Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a Subaru thing... I’m used to the oil filter being located on the bottom of the engine. The Ascent’s is on top, near the coolant resevoir.

Does Subaru always have the oil filter on top?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Maybe a Subaru thing... I’m used to the oil filter being located on the bottom of the engine. The Ascent’s is on top, near the coolant resevoir.

Does Subaru always have the oil filter on top?
My last two Foresters had it on top, I think they started about 2015 or 16. Super nice.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is the first car I've had with the filter up top but I've read that it makes oil changes super easy. Going to the be pretty nervous the first time not knowing where the oil flows.

·
Registered
598 Posts
This is the first car I've had with the filter up top but I've read that it makes oil changes super easy. Going to the be pretty nervous the first time not knowing where the oil flows.
Makes changing oil a breeze. So long as you’ve drained from below fully there is hardly any mess up top at the filter. A quick wipe down of the tray it sits in and twist on new one and away you go!

·
Registered
233 Posts
FA engine has the oil filter on top (i.e FA20DIT in 2015+ WRX's, 2014+ Forester XT's) and now the new FA24DIT engine in 2019 Ascent's
The FB20/FB25 engines also have the oil filter on top (2012+ Impreza, 2011+ Forester, 2013+ Legacy / Outback, 2013+ Crosstrek). All BRZ's also have the top mounted oil filter on its FA20 engine.

Reactions: Jason

·
Registered
411 Posts
I doubt the H6 will ever come back. I am surprised the new STI's are running such an old engine while the WRX is on the FA20F. You would think they would move to DI already. Who knows, maybe the FA24 (or FA25? lol) will go into the 2020 WRX STI

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think they've kept the old 2.5 in the STI because they get raced. The durability and weak points of that engine are known. I'm sure they wanted to get a few years of people tuning the FA and FB motors to see how they hold up and see what breaks. Once they've been in the field for a few years they have better data on reliability.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.