Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Being a first-time Subaru owner, I have no idea if this is normal. When parked overnight and I enter my garage from the house, where my Ascent is parked, I note a distinct oil/gas odor emanating from under the hood of this car. Now, it's not that significant and I don't see any evidence of oil leaks from above (haven't checked below). Checking and smelling the oil on the dipstick, I can pick up a hint of gas odor in the oil. I wonder if this is normal for boxer engines or if this is something I should have looked at.

Thanks!

· Registered
21 Posts
I'm doing my first oil change and I have a hint of gas smell in the oil. Going to take it to dealer next week when I'm off to talk to the advisors.

No leaks but never had the smell on my other cars even first oil change.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
Not the same oil

I'm doing my first oil change and I have a hint of gas smell in the oil. Going to take it to dealer next week when I'm off to talk to the advisors.

No leaks but never had the smell on my other cars even first oil change.
The oil in your car is not normal oil, in the sense that it is not what's going to be put in ever again. It's break in oil that does not smell quite the same. Some gas is likely to slip into the oil during the break in period, which is fine.

· Registered
64 Posts
Hello,

Being a first-time Subaru owner, I have no idea if this is normal. When parked overnight and I enter my garage from the house, where my Ascent is parked, I note a distinct oil/gas odor emanating from under the hood of this car. Now, it's not that significant and I don't see any evidence of oil leaks from above (haven't checked below). Checking and smelling the oil on the dipstick, I can pick up a hint of gas odor in the oil. I wonder if this is normal for boxer engines or if this is something I should have looked at.

Thanks!
Hi,
I have very similar issue. Got my Ascent yesterday (new with 12km on odo) and the whole day this oil burning smell follows me. It is not like regular motor oil burning, but more like a sewing machine oil. Drove around 100km. Smell is still there. I am assuming this is oil film cover from the turbine and exhaust plumbing and maybe some internal parts - e.g. expect it to end soon...

Is it a break-in period specific?

bverant, is it still there in your case? Did you go to subaru?

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
Hi,
I have very similar issue. Got my Ascent yesterday (new with 12km on odo) and the whole day this oil burning smell follows me. It is not like regular motor oil burning, but more like a sewing machine oil. Drove around 100km. Smell is still there. I am assuming this is oil film cover from the turbine and exhaust plumbing and maybe some internal parts - e.g. expect it to end soon...

Is it a break-in period specific?

bverant, is it still there in your case? Did you go to subaru?
He no longer has a Subaru.

Yes, it's normal as you burn off coatings.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He no longer has a Subaru.

It is true: I no longer own an Ascent. However, when I did, I reported that odor to the service department and they believed it was some of the coatings on the exhaust components that were burning off and it should go away after a few thousand miles.

· Registered
965 Posts
The wonderful smell is also more prevalent on the imported cars. You'll smell it on new cars from Indiana, but go test drive a Forester or Crosstrek that's fresh off the truck. Especially in cold weather. Gives you a whole new appreciation of 'new car smell'. :tango_face_surprise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.