Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read every single forum I can find but haven't found a solution. I bought a new 2022 Ascent and noticed a gas smell in the garage a couple hundred miles into ownership. I narrowed it down to the oil dipstick which reeked of gas and was overfilled by about an inch (all my measurements have been taken cold/overnight in the garage which is level). I continued to watch is rise as we continued to drive it to 600 miles at which point it was at the twisty part of the dipstick. I drained and filled the oil and brought it to a perfectly level with the full mark on the dipstick. I was in contact with the dealer I bought it from at this point. They recommend letting them know if it continued to rise. It did.

I brought it in at about 1,100 miles at the service manager came out and took a look and sniff and said "that's not right" and said he would order and install a High pressure fuel injection pump. They also claimed they had never seen this before.

A month later they gave it back to me and said they don't know what else to do. They said to drive it and monitor oil level...which rises on the dipstick about 1/4 inch ever 100 miles.

I see others have this issue and wonder if there's ANYONE ANYWHERE that has any idea what's going on!

We love the car, but don't feel comfortable driving it cross country or doing longer trips with it. Also, I'm not interested in doing oil changes every 500 miles!

Help!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,434 Posts
I've complained about the oil rising on the dipstick and the fuel odor in my garage. Dealer blamed overfills from the factory and first change that they did so on the next change I made them witness the correct level and write it up before I left the lot. Haven't checked since. Any additional "oil" is definitely fuel unless Subaru has built a fuel generating engine. They blamed the garage odor on the periodic pressure purge of the fuel vapor return (I thought the closed fuel system was supposed to keep unburned hc's from being released to the atmosphere.) Strange how none of the cars or the boat that have occupied the garage for the last 28 years have ever made the garage stink. Dealer also claimed they've never had any similar issues brought to their attention. Will be going to a different dealer next time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on yours now?

It’s interesting that they haven’t come out with a fix for it. But I guess that Honda’s with the 1.5 direct injection turbo had the same problem and it took them years to figure out it was injectors. So I guess for those of us who experience this we just have to either wait for the engine to blow or buy a different car? Seems unreasonable.I would worry about long term reliability as oil is a lubricant and gas is a solvent.
Anyone else have Any solutions??

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
127 Posts
I've read every single forum I can find but haven't found a solution. I bought a new 2022 Ascent and noticed a gas smell in the garage a couple hundred miles into ownership. I narrowed it down to the oil dipstick which reeked of gas and was overfilled by about an inch (all my measurements have been taken cold/overnight in the garage which is level). I continued to watch is rise as we continued to drive it to 600 miles at which point it was at the twisty part of the dipstick. I drained and filled the oil and brought it to a perfectly level with the full mark on the dipstick. I was in contact with the dealer I bought it from at this point. They recommend letting them know if it continued to rise. It did.

I brought it in at about 1,100 miles at the service manager came out and took a look and sniff and said "that's not right" and said he would order and install a High pressure fuel injection pump. They also claimed they had never seen this before.

A month later they gave it back to me and said they don't know what else to do. They said to drive it and monitor oil level...which rises on the dipstick about 1/4 inch ever 100 miles.

I see others have this issue and wonder if there's ANYONE ANYWHERE that has any idea what's going on!

We love the car, but don't feel comfortable driving it cross country or doing longer trips with it. Also, I'm not interested in doing oil changes every 500 miles!

Help!
I was in your shoes with my 2021 Limited last year. My solution: The dealer changed the oil (0w-20) at 500 miles. I had the dealer install a Fumoto valve in the drain at that time. At 1000 miles the oil was again about 1/2 inch above full and smelled of gas, just as before. . I changed the oil to 5w-20. Ran that for another 750 miles (no rise in oil), then changed back to 0w-20. Did a road trip from Denver to Phoenix and back. Changed again at 5000 miles, no increase in the oil level. Been running that fill ever since (at 7000+ currently). Be patient. These engines really don't break-in until 5000. Good luck. Wix filters and Valvoline Full Synthetic used, BTW.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you think it might have to do with piston rings seating in? And that it just requires time to break in so that fuel doesn’t bypass the rings?

I did run 5w30 from the 600 mile oil change to 5w30Liqui moly and it kept rising.

so your oil stopped rising after how many miles?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
127 Posts
So you think it might have to do with piston rings seating in? And that it just requires time to break in so that fuel doesn’t bypass the rings?

I did run 5w30 from the 600 mile oil change to 5w30Liqui moly and it kept rising.

so your oil stopped rising after how many miles?
Unknown why it stopped rising. It just did.

Somewhere between 1200 and 1750 I'd say.

I do make it a habit now to warm up the vehicle in the morning for at least a few minutes before leaving. Mine ran/runs very rich when cold.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There’s several threads on here in the topic. Personally, I checked mine fairly often for about 1,200-1,500 miles and it didn’t seem to be moving so I stopped. Somewhere around 5k I checked again and it was like 1/2” or so above the max.

Changed the oil around 5,800 (now at 7k); will check the oil level again when I replace the engine filter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m also in a cold climate where we see negative temps often in the winter (Minnesota: think like -20f quite often)
Wonder if the xtreme cold has something to do with it like the Honda 1.5’s? Maybe if I keep it long enough it’ll go away this summer. I just feel frustrated that Subaru calls this normal and want to go buy a Sienna or something.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2020 Limited here. Been having this issue since 2k. Moved to a new house around 10k and began parking in the garage and noticed the smell. Before I just noticed the overfill.

Been changing my own oil ever since to ensure it’s filled half way up the fill line to allow for injector dumping. Also change at 3k to avoid wear. Been following the forums for a long time waiting for a recall that would address this or someone to have a revelation. One thing I found in the outback forums was someone with an XT (2.4t) switching to 5w-30 and claiming to resolve the issue. I may go this route on my next oil change.

I just always have recirc on and don’t notice as much.but I know there is a problem. I signed up just to get in on this thread…. I’ve read all the others. I miss my 2019 3.6r.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had this issue on my 19 Ascent. Finally after dealership draining and refilling oil after 3 times, contacted Subaru to file complaint. They sent a Rep to dealership to check out. Found high pressure fuel injection pump leaking which is located inside the engine somewhere. Replace with brand new pump. Stopped the problem 100%. Subaru sent me a check for $500 and a nice cooler for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
136 Posts
New owner here, 2022 Ascent, with around 150 total miles - thanks to not having the commute and working from home right now. Mostly suburban driving with one stint on the highway and then some idling due to doing some checking out the Infotainment and other settings while sitting in a cold car.
Checked the oil the day after we brought it home two weeks ago and the oil level was at the top of the two holes in the dipstick.
Will keep an eye on this oil level. I too have been keeping an eye on the other threads about this.
We have a 3.6R Outback Limited and i have not seen that issue with it. I do prefer it's engine tone/noise to the 4 cylinder turbo in the Ascent.

·
Administrator
11,950 Posts
SOOOOO....

Interestingly, my oil level is high, for the very first time ever in 87,000 miles. I am a few dozen miles away from my next oil change. There are two differences this oil change cycle:
  1. I have been doing almost exclusively short distance driving (2.5 miles twice to four times a day).

2. I did not have my tires rotated this last oil change, meaning just an oil change with no wait between drain and fill.

Is it one of those that contributed, or both? I don't know. I need to continue to do my own tire rotations, because I am doing five tire (and they won't because of how I have things mounted - and I don't blame them).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting.
SOOOOO....

Interestingly, my oil level is high, for the very first time ever in 87,000 miles. I am a few dozen miles away from my next oil change. There are two differences this oil change cycle:
  1. I have been doing almost exclusively short distance driving (2.5 miles twice to four times a day).

2. I did not have my tires rotated this last oil change, meaning just an oil change with no wait between drain and fill.

Is it one of those that contributed, or both? I don't know. I need to continue to do my own tire rotations, because I am doing five tire (and they won't because of how I have things mounted - and I don't blame them).
Interesting. I would think it’s more likely the short trips. I guess I don’t really want to own a car that has be taken on the freeway once a week. I’ve owned dozen of cars and never had to take one out to romp on the freeway for an hour a week.
I might be back to my original idea that in cold climates, the ascent is not suitable.

Is there anyone that can chime in that lives in the cold climates of mn, wi etc that does short trips and Doesn’t have issue with fuel dilution??

·
Administrator
11,950 Posts
I might be back to my original idea that in cold climates, the ascent is not suitable.
It's not the cold climates. I used to spend a lot of time in the cold climates on adventures, and it's often decently cold here (in the 20's or below for 3/4 of the ten day cycle I'm currently in). Never had any problems in the cold, right down to -8° through 30's.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Interesting. I would think it’s more likely the short trips.
I am not too sure about that, and I will be testing that soon as I get my own Fumoto valve to do my own oil changes. The reason being, a number of people have reported high oil levels in a day of oil changes - I've had plenty of oil changes where the car didn't really go anywhere for a few days, and never experienced high oil. Maybe something has changed, I don't know... but I do intend to find out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not the cold climates. I used to spend a lot of time in the cold climates on adventures, and it's often decently cold here (in the 20's or below for 3/4 of the ten day cycle I'm currently in). Never had any problems in the cold, right down to -8° through 30's.

View attachment 15292

I am not too sure about that, and I will be testing that soon as I get my own Fumoto valve to do my own oil changes. The reason being, a number of people have reported high oil levels in a day of oil changes - I've had plenty of oil changes where the car didn't really go anywhere for a few days, and never experienced high oil. Maybe something has changed, I don't know... but I do intend to find out.
I noticed that it’s hard to get the oil level perfect when I did my own oil change. But I sucked extra out until it was perfectly level with the full mark. Then watched over the next 400 miles as it went up and up and up to the twist part of the dipstick again. I just wish there was an easy answer. I want to love this car and bought it for it’s safety and reliability.

I did contact Subaru of America about the issue before after my local dealer was unable to help and they referred me to the dealer to figure it out. Just feel lost. This was my first brand new car and was hoping for 100k of reliable use

·
Registered
150 Posts
We have 4500 miles on our new Ascent. Brand new, the oil level was about .5 inches below the kink in the dipstick. I had the oil changed at 2000 miles before our long trip. (we got one free change and there no Subaru dealers within a few hours of here) The oil was about 1/4" over the full mark after the oil change. 2500 miles and 3 weeks later it's in the same place. I'll continue to monitor. Much of the driving here will be very short trips. My 1st fill up showed 11.5 mpg. We'll probably only have 2 or 3 fill ups till May out here. ...meaning we'll have much of the short duration mileage being discussed here now

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,434 Posts
Starting to wonder if some of the horizontal oil runners alternately take on air or don't drain fully affecting the readings. Of course this isn't the case for those who have had analysis showing fuel dilution.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,434 Posts
BTW, one of the top mechanics here in central Florida won't put 0w-x oil in anything. I don't think the Subaru dealer will put anything else but 0w but I might try 5w-x down the line.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts