Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My limited Ascent came with 20" wheels, but I plan to drive rough dirt roads, where an 18" wheel with larger tire handles potholes and rocks better. If I can find a person or dealer with a premium model with 18" wheels, who wants to trade, is there any problem with just trading all 4 wheels (with tires, of course) between vehicles? I assume the total diameter of wheel + tire must be the same, as the 20" wheels are offered as an option on the premium.
Any advice appreciated, thanks!

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
My limited Ascent came with 20" wheels, but I plan to drive rough dirt roads, where an 18" wheel with larger tire handles potholes and rocks better. If I can find a person or dealer with a premium model with 18" wheels, who wants to trade, is there any problem with just trading all 4 wheels (with tires, of course) between vehicles? I assume the total diameter of wheel + tire must be the same, as the 20" wheels are offered as an option on the premium.
Any advice appreciated, thanks!
OEM 18" and 20" wheels are identical in diameter and width and offset. The only thing you will have to do (2019-2020 Ascents) is have them register the different TPMS to the car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
As you note, the tire diameter is the same so there's no issue swapping wheel sizes. However, don't expect a dealer to be overwhelmingly open to swapping between vehicles. You may be able to find a third party willing, however. Try the Classifieds and be clear about the general area where you live since a swap isn't something you can do over long distances by "mail".

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had very good luck talking to the parts department at my dealership. They referred to them as "take off wheels". Essentially another customer wanted to upgrade to 20" wheels, so they had brand new 18" take off wheels for me to buy for $100 per wheel (I think MSRP is around $300-$400 per wheel). They are also price matching on tires and turn keyed the whole thing which is nice.

In hindsight, it may have saved me some money to do the process as part of the initial buying transaction, but it sounds like not every dealership will do that.

I'm paying a little more than I would like for the OEM TPMS (keeping the old ones attached to the 20" wheels and going to sell them), but it is nice to have the piece of mind for everything to be OEM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you already purchase? I have my o.e. 18inch tires and wheels with 300 miles on them ill sell to you for $600
I upgraded my 2020 ascent to 255-50-20 Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail with some TSW wheels. Ride is quiter and smoother than the stock Falken A/S tires
and car handles and reacts much quicker now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you already purchase? I have my o.e. 18inch tires and wheels with 300 miles on them ill sell to you for $600
I upgraded my 2020 ascent to 255-50-20 Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail with some TSW wheels. Ride is quiter and smoother than the stock Falken A/S tires
and car handles and reacts much quicker now.
again sorry for long delay...have not purchased yet. I'm in Sacramento.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are picking up tomorrow and apparently our salesman got permission to do the 18" swap onto your limited from a premium they have. Crossing fingers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looks good!...I wasn't able to do a swap when I bought my limited, but just bought for $750 a set of brand new 18" wheels and OEM tires from someone with a premium that replaced his with after-market off-road wheels and tires. The same auto parts place gave me only $500 for my 20" set with 5000 miles, but that's fine as I don't have time to try to sell them on-line.

·
Registered
21 Posts
looks good!...I wasn't able to do a swap when I bought my limited, but just bought for $750 a set of brand new 18" wheels and OEM tires from someone with a premium that replaced his with after-market off-road wheels and tires. The same auto parts place gave me only $500 for my 20" set with 5000 miles, but that's fine as I don't have time to try to sell them on-line.
Our salesman wasn't sure he could do it and got a no originally but went to the GM and got it approved.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
Getting a dealer to agree to a swap isn't easy because it effectively complicates the sale of the "donor" vehicle since it then doesn't match the build-sheet/sticker/specifications for how it was manufactured. Even though many folks probably wouldn't notice it, the dealer could get called on it if it's not documented properly and transparently. If they swapped off a used vehicle...less of a challenge, I would think.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,111 Posts
Getting a dealer to agree to a swap isn't easy because it effectively complicates the sale of the "donor" vehicle since it then doesn't match the build-sheet/sticker/specifications for how it was manufactured. Even though many folks probably wouldn't notice it, the dealer could get called on it if it's not documented properly and transparently. If they swapped off a used vehicle...less of a challenge, I would think.
I never wanted to get any SUV with 20" wheels and had the "downgrade" discussion at Subaru, Mazda, Kia and Hyundai dealers. The Mazda and Subaru dealer were open to it although they were going to swap for ordered wheels, not takeoffs from another vehicle in inventory. Both Mazda and Subaru dealers are owned by the same family. But then the Subaru salesman showed my the OEM 18s. The style just didn't work for me so we took the 20s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts