Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought long and hard about starting this thread, as there are several threads on this topic, probably too many already, with Robert’s just recently posting his poll.

I’ve gone through my records and created a Web page that shows my actual, recorded mpg.

My mpg ranged between 14.5 mpg to 32 mpg between Dec. 7 2018 and September 8, 2019.

An average mpg is useless information for me as it does not “tell the whole story”.

The mpg varies because of the following:

Weather and Road Conditions; including extremely low temperatures through the winter and snow, ice and slush on the roads.

The driving distance; the longer the distance is without stops, the better the mpg is. Winter usually means shorter driving distances as well and no trips to the RC flying field, which is 16 miles away.

The driver; when my wife drives a lot between fill ups, the milage drops significantly. Her foot is a bit “heavier” than mine. (Her car is a red, 2011 Mustang convertible. Need I say more?) She also does not plan out her trips and just goes where she wants, when she wants, and does not plan her trips during the best time of day. (See the next point.) Also, I drive using cruise control whenever safely possible and she NEVER uses cruise control.

The time of day; we are retired and I make every effort to not be on the roads around here during the rush hours on weekdays. Yes, we do have rush hours between about 6 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. in the morning and 3 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the evening.

The weight: when the trailer is attached, or when the Ascent is loaded up with water softener salt or gardening soils and supplies, the mpg goes down.

The driving environment; 2-lane paved roads in suburban or country areas yield entirely different, and better, mpg than freeways and multiple lane roads in urban areas.

The speed; I drive at the speed limit, period, whenever safely possible, therefore I don’t go over 70 mph on non-urban freeways here in the lower half of the lower peninsula of Michigan. (The speed limit is 75 mph on freeways in the upper part of the mitten. Yeah, that’s what we call or uniquely shaped state.)

The air conditioning; how much this affects gas milage is debatable, but I never use the AC unless it is too hot and muggy. I am an open windows guy at almost all times of year, but from observing other drivers in our area, I am in a definite minority any time of year.

I expect that the mpg will not be as good as “usual” from now on because my wife picks up our granddaughter every day, five days a week, at her school bus stop near our granddaughter’s house.

My granddaughter’s school bus stop is only a little over a mile and a half away (distance), but the drive is during the evening rush, and it is almost impossible to turn left to get out onto the main road from our street. Waits of over two minutes are pretty much the norm to get a break in the traffic on the 2-lane main road and “punching” the accelerator is almost always necessary to make the left hand turn into traffic safely.

I’m am not sure if this information is useful to many people, especially folks who have to drive in an urban area, but I did want to share it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
Ken, on the AC vs open windows, mileage may actually be less with the latter because of how open windows affect aerodynamics. Today's AC systems in vehicles are really efficient compared to years ago. It's not going to be much of a factor at low, "urban" speeds, but most certainly can affect things at highways speeds, IMHO.

Excellent synopsis, BTW.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Jim. As always, it is much appreciated. I know that you, as well as others, had posted similar comments about the windows open versus the AC before, so that's why I noted it as debatable.

I'm an old guy, who rode a motorcycle for well over 45 years, and still enjoy the smells, temperature changes and sounds of riding, even in a car, although the wife's car is even more fun for that. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Thanks Ken, it's good to get all of these factors out there in one place for consideration. Especially for potential buyers so their expectations are more grounded in the ways they will actually be using the Ascent, or any new vehicle.

I'm with you, Summer here is too fleeting to not have the windows down and the sun roof wide open (when I'm alone).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
I think that many of us enjoy a drive with the windows and/or roof open when the air is nice. (nice meaning a reasonable temperature and humidity level) I particularly like that in the early spring or late fall for a local drive on a sunny day. That said, I tend to prefer the quiet of a closed up vehicle so I can hear the tunes, especially at highway speeds. It all works out all around!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree with everything you said but want to add one thing.

I think part of the reason many are getting lower MPG than expected is due to the 4cyl being very willing to rev up and accelerate. I know with many of the V6s I tried they are tuned to MPG and you really need to step on it to go. For the Ascent I give it a bit of gas and the RPMs will jump and give me power quickly.

I think a lot of people are driving more aggressively than they would if the engine/transmission was meant to hold them back like in other SUVs. Also without a downshift the power is always right there ready to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts