Subaru Ascent Forum banner
221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Another hundred or so miles and still no gas smell in the garage.
I’ve put another 100 miles on and oil hasn’t gone up noticeably and it smells like oil...not like gas. Maybe this is what the issue is for us low mileage Ascent owners.

Robert, you mentioned you were have oil dilution at 80k+. Any resolution for you? How many miles on your oil when you noticed a rise or smell?

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
I’ve put another 100 miles on and oil hasn’t gone up noticeably and it smells like oil...not like gas. Maybe this is what the issue is for us low mileage Ascent owners.

Robert, you mentioned you were have oil dilution at 80k+. Any resolution for you? How many miles on your oil when you noticed a rise or smell?
Been meaning to check since my oil change. Tuesday, I can check after work.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Not sure I’d count mine as low mileage for rings being seated. I’ve got 21k and have changed my own oil for the entire life of the vehicle (x4). Always used Castrol edge full sun 0w20. but I have a relatively light foot until recently. Maybe combo of extended pro M1 and heavy foot helped the rings seat this late?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,428 Posts
Not sure I’d count mine as low mileage for rings being seated. I’ve got 21k and have changed my own oil for the entire life of the vehicle (x4). Always used Castrol edge full sun 0w20. but I have a relatively light foot until recently. Maybe combo of extended pro M1 and heavy foot helped the rings seat this late?
After 21k miles probably safe to say that the rings were seated. Not sure how automated the engine assembly process is but there's always the chance that a ring gets installed backwards or the splits aren't set opposite each other but the effects of those mistakes usually are very visible pretty quickly (like very fouled plugs).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Update: at about 1100 miles, still no noticeable fuel smell, but I do smell this oil smell that is strong. If the PCV is part Of a closed system and it’s busted, maybe im smelling that, and previously the sump was collecting a lot of fuel? Now I just smell oil.

Not sure what fixed the fuel issue. M1 extended performance 0w20 and flooring it quite a bit seeems to have fixed it. The other piece is the change in weather. It’s warmer now. I change at 3-4k so we’ll see what the oil smells like in the pan.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Update: at about 1100 miles, still no noticeable fuel smell, but I do smell this oil smell that is strong. If the PCV is part Of a closed system and it’s busted, maybe im smelling that, and previously the sump was collecting a lot of fuel? Now I just smell oil.

Not sure what fixed the fuel issue. M1 extended performance 0w20 and flooring it quite a bit seeems to have fixed it. The other piece is the change in weather. It’s warmer now. I change at 3-4k so we’ll see what the oil smells like in the pan.
I smell a strong oil smell as well after driving it and smelling around the front of the car or (especially) opening the hood and sniffing. Oil doesn't smell strongly of gas any more (I've got about 1,100 miles too) and has only risen a wee bit (not the 1/4 inches it was doing before in 300 miles)

I'm wondering of the oil smell is actually a rubber or plastic smell from a hose. I know Jeep and Ram products has a very strong smell from their coolant hoses that many people found unpleasant. Or maybe it's the PCV system, like pork chop said, that is seeping oil smells out a crack or out through an inferior hose?

who knows

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
127 Posts
I smell a strong oil smell as well after driving it and smelling around the front of the car or (especially) opening the hood and sniffing. Oil doesn't smell strongly of gas any more (I've got about 1,100 miles too) and has only risen a wee bit (not the 1/4 inches it was doing before in 300 miles)

I'm wondering of the oil smell is actually a rubber or plastic smell from a hose. I know Jeep and Ram products has a very strong smell from their coolant hoses that many people found unpleasant. Or maybe it's the PCV system, like pork chop said, that is seeping oil smells out a crack or out through an inferior hose?

who knows
First place I would check is to see if the oil filter is tightened properly. Easy to check on the new Subies. Up front and on top. Ditto for the fill cap and verify the dipstick is fully seated. Checking simple stuff first usually pays dividends.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
First place I would check is to see if the oil filter is tightened properly. Easy to check on the new Subies. Up front and on top. Ditto for the fill cap and verify the dipstick is fully seated. Checking simple stuff first usually pays dividends.
All mine are seated and tight. This is an ongoing smell that I’ve had since new. With multiple oil changes inbetween.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All mine are seated and tight. This is an ongoing smell that I’ve had since new. With multiple oil changes inbetween.
I have an oil smell in the garage that lingers for an hour after parking the Ascent with a hot engine. My previous 2020 WRX 2.0DIT smelled exactly the same as does my current 2021 WRX STI EJ257. I think it's the nature of the beast with the boxer engine (odds are all three of my cars, with three different boxer engines, can't possibly be plagued with the same problem).

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
699 Posts
I have the same. There was an early thread in the forum that referenced a turbo exhaust gasket. I've been meaning to pull that up and see if that coincides with my issue.

At first I felt it was a fuel smell, but after experiencing it more I think it may be an exhaust smell, possibly at a point where the ecu is calling for a rich mixture. One way or another, I smell something and it comes into the cabin unless I have recirc off.

Edit:
Here is is

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
I have the same. There was an early thread in the forum that referenced a turbo exhaust gasket. I've been meaning to pull that up and see if that coincides with my issue.

At first I felt it was a fuel smell, but after experiencing it more I think it may be an exhaust smell, possibly at a point where the ecu is calling for a rich mixture. One way or another, I smell something and it comes into the cabin unless I have recirc off.

Edit:
Here is is
Mine isn't necessarily when it's running. It's more like Mike//K where it lingers in the garage for hours after being shut off. I know what raw exhaust smells like and mine's definitely not that. I wouldn't call it a raw fuel smell wither. Smells most similar to hot PCV/hot oil smell

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 19 that has been pretty decent up until now (55K). Started out on a trip to FL from MO a month ago and the trans started to slip and the gas mileage dropped to 14mpg. Subaru replaced the trans but as I was checking it out before taking it in I noticed the gassy oil. We had the oil changed just before trying to leave. Now, the oil level is at the max mark. The dealer thought it was the 'winter' fuel mix and that it was not an issue.

Not sure if its now our paranoia but we think it smells hotter after her trip from work (20miles). Last night the catalytic converter or heat shield was rattling (a lot) which it hasn't done since new. The temp gauge is running about 1/2 when it normally runs under half. This is a great car but I'm not sure I can trust it beyond the drive train warranty. We do not smell gas in the cabin or in the garage.

Just to confirm...this problem is not fixable? Is it going to damage the engine?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Our Ascent now has 5500 miles. I had the 'free' oil change done early before we headed west for the winter. Didn't want to do it out here. I think I posted on this thread that right after the dealer change I was about 1/4 inch over the top line?

We drove the 2100 highway miles out here and it was still roughly in the same spot. 766 'town/short trip' miles later, I checked it before heading home next week. It's a good 3/8" above where it was when we got out here...not too far below the dip stick twist. It can only be one of two things. Water or gas. It's not water. I can't really smell the gas, but I've been known not to do well in that area. I'll be curious where it's at after our 2600 mile ride home which will include the Rockies.
One wonders if Subaru recommends changing synthetic oil at 6000 miles due to known fuel contamination?

On a separate note, we're very satisfied with the Ascent! I can only think of two minor things and one a little more important I don't like.

The darn volume control has zero reason to do what it does :(
I wish the sunroof was a stand alone adder. We don't ever use them and to me it's just another huge perforation in the sheet metal and has to add to interior noise. It also can be problematic for other issues, including leaks.

You should be able to have front sonar without buying the most expensive package. We've had several vehicles with it as part of a mid level safety suite.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,428 Posts
I wish the sunroof was a stand alone adder. We don't ever use them and to me it's just another huge perforation in the sheet metal and has to add to interior noise. It also can be problematic for other issues, including leaks.
Every car I've bought since 1982 has had a power sunroof/moon roof and they get opened about twice in the time I own the cars. Once when the salesman opens it on the delivery check list and again when I sell the car (just did it for the car I'm selling to a neighbor). I have no use for extra holes in my cars either.

You should be able to have front sonar without buying the most expensive package. We've had several vehicles with it as part of a mid level safety suite.
Camera only on Ascent and it's not automatic like the comparable 3 rows.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Every car I've bought since 1982 has had a power sunroof/moon roof and they get opened about twice in the time I own the cars. Once when the salesman opens it on the delivery check list and again when I sell the car (just did it for the car I'm selling to a neighbor). I have no use for extra holes in my cars either.
Camera only on Ascent and it's not automatic like the comparable 3 rows.

Both GM and Chrysler let you option the sun roof only the last quite a few years....We did it.

That's an error in options IMHO. I don't need a camera in front, just the sonar. I don't understand why that couldn't be done? Seems common enough.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yep. A major reason I got Premium, no sunroof and 18" wheels. I didn't want either and I certainly didn't want to pay for them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yep. A major reason I got Premium, no sunroof and 18" wheels. I didn't want either and I certainly didn't want to pay for them.
Our buy wasn't optional last November. (theres a car story to go with this posted under new rides) It was the only one available and a take it or leave it deal.

Went to the dealer after dropping off our broken 2017 Honda truck...one Ascent was coming in later that day. I asked for dibbs. Drove it 10 miles the next day and bought it a couple hours later. Never had one before, but know many with Subarus...probably the largest volume foreign brand in our area since the early 70s

It had been ordered from the dealer with Option 23 and package 2A The only part of the package I didn't like was the sunroof.

·
Registered
68 Posts
An update on my ongoing oil experiment.

Today, I noted the oil level dropped on the dipstick. Last oil change was the first week of March 2022 by the dealership and the tech overfilled the oil by 1/4-inch. I'm now 4000 miles since that March oil change and the oil level is exactly at the max fill indicator and therefore decreased 1/4-inch. I'm used to turbo engines burning oil and see this decrease on the dipstick as a positive thing.

For reference, I quoted my own post back in February 2022 explaining the nature of the experiment.

Some positive news. My oil level decreased.

As an experiment, I changed the way I used my Ascent over the past two weeks. At the start of the experiment, oil level on the dipstick was roughly 1" over the max fill indicator. As of last night, the oil level on the dipstick now reads 1/2" above max fill (a decrease of 1/2"). I feel this is a significant change.

My driving habits are worst-case for any vehicle: short trips (6-miles), cold weather (average 20F), slow traffic. In response, I plan to change my oil every 3,000 miles.

The experiment consisted of prioritizing oil temperature over interior comfort. For the past two weeks, I head-out with the kids for the drive to school and work (30-minutes, 6-miles). I don't warm-up the car, I start driving within 30-seconds of starting the engine. From home I drive 3-miles with the interior heat set at 70F, drop off the kids, turn off the HVAC completely, drive 3-miles to work. Oil temperature at my destination will be 181F-194F depending on the weather.

Yes, it's odd that I'm disabling interior heat but I wanted to prove to myself the car was capable of evaporating fuel entering the oil pan if it hit full operating temperature. For my short commute, which may get even shorter, this may be the sacrifice I need to make, along with 3,000 mile oil changes. The experiment will continue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
See post #233 above first.

We now have 7823 miles on our new 22 Ascent, having just home from our winter digs out west. The run home was about 2500 miles. The oil level now is 1/2" above full. It's a little lower than we started last week per #233 above. It's roughly half way between the full mark and the twist in the dipstick...meaning it either used a little oil or maybe it burned off?

221 - 240 of 244 Posts