondering if anu other Ascent owners are having this problem?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've only had my Ascent a little over a week, but this has happened to me a few times. However, it only seems to happen when I'm approaching an intersection. Not sure if this helps. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's only safety issue if you drive blindfold...
I only get "Eyesight OFF" only if Lane Keeping Assist is active

"Eyesight OFF" due to weather conditions and road conditions explained in manual

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can be driving down the highway or on a byway with or without traffic and in any weather conditions and it will happen. I've contacted Subaru customer service to see if they will pickup the cost of a rental for a few days to see if it will happen when a service rep drives the vehicle. When they ran diagnostics on the car they see that it's been shuting off momentarily, but they don't know why? I don't understand why the dealer won't contact Subaru factory techs to see what they have to say. What is the difference whether or not it happens when they have the car because they see the system is shutting off when they checked it out.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
What is the message it shows? Does it say "Eyesight Off" or is it showing Lane Keep Assist is turning off? For most people who've indicated such an issue, it's Lane Keep Assist turning off, either due to road conditions, or due to actions on their part. Either is normal.

IF it's LKA turning off, then, when one of the myriad of actions that causes it to stop seeing a line happens *while it is trying to help you steer*, it will beep and show an "OFF" message on the driver's center display. Totally normal.

When it stops seeing a line marker but wasn't helping you, you see no message and there's no chime. It simply silently darkens the appropriate line marker on the center display.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can be driving down the highway or on a byway with or without traffic and in any weather conditions and it will happen. I've contacted Subaru customer service to see if they will pickup the cost of a rental for a few days to see if it will happen when a service rep drives the vehicle. When they ran diagnostics on the car they see that it's been shuting off momentarily, but they don't know why? I don't understand why the dealer won't contact Subaru factory techs to see what they have to say. What is the difference whether or not it happens when they have the car because they see the system is shutting off when they checked it out.
Had a similar issue a few months ago, here's how that turned out...

Eyesight would turn off and on every couple minutes driving in clear conditions with no weather. It would do it after cresting hills or going through shadows. Made a 500 mile family trip quite aggravating too since eyesight off disables the cruise control also **more on that below**!

When I brought it in they pulled up the codes and saw tons of disabled eyesight notifications. They reset the counter and let me drive if for another few days to get a baseline and go from there. After 3-4 days of it doing it just like it always had the tech pulled codes again and couldn't believe how many eyesight disable codes were present. They got to looking closer and realized the physical eyesight shroud that protects the cameras was pushed down 1/4" by the rearview mirror cable shroud. It was just enough that it was partially blocking the eyesight lens making it more sensitive to darkened conditions during the day which disabled it entirely when it couldn't get enough light to see properly.

Took them 30 seconds to fix it and it hasn't done it once since. You couldn't really tell that was the case by sitting and looking at it from the seat side. But once getting underneath and looking closer it was obvious.

**More on Cruise Control** I don't think this in the manual I haven't read it cover to cover, but there's actually a way to use manual cruise control when eyesight is disabled or not. Turn cruise control "on" and then hold either of the adaptive cruise control distance buttons for 3 seconds. It will beep once and a different icon will come up on the screen... boom... manual cruise control without adaptive cruise or eyesight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve experienced the same type of problem. Have taken it in twice, one for 2 1/2 days, no fix.

I’m dumping the car before CARFAX reports become too obvious and Kelly Blue Book goes down.

Irritating part is I worked in test engineering for over 25 years. This SHOULD NOT be happening.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After reviewing the EyeSight owners manual, it appears that the "off" warnings I've been receiving are for lane-keeping assist, which is an icon that has a car, lane markings, and the word "OFF" in capital letters. I have never received the Eye Sight temporary stop indicator, which is an icon that has the words "Eye Sight" with a slash through them. I've attached screenshots of both warning icons from the owner's manual to show the difference.

Furthermore, I've only ever received the lane-keeping assist off warning on streets where this system shouldn't be used anyway (i.e., not on interstates or limited-access highways, where the system is designed to be used). I didn't realize lane-keeping assist shouldn't be used on these streets, since my dealer never mentioned it and I didn't read the user manual before driving the car...

Anyway, this makes me wonder if people in this thread are talking about two different things, one being the lane-keeping assist off warning, and the other being the Eye Sight temporary stop warning.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When te error occurs it is when I have both cruise control and lane assist turned on. Again it will happen in any driving condition where as I hear a beep followed by the word OFF where the digital speed is being displayed. It happens for 1-2 seconds and the speed reappears. When this happens the cruise control doesn't dis-engage. At this point I guess I'm not sure if it's an eyesight issue or lane assist issue.
I will try to only engage lane assist and no cruise control to see what happens.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
When te error occurs it is when I have both cruise control and lane assist turned on. Again it will happen in any driving condition where as I hear a beep followed by the word OFF where the digital speed is being displayed. It happens for 1-2 seconds and the speed reappears. When this happens the cruise control doesn't dis-engage. At this point I guess I'm not sure if it's an eyesight issue or lane assist issue.
I will try to only engage lane assist and no cruise control to see what happens.
That's absolutely not an issue. It will happen whenever lane keep assist is on but stops assisting because it turns off.

Please read your Eyesight manual.

Short version is, LKA turns off whenever you slow below 37ish mph. It turns off one or both sides whenever it loses lane confidence. It turns off one side whenever you go across a lane marking without signaling.

If it was NOT helping you, then the only thing you will notice is one or more lane markings turning dark.

IF IT IS ACTIVELY HELPING when it turns off, you will hear it beep, and it will flash "OFF" on the center display to let you know it was *actively* helping but had to stop.

·
Registered
965 Posts
One thing that you will notice as we get into summer months is that lane keep will seem sensitive when you're driving on the highway and go under a multi-lane overpass. I'm not talking about the simple two lane road overpass, I'm talking more like a small tunnel overpass, 4 or more lanes. (Perfect example from here in OKC, driving south on I-35 and going underneath I-240.) Going from very bright conditions where the lane markings are VERY clearly defined because, well, it's bright daylight to suddenly plunging into a dark tunnel, I can almost guarantee the lane keep will disable itself because it'll lose the lane markings. Typically it'll find them again after a second or two.

Another thing that does happen, especially around here, is that you'll be on the road and the markings are clear, and then you get on a bridge and they're almost non-existent. Lane keep will disable itself that way as well.

I tell all of my customers during delivery, and I can't repeat this enough - The Eyesight collision avoidance system and related convenience features are for driver assistance, NOT driver replacement. YOU still have to drive your vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's absolutely not an issue. It will happen whenever lane keep assist is on but stops assisting because it turns off.

Short version is, LKA turns off whenever you slow below 37ish mph. It turns off one or both sides whenever it loses lane confidence. It turns off one side whenever you go across a lane marking without signaling.

If it was NOT helping you, then the only thing you will notice is one or more lane markings turning dark.

IF IT IS ACTIVELY HELPING when it turns off, you will hear it beep, and it will flash "OFF" on the center display to let you know it was *actively* helping but had to stop.
Your last paragraph describes precisely what is happening to me and often. Usually happens when I have not been paying attention to LKA on a road that the manual says is not quite wide enough and when LKA seems to give up on burning a brake.

I would agree it should beep if we had a lane centering option and it can't center the car for that moment. It's also an interesting way to get the driver's attention that it was trying to help and needs to escalate awareness.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've noticed the LKA off message on mine comes when it doesn't have marker lines on each side of the road, like an entry ramp where the right side line disappears until the ramp lane is merged back to the highway. I would think this is normal. If it can't read the lines then it can't work. I've kind of gotten where I don't pay much attention to it and just figure it is doing it's thing.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
There's a lot to take in, and sometimes the manuals are tough to read. They're no Game of Thrones or anything. I hope to do some videos soon, for those who are more visual learners, but, weather hasn't permitted. But, of all the manuals to read, the Eyesight Manual is the most important. At least start with the Quick Reference.

In the meantime, I've read them all, front to back, multiple times, (and done nearly 22,000 miles of "live testing" in the Ascent since I bought it) and will continue to try to answer every question and concern that comes up.

So, everyone, ask away... and if by some slim chance, I don't have the answer, well... I know people. I will get you the correct answer for anything Eyesight related. It's that important.

·
Registered
21 Posts
“Please read the eyesight manual...”

I get the impression Subaru Corporate and legal wrote that manual as a legal defense for a severely flawed Eyesight system in the Ascent that the company knowingly went to market with. Four, count again FOUR folks from Subaru have said the exact same thing.

All I know is my Ascent reports more false negatives in 50 miles driving than my 2017 Outback reported in over 33,000 miles driving.

I’m getting rid of the car. Nothing but problems with Eyesight: e.g. when one experiences full on collision avoidance braking two times at 65 mph with absolutely no cars in front of you, behind you or beside you - one loses all confidence in Ascent’s Eyesight and the safety of the system..

I refuse to be a pro-bono test engineer for Subaru engineering and quality assurance. I think Subaru executives released this car before it had been fully tested.

My Ascent was in service for 2 1/2 days with no fix.

I suspect Subaru is in for a class action lawsuit over Ascent’s Eyesight system. I won’t be part of it. I’m getting rid of the car,

The Ascent Eyesight system smells like a Volkswagen diesel in my book. Unfortunate - as noted before my 2017 Outback Eyesight system worked near flawlessly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Me. Eyesight Off; Eyesight Off - See Manual, manual states this occurs after collision avoidance invoke 3 times. I received that “Eyesight Off - See Manual” once when in Park and explaining controls to my wife; 6-8 lane-minder off in less than an hour; two collision avoidance brake incidences at 65 mph on completely clear highway.

This car is severely flawed. The 2017 Outback Eyesight was flawless.

I AM NOT going to have it at a service facility again for 2 1/2 days if that log is either worthless, or technicians aren’t trained, or, Subaru doesn’t provide technical help to dealers.

The beeping at lowest level alone is an annoyance at best, a stressor at worst.

You bet “Eyesight Off - I keep the system totally turned off now for good until I buy a different car this week.

I suggest all at Subaru be given copies of W Edward Deming’s “Out of the Crisis” - and read it.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
NORMAL operation

·
Registered
418 Posts
Me. Eyesight Off; Eyesight Off - See Manual, manual states this occurs after collision avoidance invoke 3 times. I received that “Eyesight Off - See Manual” once when in Park and explaining controls to my wife; 6-8 lane-minder off in less than an hour; two collision avoidance brake incidences at 65 mph on completely clear highway.

This car is severely flawed. The 2017 Outback Eyesight was flawless.

I AM NOT going to have it at a service facility again for 2 1/2 days if that log is either worthless, or technicians aren’t trained, or, Subaru doesn’t provide technical help to dealers.

The beeping at lowest level alone is an annoyance at best, a stressor at worst.

You bet “Eyesight Off - I keep the system totally turned off now for good until I buy a different car this week.

I suggest all at Subaru be given copies of W Edward Deming’s “Out of the Crisis” - and read it.

Hate to say it, but this must be just your car, mine does nothing even remotely resembling this, ever. I haven't even heard of anyone else suffering this issue of the Eyesight triggering while the car isn't even moving, and that after owning 3 different Subarus that offer the Eyesight system. Your assertion that the car is "severely flawed" can only be in reference to your specific example, unfortunately, and not the car model as a whole. I hope you find something else that works better for you.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts