Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
I haven't used it yet, but I bought an oil pump so I can pump the oil out from the top. That combined with the filter up top means I can do an oil change in about 10 mins without getting under the car!

Dealer did my first oil change as I had to have it in to install my 2nd row window shades anway, and it was free. Will probably just do my 2nd one myself to avoid the hassle of going to the dealer.... I'll see though as I do have 3 more changes "free".

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
F108/f108n

For those interested and don't feel like digging, it's the F108 or F108N. Both fit. The F108N has a nipple at the bottom (hence the "N") to attach a hose to for clean draining.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a certain amount of free services and credits when I purchased. When that runs out, I have my Fumoto ready for install. I have had one on every single vehicle I have ever owned. I usually use my dad's lift garage, but it's 3 hours away and he's getting old enough we probably won't have that option much longer. I'm excited at how easy it looks to access the underside (fumoto future location) and oil filter on the Ascent. Seems like I won't mind doing maintenance on it at all, vs. my Honda Odyssey, which I love but which seems designed to cause oil-spills during maintenance.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I did this oil change a while ago but finally got around to editing the video. Added a Fumoto Valve to make future changes easier.

https://youtu.be/8WWCDR47AD0

Great video. thanks. I already purchased the valve and I am waiting for my first oil change to be due. I will be installing the valve that works with the hose. Using the hose will eliminate any oil dripping on my hands or outside due to valve orientation.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great video. thanks. I already purchased the valve and I am waiting for my first oil change to be due. I will be installing the valve that works with the hose. Using the hose will eliminate any oil dripping on my hands or outside due to valve orientation.
I bought a little plastic elbow nipple at the hardware store that fits over the short nipple on my fumoto valve. I bought the short nipple version not knowing if there would be clearance/interference with the full nipple version. The valve does make changes so quick.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for the video - just ordered my valve. Just a note to that fumoto says to use a crescent wrench to tighten and not a socket - cant imagine it would harm anything but just wanted to note that.

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I purchased my Fumoto valve prior to even receiving my Ascent. I had planned on having the dealership do the first one or two oil changes and then I would take over but the price of the oil change with the dealer coupons that seem to be readily available just in the nick of time make it hard to justify. Last oil and filter change cost me $40. I did not have to lift a finger, separately purchase the oil and filter or crawl under the vehicle. I am debating if and when I can ask the dealership to install the valve during the next oil and filter change (or maybe I just hold on to it for some years from now). Without the coupons it still is only about $60 and during this time they complete the multi-point inspection at no additional cost.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Another handy item to have is the OEM Tools no spill funnel. I bought this after my first oil change in the Ascent because getting oil INTO the vehicle can also be a challenge. Here is a pic. Did my 12K service yesterday with it and the Fumoto. It can be purchased here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779LCG9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 1106
Nice, this and the extractor = 15min oil change

What I like about the extractor vs oil drain pan is it’s tall so takes up way less floor space.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
..Last oil and filter change cost me $40. I did not have to lift a finger, separately purchase the oil and filter or crawl under the vehicle. I am debating if and when I can ask the dealership to install the valve during the next oil and filter change (or maybe I just hold on to it for some years from now). Without the coupons it still is only about $60 and during this time they complete the multi-point inspection at no additional cost.

Your thoughts?
So I’ve done one oil change after installing the drain valve. It was the easiest thing I’ve ever done to a car. I trust dealers doing a multi point inspection about as much as I trust they’ll torque lugnuts properly. Last time I got an inspection report they recommended I replace the cabin air filter. That’s yet another reason I’m not going back there since I had just replaced it myself. So even if it was free I’d still pass on the dealer oil changes and multipoint inspections. Plus I enjoy the satisfaction of doing my own maintenance, properly.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I purchased my Fumoto valve prior to even receiving my Ascent. I had planned on having the dealership do the first one or two oil changes and then I would take over but the price of the oil change with the dealer coupons that seem to be readily available just in the nick of time make it hard to justify. Last oil and filter change cost me $40. I did not have to lift a finger, separately purchase the oil and filter or crawl under the vehicle. I am debating if and when I can ask the dealership to install the valve during the next oil and filter change (or maybe I just hold on to it for some years from now). Without the coupons it still is only about $60 and during this time they complete the multi-point inspection at no additional cost.

Your thoughts?
With the oil filter up top, I personally see no reason to go to the dealer after the free included oil changes.

It takes me 15mins to pull out the extractor, suck up the oil, change filter, and pour in new oil.

Add another 15mins to drive somewhere to dispose of it. But I combine my errands as much as possible.

The dealership I prefer to use is 30-45mins away so it’s it’s much more convenient to DIY.

P.s. The guys doing the oil changes are usually fresh out of tech school. Gotta start somewhere!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Another handy item to have is the OEM Tools no spill funnel. I bought this after my first oil change in the Ascent because getting oil INTO the vehicle can also be a challenge. Here is a pic. Did my 12K service yesterday with it and the Fumoto. It can be purchased here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779LCG9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The most recent oil change on the Ascent was probably the most frustrating experience I've had to date. The funnel slipped out as I was pouring the oil and got all over the undertray. Spent a good hour trying to clean it up. I was so annoyed with myself.
Made sure to get a long neck funnel for the next change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the oil filter up top, I personally see no reason to go to the dealer after the free included oil changes.

It takes me 15mins to pull out the extractor, suck up the oil, change filter, and pour in new oil.

Add another 15mins to drive somewhere to dispose of it. But I combine my errands as much as possible.

The dealership I prefer to use is 30-45mins away so it’s it’s much more convenient to DIY.

P.s. The guys doing the oil changes are usually fresh out of tech school. Gotta start somewhere!
Have you tried pulling the drain plug after you have pumped out all the oil to see if it is getting everything out? I have a pump that I use for my boat but haven't tried it on the ascent yet. I may try it next change and then pull the plug to see if it is really getting to the bottom of the pan. The pan has a small deep part right where the drain plug is. I hope the hose is able to get all the way down there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the video - just ordered my valve. Just a note to that fumoto says to use a crescent wrench to tighten and not a socket - cant imagine it would harm anything but just wanted to note that.
the nut on the front of the valve is actually a nipple (threaded in the body ) so if you over tight it you might crack the body of the valve, hence is recommended tighten it by the body ,croissant wrench is the best tool for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts