Subaru Ascent Forum banner
241 - 244 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fuel is getting into the crankcase via the piston rings. A faulty pvc system will not add fuel in massive quantities to a crankcase like that. If the rings are faulty or not seated they will leak and the oil level will rise. As the fuel dilution worsens it breaks down the viscosity of the oil making it thinner as well as breaking down its ability to lubricate chemically. With a 0w-20 you are already on the verge of protection which is only used so manufacturers can satisfy the CAFE economy requirements. No 0w-20 is not the best oil for the engine it is only used for CAFE! Easy way to see what you should use is look up what your car model in overseas markets use. I guarantee the oil weight is spec’d differently. From revealed information Subaru lost the class action lawsuit and is now acknowledging that the piston rings are faulty. My advice is run a 5w-30 and monitor your fuel dilution via an analysis service like Blackstone until the engines are fixed. Change your oil often to keep the dilution low. If it gets as high as some have said like an increase of half inch of oil level I would have to say engine damage has been done already. That is a lot. Blackstone flags any report over .5% fuel dilution which would be undetectable in the visual oil level. Good luck and sorry modern Subaru’s are having such problems. I’m actually not surprised as 85% of all the 2.5L engines produced from 1998-2006 suffered from faulty engine design resulting in blown head gaskets. The bulletproof 2.2L engines piston diameter was enlarged which resulted in a reduced sealing surface between the head and block. Instead of redesigning the engine like they should have done they modified the 2.2L as a cost cutting measure. Millions of customers got stuck holding the bag as Subaru denied all accountability even though the engines were proven defective. That is shady business period.

·
Banned
244 Posts
And my crankshaft has run out. Can anyone watch the videos and tell me what you think? Just search 2019 Ascent crankshaft run out. thanks

post 241 states the fuel is getting past the pistons and into the oil. I think under normal circumstances this would mean your engine has very low compression for gas to pass the rings. Maybe a more proper explanation is that the fuel pressure is way too high and forcing fuel past the rings? Or are the rings defective to the point that fuel can just pass through? I just think that if that were the case, then the compression would be so low that the heat of compression would be so low that the engine would not run properly. This is like the brake problem. It seems that Subaru has no incentive to address and fix these problems. 241=posts about a problem, and nothing from Subaru?

·
Administrator
979 Posts
And my crankshaft has run out. Can anyone watch the videos and tell me what you think? Just search 2019 Ascent crankshaft run out. thanks

post 241 states the fuel is getting past the pistons and into the oil. I think under normal circumstances this would mean your engine has very low compression for gas to pass the rings. Maybe a more proper explanation is that the fuel pressure is way too high and forcing fuel past the rings? Or are the rings defective to the point that fuel can just pass through? I just think that if that were the case, then the compression would be so low that the heat of compression would be so low that the engine would not run properly. This is like the brake problem. It seems that Subaru has no incentive to address and fix these problems. 241=posts about a problem, and nothing from Subaru?
I do not understand your 'crankshaft has run out'... Unless you are using that statement as a metaphor for still being upset with Subaru.

If it is not that particular case, then start a new thread. Don't create an off topic discussion.

- Chris

·
Banned
244 Posts
It’s a metaphor and also directly related to the condition discussed in the thread. Dilution of the oil will cause all sorts of heat related wear problems. The oil will lose its lubrication and heat transfer properties and cause damage to the rings. Then the pistons. Then the cams and crankshaft. The excessive wear and heat will cause the crankshaft to run out - bend.
But I can’t see it happening as actual gasoline passing the rings.
so it’s all the same issue - premature engine wear caused by lack of lubricants due to a very low initial viscosity 0w at cold, as the previous poster mentioned used now for epa reg meeting, and gas in the oil. Gasoline flashes at -49 f and combusts with out sparks at around 538f ( Stamford site) at stp I assume. I’m wondering if the guy whose engine blew up hav a lot of gasoline in the oil and it caused the engine to blow up? Maybe Subaru made him sign a no disclosure and that’s why he has not gotten back to let us know if his issue was related to the gasoline in the oil. Only my wife signed the no disclosure.
Also it seems that the oil should be high enough in some of these cars to start setting off evap codes soon. Wouldn’t the canister be saturated if that much gasoline was in the oil ?

241 - 244 of 244 Posts