Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Credit to TSiWRX for posting this link in another thread:

2019 Subaru Ascent 7 passenger research webpage

I have a question about the information from the owner's manual about oil consumption. It seems they are saying adding oil is almost a given with "some oil will be consumed while driving". It then goes on to list conditions where additional oil would be consumed. I've got an Acura MDX V6 that is 12 years old and has 142k and I have never added a drop of oil to the car. I've never gone below full on the dipstick.

Are they listing oil consumption as a CYA to get people to check regularly, or do these engines actually burn oil? If so, I would have to cross off the list.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's a CYA.

In my experience with Subarus - 8 between my wife and I since 2005, of which 6 were force-fed, one a NA 2.5L H4 FB25 and one H6 EZ36 (you can also add four more FB25s, if you count my in-laws) - I have yet to see anything that's remotely considered excessive consumption. In the vast majority of cases, our vehicles failed to "consume" any engine lubricant over the course of their respective OCIs.

That said, some cars just tend to do better/worse one type of oil versus another. And by "some cars," I don't just mean Toyota versus Subaru or Honda versus Nissan. Nor do I mean any generalizations with build-platforms or even the specific powerplant. What I mean is the difference between your 2019 Subaru Ascent versus my 2019 Subaru Ascent versus the Subaru Ascent that's owned by my daughter's cousin's 7th grade English teacher's wife. ;) It's unique-to-vehicle, and sometimes even unique to the lubricant chosen.

For example:

Neither my wife's '05WRX or my '05 LGT (which I quickly took to the usual "Stage II" modification level) seemingly ever lost a drop of Mobil 1 full-synthetic. Yet, if you were to read various Subaru Forums from that same time period, you'd swear that M1 was liquid death to those engines.

The kicker is that my '05 LGT consistently lost approximately a quarter of a quart every 3K miles with the supposedly magical "German Castrol."

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oil consumption was fixed on my 2013 2.5 after changing out the evap purge valve. Never threw a code and dealer said it was normal to burn 1/2-3/4qt per 1500miles or so:)

The only reason i figured it out was i heard a slight whistling noise and tracked it down the purge value.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Oil consumption was fixed on my 2013 2.5 after changing out the evap purge valve. Never threw a code and dealer said it was normal to burn 1/2-3/4qt per 1500miles or so:)

The only reason i figured it out was i heard a slight whistling noise and tracked it down the purge value.

My daily driver is a 2013 Outback that is supposed to have oil consumption issues, but I've never seen the low oil light come on. But now that I think about it, I've also never once pulled the oil stick to see if it was low, but not low enough to cause the light to come on. I'll get it checked sometime before the 10 year/ 100,000 mile powertrain warranty expires.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I took my Ascent in for its first oil change, it was still on the full mark. This is our fifth Subaru. The only one that uses any oil is my wife's 2014 Forester. Even that one is erratic and I haven't figured out the pattern yet. It can go for months without using any oil and then it will use a quart in 2 weeks. After about 120,000 miles my 2011 Outback would be about 1/2 a quart low when I took it in for an oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts