Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new owner here.

I do have oil changes for life - so I didn’t go with fumoto over the benefits of having a neodymium magnet in the rain plug.

I did buy one from Amazon and although they delivered it and uploaded a picture of it on my doorstep - I never took hands on ownership :-(

I do remember ordering a magnet from a place that caters to mini’s but I ordered it for my Honda generator. Anyways, Mini Mania is the place. So I placed an order and it came in today so I decided to get it done.

installed and torqued to 35

And placed the magnets it in filter...

I was worried about a member on here who posted about filter being frozen and other post mentioned rot or corrosion on the pan.

Anways, did my 4.8 and thought about marking the stick with a razor and monitoring for creep.

I tend to keep my vehicles and hope this one is a keeper!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just don't be like me and forget to transfer the magnets in the filter with each oil filter change. I had to buy a new magnet ring for my GMC pickup's Allison transmission spin on filter because I forgot to transfer it. At least it was not too pricey.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...new magnet ring for my GMC pickup's Allison transmission spin on filter...
After I put in the circular disk magnets, I thought about a single neodymium ring. It would actually be better I believe and would fit perfectly (provided the ID fit the OD of the filter lip.

I know the magnet on the plug was so strong that I had to try several times to insert it without the magnet attaching to the exterior or the ID threads of the oil pan.

WHICH brings up the next question... has anyone ran an inline transmission fluid filter... inserted a magnetic plug into the trans case, or a magnetic plug into the rear diff?

I have my Primitive belly pans (x3) arriving soon and I want to get it together.

Reactions: RobertD

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is an update...

After a couple hundred miles, I swapped out the USA made by fram 15208AA15A for the Japan made 5208AA130. I can also show you the ferrous material on the magnets on the stock filter before I swapped.

Ascent link discussing the OEM 15208AA15A being made by FRAM w/ lower quality material

At around 400 miles I decided to change the oil and added magnets to a new filter. What I did was install magnets on the existing filter and my wife drove for a few days (greater than 100 miles). I then drained the oil, installed a dimple magnet, pulled this OEM stock filter with the magnets and here is the ferrous material.

Shots of the OEM 15208AA15A oil filter

Shots of the magnets cleaned up and placed on the OEM 15208AA130
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

Comparison between the two... A few members on here have posted that the standard OEM filter is made by FRAM with lowest grade filter material
Tin Liquid Blue Fluid Drink

Installed photo of the OEM 130

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Rumor has it that the Ascent has a special break-in oil that shouldn't be replace prematurely. Have you heard anything about that?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Rumor has it that the Ascent has a special break-in oil that shouldn't be replace prematurely. Have you heard anything about that?
Ugh. This one annoys me (the rumors, plural). I've got access to a ton of technical info on the Ascent, but this one still stands unresolved. 😕 😥
  • I've heard it definitely does.
  • I've heard it definitely does not.
  • I've seen oil analysis reports that seem to indicate it does.
I need to see if any of my friends in Indiana work in engine assembly or in lube. I will try to get to the bottom of this in the next few weeks. In the meantime, if there's anyone who knows for sure (but, not because your dealership told you), please, let us know.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Following because the dealer insisted that we change the oil at 6 months/750 miles (no travel during pandemic). Car wasn't even through the official break-in miles yet.

Ugh. This one annoys me (the rumors, plural). I've got access to a ton of technical info on the Ascent, but this one still stands unresolved. 😕 😥
  • I've heard it definitely does.
  • I've heard it definitely does not.
  • I've seen oil analysis reports that seem to indicate it does.
I need to see if any of my friends in Indiana work in engine assembly or in lube. I will try to get to the bottom of this in the next few weeks. In the meantime, if there's anyone who knows for sure (but, not because your dealership told you), please, let us know.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... I will try to get to the bottom of this in the next few weeks. In the meantime, if there's anyone who knows for sure (but, not because your dealership told you), please, let us know.
Thank you. I would assume oil analysis may show additives foreign to standard synthetic due to the addition and burn off of lubrication on parts (whether) existing or added at the assembly line and the initial leaching of chemicals (on new parts only replicated) during initial high heat / velocity abrasion curing (force wear) during what we call break-in .

I’m no expert but I did stay at a holiday inn.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Yep! That would make total sense! I am still waiting on an answer. Soon, I hope.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
Following because the dealer insisted that we change the oil at 6 months/750 miles (no travel during pandemic). Car wasn't even through the official break-in miles yet.
My dealership asked me to wait until I got to 5,000 miles before the first oil change. I was at 6 months and 4,200 miles. I was finally at 5,000 miles at about the 8-month mark and they happily did the oil change. Strange how each dealership is different.

(Caveat: I have "oil changes for life" (free) ... and that may play a role in my particular dealer's decision)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
My dealership asked me to wait until I got to 5,000 miles before the first oil change. I was at 6 months and 4,200 miles. I was finally at 5,000 miles at about the 8-month mark and they happily did the oil change. Strange how each dealership is different.

(Caveat: I have "oil changes for life" (free) ... and that may play a role in my particular dealer's decision)
I think I only had the first change free so they acted like it was a benefit that I was getting a change based on the time. I met with the service manager and he insisted that they always go by time or miles whichever is first even for the first change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts