Subaru Ascent Forum banner
201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Never knew about the timing chain wear.
I'm pretty sure that any engine can suffer from timing chain wear if the OCI's are too long (like the Honda's CRV's with the 2.4L (port injection motors). I'm not second-guessing this guy either, cause he's got a whiteboard and everything, but Diesels (categorically) have for a long time, with direct injection, not had any issues with timing chain wear...In theory, they suspend the particles in the oil the same way a gas direct injection motor does but without issue. I would be more concerned with fuel dilution and extended OCI's in modern direct injection motors. I think for most people. disregarding whatever the manufacturer suggests (they want to sell cars and 6k or 10k OCI's is very appealing to the customer) and going with something reasonable like 3-5k. Think of the GMC's and HOnda's and Subaru that initially recommended higher OCI's and then reduced is as they saw major issues with their engines (timing chain stretch, oil consumption, etc)

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
127 Posts
I saw this on YouTube on direct injection engines. Among other things it briefly explains why fuel dilution is happening and why cold engines make it worse.

The takeaway for me is to eschew Subaru's recommended oil change intervals and change more frequently. Every 3K, or less. Oil and filters are WAY cheaper than a blown turbo or timing chain.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm pretty sure that any engine can suffer from timing chain wear if the OCI's are too long (like the Honda's CRV's with the 2.4L (port injection motors). I'm not second-guessing this guy either, cause he's got a whiteboard and everything, but Diesels (categorically) have for a long time, with direct injection, not had any issues with timing chain wear...In theory, they suspend the particles in the oil the same way a gas direct injection motor does but without issue. I would be more concerned with fuel dilution and extended OCI's in modern direct injection motors. I think for most people. disregarding whatever the manufacturer suggests (they want to sell cars and 6k or 10k OCI's is very appealing to the customer) and going with something reasonable like 3-5k. Think of the GMC's and HOnda's and Subaru that initially recommended higher OCI's and then reduced is as they saw major issues with their engines (timing chain stretch, oil consumption, etc)
Kerosene is a better lubricant than gasoline as well.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
Subaru please bring back 3.6R. I miss it 😢
Not going to happen most likely. Less powerful, likely even worse fuel economy with the Ascent. There's been lots of discussion about this over the past three years.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not going to happen most likely. Less powerful, likely even worse fuel economy with the Ascent. There's been lots of discussion about this over the past three years.
We are the pioneers with this engine.

As a sage once told me: "It's easy to spot the pioneers. They are the ones with arrows in their backs."

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
True, Joe Moma, but the Outback/Legacy folks already joined the party, too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Switched to M1 extended protection 0w20. Floored It quite a few times.A couple days later I drove the Kids to school. After getting back to the house, sat there idling and without recirc and couldn’t smell a thing. stopped the car and went to the bay and sniffed around. Nothing but hot engine smells. No gas. Will update.

Usually it shows up after driving and while idling. will park in garage next time. It fills up with the smells in there after a drive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Switched to M1 extended protection 0w20. Floored It quite a few times.A couple days later I drove the Kids to school. After getting back to the house, sat there idling and without recirc and couldn’t smell a thing. stopped the car and went to the bay and sniffed around. Nothing but hot engine smells. No gas. Will update.

Usually it shows up after driving and while idling. will park in garage next time. It fills up with the smells in there after a drive.
Seems like it usually takes about 300 miles for me to notice a rise on the dipstick. But I’m at about 600 miles and there’s nothing. Oil smells like oil for once is this car’s life!! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My oil increase seems to happen later than most here. I seem to notice it more around 2K miles. I was hopeful it wouldn't re-occur with my most recent oil change, but I checked it last week and it's about 1/4" over again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After 25 minutes of warming the car up and dropping one of my kids off at school, it got up to 180. It was stored in the garage overnight and was only in the 40s. Heat was set to 74 and low fan. I had to take the other kids after this and finally got up 190 after a little over 30 minutes and a few more miles.
I had no idea this was an option, I'm going to have to set this up next time I'm in the wife's car and hope she doesn't kill me for changing the display. I've been away from the thread for a while and just came back but I've been keeping an eye on the engine temps after I read the thermostat hypothesis. My wife's Ascent has been getting up to normal operating temp just fine especially since we're in Central Texas where we don't normally get below freezing but still get that fuel smell pretty much every time the car is driven. Still haven't got ahold of the dealer since the car shortage means we still really can't be without a car again without a loaner unless I wait for Spring Break.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It was $34 postage paid both ways. I thought that was reasonable in my situation considering all the drama and potentially shortened engine life with all the gas in there .At least then it's on record with both SOA and my dealer if it fails. Here's a link to the company I used:

I take it you are doing your own oil change to get the oil for the oil analysis?
That link is anemic on details but I imagine taking a sample from the oil pan is the only accurate method since you're not going to be able to get much out of the dipstick. I doubt the Subaru service dept would let me back there to get a sample next oil change because I really don't miss the days of changing my own oil :LOL:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I take it you are doing your own oil change to get the oil for the oil analysis?
That link is anemic on details but I imagine taking a sample from the oil pan is the only accurate method since you're not going to be able to get much out of the dipstick. I doubt the Subaru service dept would let me back there to get a sample next oil change because I really don't miss the days of changing my own oil :LOL:
From the Amsoil site. I have one and they work great. No mess. Hose goes down the dipstick tube and pumps directly into the sample container.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Yes I dropped my own oil to get the sample. I’m in the auto industry so that just a regular part of my daily life. I actually have the opposite problem...I have a hard time trusting others with my oil change lol

201 - 220 of 244 Posts