Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't qualify for the VA, most don't, so it's the new normal rigamarole for me. When I lived in NY up to 2002, I had had doctors that were old school. I moved to Iowa and the practices were bigger, but I still just dealt with one doctor for the most part. After moving to AZ, I found that the assembly line is in full bloom and the doctors here aren't as good as IA or NY. Sometimes I wonder if having a lot of retirees foments a lackadaisical attitude, which is to say, they work in god's waiting room, so what's the hurry? The doctor I had in NY went to NYU and did his residency at Bellevue, so he knew his stuff. Some of the doctors I've met here wouldn't be his nursing assistant. I could do better than some with a Merck Manual, PDR and scripts. </rant>
If you get good medicine at the VA, cool. Hopefully it stays that way.
Marcus Welby, MD (remember that show?) retired a long time ago. Insurance bean counters and hospital admins are running the show now in most instances. I don't envy today's medical professionals who have to slog through the paperwork just to Rx an aspirin. I'm not sure what the answer is, I have friends in Canada's "free healthcare system" who aren't happy about waiting 6 months for an MRI in a non-emergent situation.

Enuf, I'm getting too far off topic.

· Registered
1 Posts
I took the car in today (2022 Onyx) for the "free" oil change (2 yr free maintenance offer). The "express" service took about 3 hours, and on the way home I smelled oil at a stoplight. I thought it was the car next to me, but when I got home I smelled it again. Long story short, they left the filler cap off and it puked oil all over the engine. They are on their way now with a loaner Outback and to pick up the Ascent to clean and detail the engine bay and front suspension. They will bring it back when done. Not a good day, and I always check the dipstick after an oil change at any shop. I did that today but who would have thought to confirm that the grease monkey replaced the filler cap? I will from now on. It could have been really bad if I had immediately hoped on the turnpike to begin a 800 mile drive, I'm sure it would have puked out all the oil and toasted the engine. Rant over, just be sure to check both the dipstick and the filler cap. I usually do my own oil service, but since it is "free" I took it to the dealer. View attachment 18182
I am in the process of dealing with the exact same thing happen yesterday, Sept 28th in Roswell GA Had to wait while they picked it up with a tow truck it is supposed to be ready **** and span and delivered back to the house this morning. It was a complete mess and sounds like the exact same story right down to the Outback loaner

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am in the process of dealing with the exact same thing happen yesterday, Sept 28th in Roswell GA Had to wait while they picked it up with a tow truck it is supposed to be ready **** and span and delivered back to the house this morning. It was a complete mess and sounds like the exact same story right down to the Outback loaner
Sad story, exactly the same except no tow truck for mine. They sent a tech in the Outback with a gallon of oil and a gallon of brake cleaner (to clean the mess on my nearly new driveway) :mad: . After confirming sufficient oil in the crankcase, he drove the Ascent back to the shop for detailing and a second oil & filter service. It was returned the next day and the loaner was collected.

On the positive side, the F^^-up didn't occur during open heart surgery.

· Registered
150 Posts
Three possibilities up front: Incompetence, dope smoking or they rush their people to make time with flat rate and mistakes happen. Business folks can be so wrapped into productivity that qualtity never enters the picture. It's all about spreadsheets and KPIs.

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Three possibilities up front: Incompetence, dope smoking or they rush their people to make time with flat rate and mistakes happen. Business folks can be so wrapped into productivity that qualtity never enters the picture. It's all about spreadsheets and KPIs.
In this case, I believe it was "rush" that caused the Cluster F**k. I called ahead and asked if this was a good time to bring it in for service and was told "yes, come on in", and I gave them my name, etc. When I arrived, they wrote it up and parked the car.....for over two hours....! When they finally got to it, the service advisor apologized saying "About 5 more cars came for Oil & Filter from the time I called to when I arrived, never mind that I called first.

I can imagine that the grease monkeys were flustered with so many cars clogging up the service bays, and buckled under the pressure. No excuse, just poor planning by management when you advertise an "Express Oil Service", and it takes over three hours, not counting the snafus.

· Registered
167 Posts
In this case, I believe it was "rush" that caused the Cluster F**k. I called ahead and asked if this was a good time to bring it in for service and was told "yes, come on in", and I gave them my name, etc. When I arrived, they wrote it up and parked the car.....for over two hours....! When they finally got to it, the service advisor apologized saying "About 5 more cars came for Oil & Filter from the time I called to when I arrived, never mind that I called first.

I can imagine that the grease monkeys were flustered with so many cars clogging up the service bays, and buckled under the pressure. No excuse, just poor planning by management when you advertise an "Express Oil Service", and it takes over three hours, not counting the snafus.
Also a lack of training and ownership of the process..

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
The vehicle was successfully repaired but I learned 4-5 owners had the same failed Blue Fram OEM oil filter that I had. I ordered 5 of the black Japanese OEM filters and insisted this be installed and got no opposition.
Is that what they told you?

· Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Is that what they told you?
This is the first time I've heard of a filter failing. Could have been a bad batch from a production line snafu. I wish they came with a larger filter (OEM), then you could just dump the whole 5-quart jug in at the oil change, and have more filter media surface as a bonus. The blue OEM seems tiny for a turbocharged engine with a 5 qt sump.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of a filter failing. Could have been a bad batch from a production line snafu. I wish they came with a larger filter (OEM), then you could just dump the whole 5-gallon jug in at the oil change, and have more filter media surface as a bonus. The blue OEM seems tiny for a turbocharged engine with a 5 qt sump.
More likely a Service Coordinator made it up. Such incidents DISGUST me.

That blue filter is fine. It's used in EVERY non-sports Subaru. If they were failing, it wouldn't be in just Ascents - it would be in all the Outbacks that borrowed the Ascent's engine, and all of the Outbacks from 2013 to now, all the Crosstreks ever made, all the Foresters from 2011 to now, all the Imprezas from 2012 to now, etc, etc.

To date, I've heard of NO such thing in any of the forums I frequent, or from any of my technician friends all over the country.

@[email protected] don't waste your money. And be wary of service coordinators who make up nonsense.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

· Registered
69 Posts
I just saw a notice on Facebook that dealers cannot get the Blue Fram/Honeywell filter and are substituting alternatives. Apparently a TSB was issued about the situation. One Subaru service advisor stated they were finding problems with the rubber on certain lots of the Blue OEM filters. My daughter had her 2014 Outback Premium in for an oil change at the dealer 2 weeks ago and they used an alternate to the Blue Filter.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
Yep, fortunately, Subaru caught it, and I am sure FRAM is being taken to task. We won't be seeing the Subaru blues again until they get it right.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
I have a blue filter on my two day old 2023. Is there any way to know what filters are affected? Is the TSB published?
I would not worry about a factory installed filter. But, if you are concerned, simply keep an eye for seepage at the base.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts