Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Ascent for a couple of weeks now and finally got around to checking the oil level. To my surprise, it seems to be a bit above the top fill indicator (less than 1/4 inch). I'd be curious to hear if others have noticed this and whether or not I should be concerned.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've had my Ascent for a couple of weeks now and finally got around to checking the oil level. To my surprise, it seems to be a bit above the top fill indicator (less than 1/4 inch). I'd be curious to hear if others have noticed this and whether or not I should be concerned.
You know I opened the hood but never checked the oil levels. I believe that small amount over won't matter but it would be curious to know if that is normal for when they are shipped.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You know I opened the hood but never checked the oil levels. I believe that small amount over won't matter but it would be curious to know if that is normal for when they are shipped.
Yup, mine is about 1/8" over, not concerned.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I would assume it's because brand new it will burn more oil. The manual even mentions that for the break in period.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought a Legacy 4/8/2018 and it was overfilled about a 1/4 inch on the dipstick. Got my Ascent on 7/5/2018 and it was overfilled by the same amount. Maybe the inverted oil filter is draining back to the pan to account for the difference. I'm going to check the oil level a couple minutes after shutdown to see if there is a difference verses checking after sitting overnight.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The most important thing is to check the oil level at 500-1000 miles and see if it is going down.
Agreed. For the first 1k-2k miles, oil will burn off and sloooooowly fill all the little gaps a cervices in the block. Don't worry, all is well.

If the oil was over full, believe me, you would know by the dark black exhaust you would be pumping out.

Reactions: Carl Abrams

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil level too high

When I took delivery of my Ascent the oil level was about 1/4 inch high. At 1000 miles it had increased to 1/2 inch too high and the dealer changed the oil to get back to just full. Now at 2000 miles it has increased a 1/4 inch again. The loaner I got had 2800 miles and was also 1/2 inch over full. Is anyone concerned about oil dilution?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not to ask a silly question, when you check the oil do you look at both sides of the dip stick. One side will sometimes pick up a little oil from the dip stick tube and read high. Should look at both sides and go with the lower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our Ascent is confirmed by Subaru engineer to have oil dilution. We were smelling gas in our garage , took it in to dealer and they find gas in the oil pan. SUBARU engineer on site, orders them to change the oil and continue testing. They have kept the vehicle and gave us a loaner. Engineer returning in a week to try and attempt a cause and resolution. As far as I'm concerned, the engine and turbo have already been compromised by lack of proper lubrication. Its performance had also progressively been getting worse.

·
Registered
561 Posts
All cars are designed to accept an overfill. I'm thinking the ascent could take up to 1/2qt before it becomes an issue where the oil starts foaming. Now i'm not sure on how this would affect the PVC system of the long haul on this model. But i've overfilled my work trucks for years and have had no issues...like to extend the service of the oil changes. These can take almost an extra qt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our Ascent is confirmed by Subaru engineer to have oil dilution. We were smelling gas in our garage , took it in to dealer and they find gas in the oil pan. SUBARU engineer on site, orders them to change the oil and continue testing. They have kept the vehicle and gave us a loaner. Engineer returning in a week to try and attempt a cause and resolution. As far as I'm concerned, the engine and turbo have already been
compromised by lack of proper lubrication. Its performance had also progressively been getting worse.
Update: our Ascent has now entered its 4th overall week at the dealership. They did give it back to us on Feb 25th without a resolution for the oil dilution. We drove it two days almost until the CEL and all safety feature lights came on in the dash. The gas/oil smell was still occurring too and coming through the vents. Dealer advised to return the car to them where it has remained. Have a case entered with SOA , waiting on a resolution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: our Ascent has now entered its 4th overall week at the dealership. They did give it back to us on Feb 25th without a resolution for the oil dilution. We drove it two days almost until the CEL and all safety feature lights came on in the dash. The gas/oil smell was still occurring too and coming through the vents. Dealer advised to return the car to them where it has remained. Have a case entered with SOA , waiting on a resolution.
Any update ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 19 Ascent was in the Dealership 2 times for this overfill problem. The 2nd time they kept it for 3 weeks and did several tests. Gave me a nice new one as a loaner for the entire time. They worked with SOA on this issue and finally replace the fuel injector pump. The car had less than 800 miles on it. So far seems to have remedied this issue but I'm keeping a check on it regularly and so far at 1200 miles now has stayed right on level mark. I check the oil in the mornings when it's set overnight and completely cold. SOA was very good to work with and Dealership was great also. I also have an 18 Outback with 2.5 engine and has not had this problem so it seems to me it's only on the Ascent engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our experience has been not nearly as positive. SOA has provided no value. The dealer told us it's a known problem with the turbo, that with short drives it's not burning off. We continue to have issues with gas smells, but the dealer can't replicate (not trying very hard or listening, they keep thinking it's a leak). They are ill prepared and simply not understanding. We keep getting the run around. We had confirmed gas/oil mix at 1800 miles with overfill.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts